Picture quality - stills with the P7700

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions
Mlots
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
Picture quality - stills with the P7700
May 4, 2013

Hi all,

I am looking for a good quality compact digital for when I travel.  I have been torn between the Nikon P770, Canon G15 and Sony RX100.  I read many reviews and I'm still trying to figure out which camera will produce the best image quality.  That is my priority.  Has anyone had any hands on experience with these cameras to form an opinion on image quality of the P7700 and the others?

Thanks!

Mike

St. Louis, MO

Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
yk387
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
Re: Picture quality - stills with the P7700
In reply to Mlots, May 5, 2013

I spent SOLID 3 MONTHS researching.  My main concern is travel photos (about 85% of the time).  I looked at G15 and others.  What made the final choice is excellent (+++) 28 mm x 200mm lens on P7700.  That's what I bought about 2 months ago.  My main travel vacation is mid June, so for now I just taking some casual pictures.  The quality is superb.  The most important for me was reviews by people who own DSLR's and they almost all highly regard this camera.

My previous and still great working camera is Lumix ZS3 bought in 2009 with beautiful 25-300mm Leica lens.  As I said, majority of my pictures are scenic travel pictures of hiking, trekking in some gorgeous locations. (example: Alaska, Southern Patagonia,  Yellowstone, Costa Rica, etc.).  So, that was one of the main reason that I selected P7700 as to have a much respected 28-200mm lens with great minimum aperture for low light.  What I think, before I take my new camera on my big trip, I will be missing a wide angle for some mountain views: 25mm was before and 28mm is now.  So, I researched a lot and finally bought 0.75 wide angle converter lens – Lumix DMW-LW46.  I took pictures inside the house: the original wide angle 28mm on my P7700 and the addition of 0.75 converter making it 21mm.  I had never tried in my life anything wide than 25mm, and now I can go that wide!  I am very impressed, and that 0.75 brand new converter lens cost me only $82 including shipping plus $5 for 40.5mm – 46mm adapter ring.

Good luck with your camera decision!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 1,957Gear list
Like?

The RX100 has a larger sensor and probably better image quality. I own a P7700 and it is easily good enough to compete with my DSLR in good light.  The 28-200 zoom is great. Many would probably recommend the RX100 more highly, but for me the P7700's features trumped the RX100.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF
jdshaw
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?

Nikon P7700.

Tazz_25
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?

Coolpix P7700 hands down. Here are a few examples.

Excellent travel camera and and great back up to my D700. No regrets

Tazz_25's gear list:Tazz_25's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR
Mlots
Like?
In reply to Tazz_25, May 5, 2013

Thanks everyone for your input and the wonderful samples!  I do have a few questions about the P7700's lens.  Do you see any barrel distortion in real life shots?  I read that the P7700 shows a rather large barrel distortion at wide angle.  Also, does anyone notice any softness in the corners with this lens?  Once again, this is something I read on one of the online reviews.  Thanks again for all of your help!

Mike

yk387
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
In reply to Mlots, May 6, 2013

Mlots wrote:

Thanks everyone for your input and the wonderful samples!  I do have a few questions about the P7700's lens.  Do you see any barrel distortion in real life shots?  I read that the P7700 shows a rather large barrel distortion at wide angle.  Also, does anyone notice any softness in the corners with this lens?  Once again, this is something I read on one of the online reviews.  Thanks again for all of your help!

Mike

This is what "Digital Camera Resource" is written by a pro reviewing the camera.  Nothing big at all, and I own P7700 and see nothing big also.

I must admit that I was a bit worried about redeye problems when I saw how close together the flash and lens are. Thankfully, the P7700 has no such problem, due to the digital removal system that runs after the photo is taken.

Distortion Correction off (default) Distortion Correction on

There's a moderate amount of barrel distortion at the wide-angle end of the Coolpix's 28 - 200 mm lens. Nikon has provided a distortion correction feature that does a good job of "flattening" everything out. My only question is why this feature is on by default! Two lens issues that I did not see on the chart or in the real world were corner blurring or vignetting.

Mlots
Like?
In reply to yk387, May 7, 2013

Thank you very much for the information.  I read the review.  It appears that the other review that I read did not state that in-camera processing will greatly reduce the barrel distortion.  I discovered that the other cameras reviewed included the in-camera processing to lessen the distortion but it was not made clear that this processing is not the default setting on the Nikon.  Thanks again!

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads