6D vs 7D --- Image Quality (there's no comparison)

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions
Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,280Gear list
Like?
Re: Depends...
In reply to abi170845, May 13, 2013

abi170845 wrote:

I agree with everything that David said, I print from my 7D 60cm x 90cm prints on Kodak metallic glossy paper and they are sharp and I made 8 prints and showed them to my friends and family.  Granted, all of the photos were taken with the 7D at ISO 100 and GND filter and all of them are landscape photos.

I will be getting the 6D in August for my second trip to Phuket Thailand and I may or may not post those photos here(for I am wary about security regarding uploading photos nowdays) not that I shoot at ISO 800 or higher not because of DR, but to be able to use my 14mmL mk2 and Canon 15mm Fisheye lens and also for DOF using the 135mm F2 for portrait work.

Have fun in Thailand!  I would love to go there for a month or so to train (I teach muay thai).  The 6D seems a great camera but don't let others convince you that you should throw away your old prints once you have one.  

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mailman88
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,974Gear list
Like?
In reply to abi170845, May 13, 2013

abi170845  I'll add, with my 50D I shot 3200ISO, printed 13x19 and sold it.  If exposed right, Canon's cropped cams can shoot high-iso and produce great pics for reproduction.

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,801Gear list
Like?
Re: 6D vs 7D --- Image Quality (there's no comparison)
In reply to mariadc, May 13, 2013

I keep trying to like the 6D, because of its low-light abilities, but the positions of its controls are just too frustratingly different from the 5D- and 7D-series, and in low light, I need to be able to operate the controls by feel. At this point in time, I am figuring on either saving longer for a 5D Mark III, or waiting to see if the 7D Mark II or 5D Mark IV will offer the low-light AF ability of the 6D, or even opting for "none of the above." (It is not a matter of "jumping ship," as I am already shooting with both Canon and Nikon cameras, though my Nikon F6 is a film SLR.)

I handled a 6D at an electronics store just last evening, to try the controls once again. I shoot in low light at work, evidentiary photography, primarily with a pair of 7D cameras, and adjust my ISO regularly. Why must Canon arrange the buttons and dials differently on the 6D, compared to the current-generation 5D and 7D? Sometimes, I have to hurry along, such as when fellow emergency workers are blocking a major roadway, at considerable personal risk, so the ability to work the controls reflexively is important.

I can perform my job with APS-C or FF DSLR cameras, so it would be nice if some of the 6D's low-light AF ability will "trickle down" into the 7D Mark II, as it will probably appear on the market well before the next 5D model.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
shoful
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rexgig0, May 13, 2013

I shoot with a 7D and love many aspects of the camera. The advantages are in the simplicity

of use in handling. I love the built in flash and programs to fire my strobes on loacation.

The focusing is not great. It is a chore to get sharp photos. All my lenses were calibrated by canon.

To tell the truth my 20D focused better than my 7D.

I am shortly going to upgrade to a 5D3. Last week I tested out a 6D. It felt like a toy compared

to my 7D or the 5D3. The handeling was terrible. It was just like my 20D. But the 20D is

years old. I am sure the 6D takes fabulous photos. I just spent to much time getting the camera

to do what I want compared to my 7D and most likely the 5D3. The price disparity between the 6D

and 5D3 is a lot. But now I can see why.

Sherwin V Ubaldo
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
In reply to shoful, May 13, 2013

I have to agree with the image quality is really no comparison 6D is way better...  to each its own between the two imho.
To totally trash the 6D for its handling that is a big bull! You have to own one and try longer than a day to admire its weight and and size. I have shot with it on a full wedding coverage. I can go on and on with the weight of the 6D. I own both 7D and now the 6D... I can tell you that the 6D's center focus point is no slouch and I find it more accurate than the 7D given the low light in wedding churches here in the Philippines. The outer points is a different story though; but I am used to using center point from my 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D and even 300D, 350D, 400D, 5Dc, 5DII previous bodies. All lenses are MA'd btw between the 7D and the 6D.

Sherwin V Ubaldo's gear list:Sherwin V Ubaldo's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sherwin V Ubaldo, May 13, 2013

Sherwin V Ubaldo wrote:

I have to agree with the image quality is really no comparison 6D is way better...  to each its own between the two imho.
To totally trash the 6D for its handling that is a big bull! You have to own one and try longer than a day to admire its weight and and size. I have shot with it on a full wedding coverage. I can go on and on with the weight of the 6D. I own both 7D and now the 6D... I can tell you that the 6D's center focus point is no slouch and I find it more accurate than the 7D given the low light in wedding churches here in the Philippines. The outer points is a different story though; but I am used to using center point from my 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D and even 300D, 350D, 400D, 5Dc, 5DII previous bodies. All lenses are MA'd btw between the 7D and the 6D.

I only experienced in short time with 6D in pdn PhotoPlus show in last Oct in NYC Javits Center.  Its button layout is very similar to 60D that I own.  I actually prefer single-purpose top buttons as it's what I only needed as I only shoot in RAW. I do feel miss with big rear dial wheel but I could get used to 8-direction pad (Nikon also uses moving pad) for AF selection on 9-pt 60D AF.  If you only use center AF pt in 6D, then it's even not a big deal.  6D small/light body is the selling point.  Eventually I'd interest in future 6D II or III camera with all cross-pt and better with an articulated LCD to complement to 1DX (that I intend to buy a used copy then, and will sell 5D3 of course).

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Sherwin V Ubaldo
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, May 13, 2013

yeah it takes a getting used to with the 6d controls. i also own the 60d but my crew use it for video instead of stills. i got the 6d for its weight and couple it with 24-70 f2.8 ii will be lighter for me. all bodies have its flaw. what i would like is a cross points on all for the 6d but for now i have to live with what its got and know the weakness. their is no perfect camera anyway so cheers.

Sherwin V Ubaldo's gear list:Sherwin V Ubaldo's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
abi170845
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
In reply to mailman88, May 13, 2013

I agree! I've been hesitating all these time to get an F.F so that I can use my 14mm Mk2 lens and the canon original Fisheye 15mm.  There is no lens like those two.

In my country, the price of 6d has dropped around 300 bucks since it came out, it is about  1700 U.S dollar now, and I will wait till August to get one and hopefully the price will drop again and I can get it with 0 interest for 6 month installment. Not bad.

I went to Thailand in February for 13 days and loved it! the weather and light was gorgeous the people were awesome, I think it was the best photo/vacation that I've ever had. When nature is on your side, taking the photos is such a breeze! I stayed for 13 days and woke up every day for twilight shot and ready at my spot at 6 a.m! and sunsets everyday Golden Light I shot portraits with some models and as sunset nears, ready my tripod overlooking Promthrep Bay!

usedtobedontrustme
Contributing MemberPosts: 527
Like?

Rexgig0 wrote:

I keep trying to like the 6D, because of its low-light abilities, but the positions of its controls are just too frustratingly different from the 5D- and 7D-series, and in low light, I need to be able to operate the controls by feel. At this point in time, I am figuring on either saving longer for a 5D Mark III, or waiting to see if the 7D Mark II or 5D Mark IV will offer the low-light AF ability of the 6D, or even opting for "none of the above." (It is not a matter of "jumping ship," as I am already shooting with both Canon and Nikon cameras, though my Nikon F6 is a film SLR.)

I handled a 6D at an electronics store just last evening, to try the controls once again. I shoot in low light at work, evidentiary photography, primarily with a pair of 7D cameras, and adjust my ISO regularly. Why must Canon arrange the buttons and dials differently on the 6D, compared to the current-generation 5D and 7D? Sometimes, I have to hurry along, such as when fellow emergency workers are blocking a major roadway, at considerable personal risk, so the ability to work the controls reflexively is important.

I can perform my job with APS-C or FF DSLR cameras, so it would be nice if some of the 6D's low-light AF ability will "trickle down" into the 7D Mark II, as it will probably appear on the market well before the next 5D model.

I have a 7d and a 6d and it took a while for me to get used to the different layout of the 6d controls, especially at night. I ended up practicing during the day so that I could use the 6d blindfolded.  now I am used to it. I can't imagine why you would prefer a 7d at night. I love the 6ds size an weight even though my hands are average size for an American Male. now I only use my 7d when I need the reach, which is usually for birds.

-- hide signature --

Some of my pics are in my DPReview Gallery
dt

Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,801Gear list
Like?
In reply to usedtobedontrustme, May 13, 2013

usedtobedontrustme wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

I have a 7d and a 6d and it took a while for me to get used to the different layout of the 6d controls, especially at night. I ended up practicing during the day so that I could use the 6d blindfolded.  now I am used to it. I can't imagine why you would prefer a 7d at night. I love the 6ds size an weight even though my hands are average size for an American Male. now I only use my 7d when I need the reach, which is usually for birds.

-- hide signature --

dt

Actually, I did not buy my first 7D because of its low-light capability, but for birds, wildlife, pets, and youth sports. I use my personal cameras at work, and found that my 7D was a better night-time camera than my 40D, so I eventually acquired a second 7D. To try full-frame, I acquired a pre-owned 5D, with controls very much like the 40D. Unfortunately, the original 5D has no weather-sealing.

Perhaps I should rent a 6D for a week, and see if I can adapt to its controls.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
usedtobedontrustme
Contributing MemberPosts: 527
Like?

Rexgig0 wrote:

usedtobedontrustme wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

-- hide signature --

dt

Actually, I did not buy my first 7D because of its low-light capability, but for birds, wildlife, pets, and youth sports. I use my personal cameras at work, and found that my 7D was a better night-time camera than my 40D, so I eventually acquired a second 7D. To try full-frame, I acquired a pre-owned 5D, with controls very much like the 40D. Unfortunately, the original 5D has no weather-sealing.

Perhaps I should rent a 6D for a week, and see if I can adapt to its controls.

That's a good idea.

why don't you use a flash at work? I would think flash would work well because you don't need artistic quality in forensics.

-- hide signature --

dt

qianp2k
Like?

Rexgig0 wrote:

Regarding weather sealing, all these models, 7D, 6D and 5D series are not true weather sealed compared to 1D/1Ds/DX series. 7D and 5D3 are weather resistant (Canon said it's at old film 1Dv level?) while 5D2/5D1/60D/6D are in a bit lesser level. But old 5Dc doesn't have dust removal feature so not dust sealed. Dust removal feature is not directly related to weather sealing such as old 1DIII is weather sealed but not as good dust removal feature as compared even to 60D. Therefore I need to clean 1DIII more often than 60D (that only did once after more than two years' usage).

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
abi170845
Like?
Just printed 36 10RS (A4 sized) from 7D
In reply to mariadc, May 14, 2013

I was at the print lab at lunch today, and printed 36 photos from 7D, 20 landscapes and 16 natural light portraits, I don't see any problem with noise, banding, etc. Printed on Fuji Pearl Super Glossy whatchamacall it paper just for the hell of it. I usually print 60mm x 90mm on Kodak Metallic Glossy paper so that I do not have to crop, I can print much larger up to 120mm with no problem. Once you print this big for landscape photos, there is no going back.

I shot the portrait photos at ISO 500 indoor natural light inside an abandoned building with tall windows and I don't see any noise at all on the printed photos. Some were even shot at ISO 800.  So the reason why I'm getting the 6D is not for the ISO or DR, it is because I want to use my 14mmL mk2 and the original Canon 15mm Fisheye in which I can only use FF to utilize the full potential of these two lenses, and the 135mm f2 for bokeh of course.

Quick note, every time I print, I have to sit with the guy to adjust the density setting for each photos to get exactly how I like them. Some of the sunset photos was too red and I had to dial down on the machine.  Some were +2 +1 ( the plus darkens the photos) and -1 and 0( the minus lightens the photos) the landscape photos were tricky, too light I lose the saturation and contrast especially if there is mackerel clouds, too dark then the foreground gets too dark eventhough i metered all the photos perfectly wiith GND and ReverseND.

So forget about all these noise baloney when shooting landscape at iso 100, 200 even 300 printen up to 120mm no problem with noise. And natural light indoor portrait up to 600 printed to A4 no problem, ziltch visible noise.

TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 6,117Gear list
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, May 14, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

Regarding weather sealing, all these models, 7D, 6D and 5D series are not true weather sealed compared to 1D/1Ds/DX series. 7D and 5D3 are weather resistant (Canon said it's at old film 1Dv level?) while 5D2/5D1/60D/6D are in a bit lesser level. But old 5Dc doesn't have dust removal feature so not dust sealed. Dust removal feature is not directly related to weather sealing such as old 1DIII is weather sealed but not as good dust removal feature as compared even to 60D. Therefore I need to clean 1DIII more often than 60D (that only did once after more than two years' usage).

According to Canon the 6D's 'dust and drip proofing protection around control buttons and along outer cover seams has been upgraded from the EOS 5D Mark II and is equivalent to the protection on the EOS 5D Mark III.'

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/2012/10/

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
qianp2k
Like?
Re: Just printed 36 10RS (A4 sized) from 7D
In reply to abi170845, May 14, 2013

120mm = 4.72 inches that is very small size. A4 size = 297 x 210 mm = 11.7 x 8.3 inches, still not big.  1" cameras such as Sony RX100 can produce beautiful A4 size prints and would not be much difference from 18mp APS-C at this size.

Print actually suppresses lots of noise and minor banding as well smear details.

abi170845 wrote:

I was at the print lab at lunch today, and printed 36 photos from 7D, 20 landscapes and 16 natural light portraits, I don't see any problem with noise, banding, etc. Printed on Fuji Pearl Super Glossy whatchamacall it paper just for the hell of it. I usually print 60mm x 90mm on Kodak Metallic Glossy paper so that I do not have to crop, I can print much larger up to 120mm with no problem. Once you print this big for landscape photos, there is no going back.

I shot the portrait photos at ISO 500 indoor natural light inside an abandoned building with tall windows and I don't see any noise at all on the printed photos. Some were even shot at ISO 800.  So the reason why I'm getting the 6D is not for the ISO or DR, it is because I want to use my 14mmL mk2 and the original Canon 15mm Fisheye in which I can only use FF to utilize the full potential of these two lenses, and the 135mm f2 for bokeh of course.

Quick note, every time I print, I have to sit with the guy to adjust the density setting for each photos to get exactly how I like them. Some of the sunset photos was too red and I had to dial down on the machine.  Some were +2 +1 ( the plus darkens the photos) and -1 and 0( the minus lightens the photos) the landscape photos were tricky, too light I lose the saturation and contrast especially if there is mackerel clouds, too dark then the foreground gets too dark eventhough i metered all the photos perfectly wiith GND and ReverseND.

So forget about all these noise baloney when shooting landscape at iso 100, 200 even 300 printen up to 120mm no problem with noise. And natural light indoor portrait up to 600 printed to A4 no problem, ziltch visible noise.

-- hide signature --
abi170845
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, May 14, 2013

sorry, I meant centimeter. A4 so that I don't have to crop, and I don't have all day to print my regular 60cm x 90 cm Kodak Metallic Glossy paper.

The point is how often do people print anyways? Do people have "print" on their mind when they take photos or the photos are for online only? I see 10 photographers and if I ask  to see their prints, I bet not even 5 can show me prints.

Right, is that a good thing or bad when printed and it got rid of noise and smear? Good thing isn't it so? So what's the point of discussing  noise etc etc when in reality, printed big, it doesn't make any difference. If I show you 20 of my 60cm x 90 cm prints, can you tell which was shot with what camera? I will bow down to you if you can tell which is which with 100% correct answer.

qianp2k
Like?
In reply to abi170845, May 15, 2013

abi170845 wrote:

sorry, I meant centimeter. A4 so that I don't have to crop, and I don't have all day to print my regular 60cm x 90 cm Kodak Metallic Glossy paper.

A4 size is not that big as I said even RX100 can print beautifully.  60 x 90 cm is different story that you should see difference clearly once you get 6D.

The point is how often do people print anyways? Do people have "print" on their mind when they take photos or the photos are for online only? I see 10 photographers and if I ask  to see their prints, I bet not even 5 can show me prints.

I don't print 99% of my photos.  I enjoy photos on 24" 1080p monitor.  Hope 30" 4K monitor (8K monitor in future) becomes affordable in two years.   Then I will see value of 46mp FF camera

Right, is that a good thing or bad when printed and it got rid of noise and smear? Good thing isn't it so? So what's the point of discussing  noise etc etc when in reality, printed big, it doesn't make any difference. If I show you 20 of my 60cm x 90 cm prints, can you tell which was shot with what camera? I will bow down to you if you can tell which is which with 100% correct answer.

Many said print as apply a large amount of NR.  Good for something such as portrait photos, not so good for landscape.  I could imagine ultra-HD, ultra -thin/light and ultra-energy-saving OLED displays will gradually replace paper prints in 5-10 years.  They will be very easy to hang on walls and can change contents easily of course.

-- hide signature --
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,014Gear list
Like?
In reply to abi170845, May 15, 2013

abi170845 wrote:

Just took a look at your gallery.  Some beautiful photographs in there.  I can just imagine how great those would be on metallic paper in large sizes.  I dont worry about noise either.  In fact, in large printing on my Epsons, I normally add a bit of noise that acts as dither for the printing process.  I dont get any noise in print even at 400 iso for landscape....so I never need to use NR for that.  My 20x30 inch prints have smooth skies and great rez.  Portrait sessions I run work just fine as well...as you found.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads