Bolt VX-760C Wireless TTL Flash

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions
BrettSD
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
Bolt VX-760C Wireless TTL Flash
May 4, 2013

Has anyone out there used the Bolt flashes, particularly the VX-760?  It appears to be new B&H store brand, and I've always had good luck with their store brands (like Impact), but there are no reviews on their site yet.  The price is right and the specs looks very good (E-TTL, guide number close to the 600ex and can be used wirelessly as master/slave), but I'd love to know how it works in the field.

-- hide signature --

www.headshotsnyc.com
www.gothamfamilyphotos.com
www.nyweddingphotos.com

BrettSD's gear list:BrettSD's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,310Gear list
Like?
Re: Bolt VX-760C Wireless TTL Flash
In reply to BrettSD, May 5, 2013

Talk about Smoking Strobes!

The Canon 580EX II which has a guide number of 45 at ISO 100 & 50mm..  This flash claims "Guide Number: 164' at ISO 100 & 50mm".

B&H - Bolt VX-760C Wireless TTL Flash for Canon

Speedlights.net | Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash Review

Like they say, if it sounds to good to be true then it probably isn't.  This is most likely the greatest exaggerated guide number I have ever seen in print.

It isn't stated that this is a Master Flash so it is probably a Slave Flash, much like the Canon 430EX II.  Personally I would buy a 430EX II, a Nissin Di622 II, or a Yongnuo YN-565EX.

Speedlights.net | Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash Review

Speedlights.net | Nissin Flash Review: Di622-II (flash for Canon / Nikon)

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo YN-565 EX Flash Review (Equiv 430EX II & ETTL-II on/off-camera)

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,804Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, May 5, 2013

Sailor Blue wrote:

The Canon 580EX II which has a guide number of 45 at ISO 100 & 50mm..  This flash claims "Guide Number: 164' at ISO 100 & 50mm".

Like they say, if it sounds to good to be true then it probably isn't.  This is most likely the greatest exaggerated guide number I have ever seen in print.

I think the apostrophe after the 164 means feet rather than the industry standard meters. This would give the Bolt a more believable GN of about 50.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,310Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kuppenbender, May 6, 2013

Kuppenbender wrote:

Sailor Blue wrote:

I think the apostrophe after the 164 means feet rather than the industry standard meters. This would give the Bolt a more believable GN of about 50.

Good point.  It is still pretty high and probably an exaggeration but more believable.

My advice still goes, if you want an E-TTL flash get one that is know to be a good one like the three I recommended.  They are listed in order of ruggedness and probably in order of longevity.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
BrettSD
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, May 6, 2013
It isn't stated that this is a Master Flash so it is probably a Slave Flash, much like the Canon 430EX II.  Personally I would buy a 430EX II, a Nissin Di622 II, or a Yongnuo YN-565EX.

Speedlights.net | Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash Review

Speedlights.net | Nissin Flash Review: Di622-II (flash for Canon / Nikon)

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo YN-565 EX Flash Review (Equiv 430EX II & ETTL-II on/off-camera)

-- hide signature --

It is listed as a master flash, which makes it significantly different than the others you mentioned.  But it is missing high speed sync as best as I can tell, which might make it a deal breaker.

Upon further research, the Bolt flash appears to be identical to the Oloong SP-690II http://www.lightingrumours.com/oloong-sp-690-ii-is-affordable-wireless-ttl-master-1968 and and Calumet Genesis SP 692, all of which are Master/Slaves with guide number of 50 and lacking HSS.

-- hide signature --

www.headshotsnyc.com
www.gothamfamilyphotos.com
www.nyweddingphotos.com

BrettSD's gear list:BrettSD's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads