Samsung Nx20 VS Sony Nex-5R

Started May 4, 2013 | Questions
PhantomPersona
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Samsung Nx20 VS Sony Nex-5R
May 4, 2013

Hi there, i aske this question in the open talk but i feel i may be able to get a better answer here.

I'm an beginner photographer upgrading from a olympus point and shoot. I want to be able to shoot beautiful pictures of my family and places i travel to. I have narrowed down the field to these 2 cameras because i can get them for both around the same price..

I heard alot of good things about the Nex and i even tried the demo at the local bestbuy. The AF was extremely quick and the photos looked great. I liked the form factor as it felt comfortable in my hands and has fast buffer and a great touch screen. iw as dead set on getting it till...

On the other hand, i see that the NX20, which got a great review on youtube videos and photographyblog.com, has me contemplating a little bit. I haven't demoed it because the stores around me don't have it. I know the form factor is a little bit more bulky than the nex but still way smaller than a typical dslr. I also hear it has a excellent EVF which the nex-5r doesn't have and a bigger MP count....which i know doesn't always count to a better overall picture but...but i hear it has a very slow buffer and a worse AF than the Sony Nex..

So can anyone with experience using both or either chime in and give me a push in the right direction?

Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
Re: Samsung Nx20 VS Sony Nex-5R
In reply to PhantomPersona, May 5, 2013

Hehe, I would take NEX6

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PhantomPersona
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, May 5, 2013

Knallberto wrote:

Hehe, I would take NEX6

OOh why??? Im pretty sure it's the same as a nex-5r but with a view finder right? Sadly the nex-6 is out of my student price range... BUt if you got experience using the nex-5r or the samsung nx-20, please feel free to chime in.

tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,270Gear list
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, May 5, 2013

those two might have a similar price tag but are different cameras when you look at some details

To as well say it that way: both will get you great image quality whereas I rate the NX20 better below ISO800 and the Sony better above ISO2500+ so depending on you shooting habbit you might preselect them based on that

The other main difference is that the OOC JPEGs from the NEX are better while on the NX20 you need to shoot RAW to take full advantage of the Sensors capabilities.

Regards handling  the NEX5 is smaller while I personally find it way to small to hold it comfortably but that is my taste... you might be able to use the NEX5r properly.

The NX20 has two main advantages over the NEX5 which is the EVF (which is why the proper comparision would be with the NEX6, which has a higher price tag) and the swivel screen (although the tilting one on the NEX is as well pretty useful) but even if they have the same resolution the NX20 has 3" on 4:3 while the NEX runs on 3" on 16:9 so the usable size for normal 4:3 images on any of the NEX is ... let me mildly say it... SMALL.

Compared with the 3,3" on the NX300 the NEX LCD/OLED is toyish......which BTW would be the  Samsung NX camera to compare here and I guess here I would not hesitate to recommend to you as the NX20 has some operational quirks (which you can live with but the NX300 is the more agile one)

When it comes to lens selection I believe Sony now has a reasonable selection but I personally still question the way Sony approaches that. They rely heavily on SW corrections, while most any Samsung lens (beside the NX 16mm pancake) is usable without SW corrections (at least when it comes to CA)

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +18 more
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,118Gear list
Like?

as tjobbe already pointed out, you should compare nex5r to nx300 and nx20 to nex6. I much prefer nx lenses to nex ones.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
PhantomPersona
Like?
In reply to tjobbe, May 5, 2013

tjobbe wrote:

those two might have a similar price tag but are different cameras when you look at some details

To as well say it that way: both will get you great image quality whereas I rate the NX20 better below ISO800 and the Sony better above ISO2500+ so depending on you shooting habbit you might preselect them based on that

The other main difference is that the OOC JPEGs from the NEX are better while on the NX20 you need to shoot RAW to take full advantage of the Sensors capabilities.

Regards handling  the NEX5 is smaller while I personally find it way to small to hold it comfortably but that is my taste... you might be able to use the NEX5r properly.

The NX20 has two main advantages over the NEX5 which is the EVF (which is why the proper comparision would be with the NEX6, which has a higher price tag) and the swivel screen (although the tilting one on the NEX is as well pretty useful) but even if they have the same resolution the NX20 has 3" on 4:3 while the NEX runs on 3" on 16:9 so the usable size for normal 4:3 images on any of the NEX is ... let me mildly say it... SMALL.

Compared with the 3,3" on the NX300 the NEX LCD/OLED is toyish......which BTW would be the  Samsung NX camera to compare here and I guess here I would not hesitate to recommend to you as the NX20 has some operational quirks (which you can live with but the NX300 is the more agile one)

When it comes to lens selection I believe Sony now has a reasonable selection but I personally still question the way Sony approaches that. They rely heavily on SW corrections, while most any Samsung lens (beside the NX 16mm pancake) is usable without SW corrections (at least when it comes to CA)

Thanks for posting~! What are these operational quirks you speak of? I hear that the AF isn't so good and the buffer speed is insanely slow.. are there other "quirks" that put it below the Nex-5R?

Also what camera would be best to take the best candid photos? or semi-fast screnes.. For instance like my little brother running  in the grass..

PhantomPersona
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, May 5, 2013

tecnoworld wrote:

as tjobbe already pointed out, you should compare nex5r to nx300 and nx20 to nex6. I much prefer nx lenses to nex ones.

I would compare the Nex-6 to the Nx-20 but the they are in different price points..Both the NX-20 and the Nex-5R can be had for around $500 which is my price range.

wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?

PhantomPersona wrote:

Hi there, i aske this question in the open talk but i feel i may be able to get a better answer here.

I'm an beginner photographer upgrading from a olympus point and shoot. I want to be able to shoot beautiful pictures of my family and places i travel to. I have narrowed down the field to these 2 cameras because i can get them for both around the same price..

How important is flash?

The NEX-5R does not have a hot shoe, and if you use the proprietary HVL-F20S or a hotshoe adapter (which require wireless flashes as they can't support the weight of heavy flashes) then you can't use a viewfinder anymore.

On the other hand, if you'll never use flash then the 5R would do it. Otherwise I'd also see the NEX-6 as the alternative.

Basically, the pro and cons imho:

NEX-5R:

+ very good high ISO performance
+ optional viewfinder (tilt EVF)
+ tilt lcd
+ better third party support
+ very good for legacy lenses: focus peaking, touch screen (touch -> magnify + peaking)
- no hotshoe
- weird base plate, not really good for tripod use unless you use a tripod collar or lens adaptor with tripod mount
- expensive e-mount lenses
- UI

NX20:

+ very good low ISO performance
+ integrated EVF
+ hot shoe
+ swivel OLED screen
+ a couple very good lenses
+ cheap
+ WIFI
+ much better UI
- not too many lenses
- shooting legacy lenses is not the same as on a NEX-5/5N/5R (no peaking, only center MF loupe)
- almost no third party support

NEX-6:

same as 5R, but:
+ integrated EVF
+ WIFI
+ Apps (timelapse, bracketing etc)
+ hot shoe
- UI 
- Apps (if you can'T buy them in your country or don't want to spend extra money for stuff that's should standard)
- no touchscreen

NX300:
+ better high ISO performance than previous NX models
+ tilt screen
+ focus peaking (still only center MF loupe though)
+ even better UI
- some people seem to have issues with their quality of their copies
- sounds a bit immature (shooting performance,..)
- Samsung tend to release new improved versions instead of fixing the previous models. I'd wait for the successor.

I don't agree that the NEX lenses need a lot of software correction. This might be correct for the first few of them, but the NEX system has a few "gems" (so does the NX).

However Sony seems to be pushing their system a bit more. They've released a few good lenses now, while it took Samsung ages to release their recent 45mm f1.8 lens.

Some very good lenses (imho, from what I've seen / read - I haven't tested all of them):

NEX:

Sony 35mm f1.8 OSS 
Sony 50mm f1.8
Sigma 19mm f2.8 (costs like 100$)
Sigma 30mm f2.8 (also about 100$)
Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8 (really expensive..) 
Sony 10-18mm f4 OSS

And there's also a new 20mm f2.8 Pancake that seems to be much better than their old 16mm pancake ...

Plus there are 2 new Zeiss lenses, but they are really really expensive.

NX:

Basically all of them, and they are a lot (!) cheaper.

The outstanding ones imho:
30mm f2 pancake 
60mm macro
85mm f1.4

I wouldn't expect a much bigger NX lens selection in the near future though.

However with 2 or 3 of the pancakes + maybe the 20-50mm zoom you have a very decent pocketable system.
An NX1000 + 30mm f2 pancake would be a super-pocketable combo, and there is no way you could get the same from Sony at that price point.

Personally I'd recommend:

- NX20 "best of all worlds" if you can get it for a good price and are looking for a system with decent but cheap lenses and don't need anything else.

- NEX-6 if you want to spend a bit more, especially in the future (lenses).

- NEX-5R if you want a compact camera and a good and increasing (but expensive) lens selection and don't care about "serious" stuff like flash etc

- NX1000 or the NX300 successor (NX310?) if you're looking for a pocketable NEX-5 alternative from Samsung, are happy with the NX lens selection and don't need an EVF.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,118Gear list
Like?
In reply to wictred, May 5, 2013

Well, I guess (and personally hope) that a successor to nx300 won't be out for another year, at least....and I hope that Samsung becomes more reactive in fw upgrade and bugfixing, since this would bring a lot mor value to its products (and hence more customers and better brand recognition and reputation).

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,455Gear list
Like?

NEX 5R vs NX20,

Focus: I would give the edge to NX20, I like to use flexible/single point and set where I want.  The benefit to NX20 is you can adjust the point size (NEX is fixed) and focus is probably the same or faster with most lenses.  Avoid the 20-50mm for fast focus, I think it is one of the slower focusing lenses.

Form Factor: I prefer the larger grip on the NX20, but had to sell it when I got the NX300.  Form factor is up to personal use, but the NEX 5R has a pretty small screen as already pointed out due to the 16x9 ratio.  I prefer the manual controls on the NX.  Fully articulated screen on NX is nice.

Video: I would give the edge to NEX, but NX is fine for casual video.  I don't have any problems with it, just I don't think there are a lot of controls for it, etc, I rarely use video so my knowledge is limited in this subject.

Accessories/External Flash: The NEX uses a proprietary accessory port which can be used for a viewfinder or flash.  The NX20 has a built in viewfinder, but other models do not support one.  All NX cameras have a standard hotshoe which can be used for manual flash triggers if that is interesting to you, or the little shoe mount flashes included with the camera (might be a couple more powerful units sold separately).

Image quality:  NX20 to NX300 seems to be improvement in JPEG quality.  As it is, you probably want to avoid JPEG and high ISO on the NX20, but it is still good in RAW as Tjobbe pointed out.  From what I hear NEX JPEG quality isn't that great either.

Firmware: I would give the edge to Sony, it is more mature feeling.  I think the Samsung firmware is not as complete yet, but they are better about updating it when they find bugs (Sony is like Nikon/Canon, they only release firmware when they absolutely have to).

Lenses: Make sure each system has the lenses you want.  I would start with maybe 18-55mm OIS or my favorite are the pancakes and primes.  I have a 12-24, 16, 30, 45, 60, and 85mm.  That is overkill, if I had to start with one of those I would say 30mm is great bang for the buck, it is a couple stops larger aperture than the kit lens and is very sharp corner to corner, and is small.

For Sony, it seems some of the lenses don't perform as well as I would care for, but the 24mm f/1.8, 35mm f/1.8, and 50mm f/1.8 all look good.  The 16-50mm is fine if you don't mind extreme lens corrections, and 10-18mm is great, but not on the NEX 7.

Both Samsung and Sony use software based lens corrections for some lenses.

Sony has more OIS lenses.

Buffer:  I haven't used the 5R much, but the RAW buffer is slow on the NX20, and what is worse it locks you out of controls.  This camera is not great for back to back shooting, but if you get a good class 10 card (I prefer the SanDisk UHS-I cards) it is tolerable in most circumstances (it will be a problem for some).  The NX300 fixes this by keeping you from being locked out of the controls on the camera while it is writing and allows you to take additional shots before emptying the buffer (the NX20 had to write everything out before it would unlock in some cases).  The downside with NX300 is the buffer appears smaller (went from 8 to 4 or 5 shots).  So the NX20 is fast, can shoot 8 raw shots in 1 second, but the issue is you are locked out of the camera for at least 15 seconds afterwards (with a fastest memory card, or up to 30+ seconds for a slow memory card).

Value: I would give the value edge to Samsung, especially if you find deals on the camera.  If you don't need the articulated screen there have been deals on an NX1000 going around for only $300 with a kit lens.  No viewfinder option on this camera, but small camera and great deal.

Bottom Line:

I think if you could find a deal on the NX300 it would be most like 5R form factor, but it just came out so the deals haven't started as much on it (I got mine for $650 US with lens, $100 off).

Sony is the more mainstream company at this point.  It is like buying a Canon/Nikon instead of a Fuji or Pentax.  This may or may not be important to you.  The problem with the Samsung is you aren't going to be able to walk into many stores in the US and try one (I think Frys might have them, not sure where else).  I have ordered mine all site unseen.  You can always order from a store like Amazon or BH and return the camera if you aren't satisfied with it.  Samsung fixed my camera quickly under warranty when I had issue with it.

I still am very happy with my Samsung's and prefer them to the Sony, but both are great cameras. I prefer the lenses on Samsung, but Sony has improved a lot in this in the last year, their prices are still much too high on the lenses I like, with their 50mm f/1.8 being their best deal.  I think they set price points too high on like the 35mm f/1.8 and 20mm f/2.8, and definitely too high on the 10-18mm (12-24mm is a better lens optically and $250 less expensive, but lacks 10mm wide, too wide for me most of the time).

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,455Gear list
Like?

PhantomPersona wrote:

tjobbe wrote:

Thanks for posting~! What are these operational quirks you speak of? I hear that the AF isn't so good and the buffer speed is insanely slow.. are there other "quirks" that put it below the Nex-5R?

I think AF speed is significantly better on NX, more flexible.  See my novel I wrote

Also what camera would be best to take the best candid photos? or semi-fast screnes.. For instance like my little brother running  in the grass..

This is tough, this takes practice more than camera gear.  I would say NX is better at this, but technique is still very important.  What I do is set the focus to AF-S and get a focus point where you want it.  Depress the shutter all the way and when the subject is in focus the camera will snap the shot almost instantly after it is focused so the first shot should be in focus.  The touch focus can be handy here to change focus points, which the 5R and NX300 offer.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
paulhome
Contributing MemberPosts: 833Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, May 5, 2013

both quite nice, wont go far wrong with either,=.

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,276Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, May 5, 2013

Great post.  I would add that the ergonomics and interface of the Samsung cameras are superb.  Also, no experience with Sony NEX, but have been impressed with Samsung focus accuracy (always one of Sony's strong points), white balance, exposure and general tonality of images.  But it looks like Samsung will be emphasizing connectivity over the photographic experience in the future.

Timmbits
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?

PhantomPersona wrote:

I heard alot of good things about the Nex and i even tried the demo at the local bestbuy. The AF was extremely quick and the photos looked great. I liked the form factor as it felt comfortable in my hands and has fast buffer and a great touch screen. iw as dead set on getting it till...

On the other hand, i see that the NX20, which got a great review on youtube videos and photographyblog.com, has me contemplating a little bit. I haven't demoed it because the stores around me don't have it. I know the form factor is a little bit more bulky than the nex but still way smaller than a typical dslr. I also hear it has a excellent EVF which the nex-5r doesn't have and a bigger MP count....which i know doesn't always count to a better overall picture but...but i hear it has a very slow buffer and a worse AF than the Sony Nex..

So can anyone with experience using both or either chime in and give me a push in the right direction?

IMHO, the NX20 is a safer bet.  I chose it over Sony for the following reasons:

1. very FAST performance (I fire off 8 jpegs a second to capture nice movement sequences of my daughter learning to skateboard)
  2. amazing images with vivid, crisp detail
  3. Lenses*
  4. articulated AMOLED screen (need I say more?)
  5. ergonomics: no comparison at all between the two - hold the Sony, then the Samsung, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
  6. and I can't say enough about the well-designed Fn quick menu.  (it also has a nice iFn button on some lenses, but I find myself using the Fn more)
  7. good balance of manual control buttons - not as good as on my Fuji X-S1 I have up for sale, but pretty darn good compared to most cameras that I've used, and better than the Sony for sure.

* some lenses are better than Sony's (you have to go Sony DSLR if you want decent lenses on Sony or spend over a thousand dollars for the nice Zeiss brand lens).  Not all Samsung lenses are better than the Sony lenses as some may have you think, for example, the 18-55 is pretty much equivalent.  But... the Samsung prime lenses are far superior.  The 30mm f/2 which I am using is unequaled in IQ and Bokeh in the mirrorless world right now.  And the very affordable 20-50mm zoom is very good also.  There's also a 50-200mm available if you need telephoto.

In my opinion, Samsung NX20 versus Sony Nex-7 would be a far more level playing field comparison, and even then, the Sony would be disadvantaged by it's lenses.

You can also search youtube, where Kai compares having a good lens with cheap body versus cheap lens with better camera.  the answer is better lens is more important.  with the samsung, you have a great value in both.

On a more personal note, I've been using an NX20 for a few months now, and I love it. I will be selling it because I want to get an NX300 that I can slip into my pocket (with the 30mm pancake), like a Fuji x100s, for street photography. I'm kind of on the fence on whether to keep it, but financial responsibility suggest I shouldn't be allowed to keep both toys. Contact me if you're interested.

Timmbits's gear list:Timmbits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS +4 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Timmbits
Like?

PhantomPersona wrote:

Yes, one of his "good" posts... you don't want to see his bad ones!  ;-p  hahaha OK, joking aside, I liked that post too.  Let me chime in here...

I feel that the "insanely slow" is an incorrect characterization.  First, at the price that Sony accepts to sell you a camera for, I wouldn't expect an equivalent result or quality to Samsung.  It's a bit of an unfair comparison... you're comparing Samsung's best with one of Sony's cheapest.

Let me put some things into perspective.  I was looking at full frame cameras on here, checking out performance... and I ask the question: why is it OK to obtain 3fps on a $9,000 full frame camera, but it is not acceptable to get 4, 5, or 6fps on a $900 camera?  Where is the logic behind such complaints?

I've done scenes of my daughter learning to do an Ollie on her skateboard, and I can tell you, that I get action shots with the NX20 no problem at all.  Are some complaints from bad camera manipulation by the user?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS +4 more
Timmbits
Like?

PhantomPersona wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

I would compare the Nex-6 to the Nx-20 but the they are in different price points..Both the NX-20 and the Nex-5R can be had for around $500 which is my price range.

You are both right. But I think it is an issue of price point.  Although the NX20 is in the same league as the NEX6 and NEX7, the latter two are just too pricey.

I think the issue here, is that if he is willing to settle for not having a viewfinder, he could arguably even compare the 5R with an NX210.

Bottom line, with Sony, you get a big compromise for that price, and with Samsung, you get top of the line at the same price.  (what I mean by top of the line, I'm taking mirrorless of course, and not comparing with professional full-frame gear)

tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,270Gear list
Like?

PhantomPersona wrote:

regards AF: the AF speed is really fine when you attached the right lens. I do not think that you are faster with any Sony NEX.

If I should judge, the new NX300 with the touchAF&Release is really fine as well it is significantly faster when you do NOT prefocus but shoot straight away.

What I did use on some of the spider macros I posted here in my NX300 macro thread is the tracking AF as that is a real improvement (touch the object and let the NX300 follow it) so that this beasically seconds my vote for the NX300 as being the one I would compare to the NEX5r (where the NX300 wins by  on features and functions)

For candid shots I take my white NX1000 (just because no one takes you serious with that camera :-D). The most silent one is the NX20 when using the e-shutter (!)

I do own a Nikon V1 and one J2 and I use those for really silent  (means really no sound at all) so candid shots are working great in combination with the high speed full size burst mode. The Nikon does have a real advantage here when the light is good.

When light is fading away the NX300 is as quick as the V1 (or rather they are both slow) which basically tells you that on low light the NX AF is really working fine (where at least some NEX had some real issues in the past, not sure though if they had fixed that on recent FW versions)

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +18 more
Timmbits
Like?
In reply to wictred, May 5, 2013

wictred wrote:

On the other hand, if you'll never use flash then the 5R would do it. Otherwise I'd also see the NEX-6 as the alternative.

Basically, the pro and cons imho:

NEX-5R:

+ very good high ISO performance
+ optional viewfinder (tilt EVF)
+ tilt lcd
+ better third party support
+ very good for legacy lenses: focus peaking, touch screen (touch -> magnify + peaking)
- no hotshoe
- weird base plate, not really good for tripod use unless you use a tripod collar or lens adaptor with tripod mount
- expensive e-mount lenses
- UI

NX20:

+ very good low ISO performance
+ integrated EVF
+ hot shoe
+ swivel OLED screen
+ a couple very good lenses
+ cheap
+ WIFI
+ much better UI
- not too many lenses
- shooting legacy lenses is not the same as on a NEX-5/5N/5R (no peaking, only center MF loupe)
- almost no third party support

Very good and thorough.  However, you seem to miss the point that some of the models you suggest, like a nex6, or adding an optional viewfinder to the 5r, are combinations that are out of his acceptable price point.

Also, focus peaking works completely well when adapting ANY brand lens with an adapter to an NX camera. Let me clarify: 5X, 8X, and peak bar.  And adapters are only $22, not a few hundred, opening the door to any legacy lenses out there, even super high quality ones selling at significant discounts on ebay. (like the Minolta 50mm f/1.4 I picked up for $100 and which I use with my NX20).

And lastly, I seem to have read in a FEW places that the Samsung has a much wider lens selenction than the NEX line.  Perhaps this has changed... my point is, they offer every lens imaginable that you may need, with no gaps.  Except maybe a faster prime, like a 35mm f1.4... but Sony doesn't have anything like that either, not below $1000 and without an expensive adapter.

Timmbits
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, May 5, 2013

tecnoworld wrote:

Well, I guess (and personally hope) that a successor to nx300 won't be out for another year, at least....and I hope that Samsung becomes more reactive in fw upgrade and bugfixing, since this would bring a lot mor value to its products (and hence more customers and better brand recognition and reputation).

I take it that this comment is towards the NX300.  You are right.  But let's put things into perspective.  Many manufacturers have bugs and glitches when they introduce a new product... Fuji, Nikon, Canon, Sony... no one wants it, but they all get it here and there. It is very unfortunate that there may be bugs, but in today's world where hardware contains firmware and software, it's become a reality. What is important here, is that I think all would probably be unanimous in saying that they'll iron out any issues in the NX300 software.  As for the NX20, the model this thread is supposed to be talking about, it works quite nicely, as it's got a certain product maturity under it's belt.

Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
In reply to Timmbits, May 5, 2013

Timmbits wrote:

Samsung NX20 versus Sony Nex-7 would be a far more level playing field comparison, and even then, the Sony would be disadvantaged by it's lenses.

Did you ever use a NEX7 ... I think: NO .. otherwise you would forget NX20

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads