Fuji X20 Settings for Concert?

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions
davidfort
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Fuji X20 Settings for Concert?
May 4, 2013

So I went to a couple of concerts the last few days and the pictures I took didn't come out quite as I expected. Does anyone know the best settings? Like what mode, which focus, shutter speed, etc.

Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
arejukas
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X20 Settings for Concert?
In reply to davidfort, May 5, 2013

Hi  David, I haven't tried it at a concert yet, but maybe have had some similar lighting situations. Here's a quick run down of what has worked for me in low or mixed light situations with moving people.

Although I tend to use either aperture priority, or P mode on the X20 during the day with good lighting, if people are moving around in low light, I tend to use shutter priority to control blurring. I don't use the enhanced DR mode, and for JPEGS at night I set it on BW-yellow with NR at -2 or -1, Sharpening and Shadows at -1, and Highlights at +1. I use exposure compensation to adjust on the fly (the dial seems to be in just the right place on the X20).

I don't go higher than ISO 800 and I do normally use an all raw workflow (except for a few tries with the in camera panorama mode, or focus stacking). I import through Aperture rather than ACR, and then finish processing in CS6 with Topaz deNoise for NR and Alien Skin for touch-ups, film simulation or color toning.

In low light or mixed light settings, I kept the IS on and adjust the shutter speed between a compromise of ~1/160 to minimize blurring of people shots, and sometimes very slow shutter speeds in the 1/8 to 1 sec range leading to swirling/blurred movements in larger room shots, but occasionally with the flash in slow synch mode to stop action on a main subject (probably not an option in a concert venue).

The higher ISO images look best to me in monochrome with light NR and some added simulated film grain. You can't get around the physics of a sensor 1/16th the size of a full-frame one, so expect to deal with more high ISO noise and less DR, but this little X-Trans sensor seems to produce better looking pictures than you would expect under tough lighting conditions. You can see some examples in the gallery on my blog.

Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --
 arejukas's gear list:arejukas's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yellodog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?

I've only been to one small concert with the X20. I used ISO 640 and A mode with the aperture pretty much wide open. Here is a shot straight from RAW with no PP. The zoom was more or less fully extended so the IS is pretty good at 1/20 of a second if the artists don't bounce around too much.

XavierP56
Contributing MemberPosts: 919
Like?

Here's my method:

- Go in manuel mode.

- ISO 1600, RAW, DR100%

Concert with lights and huge area of dark means you can't trust the camera meter.

- Choose an aperture f/4, speed like 1/125.

- Take a picture and estimate if the exposure is adequate or not.

A noisy picture can be corrected using Lightroom. A blurried one can NOT. That's the main point : try to use the right speed for your focal and adjust the aperture. With practice, you'll be fine.

davidfort
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to XavierP56, May 5, 2013

Thanks for the replies guys! Now what do I do about the exposure? The whole time I shot it was with a slow shutter speed. If I sped it up the pictures seemed way too dark but most posts I've seen said use somewhere like 1/125

XavierP56
Contributing MemberPosts: 919
Like?

Shoot RAW. Guess aperture and speed, take a shoot, using the rear LCD, look at the picture...

Shooting RAW will give you some margin to correct the exposure in post-process but it's best to get it as close as possible.

Experience and practice help here.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads