Kauii location recommendations

Started 11 months ago | Questions
hewhosculpts
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
Kauii location recommendations
11 months ago

I'm going to Kauii the last week of May and I'd like some location recommendations. I'll be travelling with a Nikon D800, 17-35 F2.8, 24-120 F4, 70-200 F4, a TC 1.4 and a travel tripod. I know about Waimea Canyon and the various botanical gardens. Can people recommend any particular beaches or other locations that are a must shoot. Note, I won't be driving a 4-wheel drive vehicle.

Thanks,

Gary

hewhosculpts's gear list:hewhosculpts's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bob Greenberg
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
Re: Kauii location recommendations
In reply to hewhosculpts, 11 months ago

Hanalei bay is a must location, also in that small town there are interesting buildings, nearby there is a sort of hidden valley the locals live in where they grow taro as well, that might require four wheel though.

have a great trip, it is a beautiful island!

-- hide signature --

Bird Nerd

Bob Greenberg's gear list:Bob Greenberg's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pete52
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?

Having had to live there for a short time I would recommend that you pick up a copy of The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook before you go.

Depending on where you are staying, make sure you allow time for driving. Distances aren't far, but traffic sometimes doesn't move to fast.

On the south shore near Po'ipu I liked to hike east of Ship wreaked beach along the Makewehi Litrified cliffs. Up north the Kilauea Lighthouse is a good place to go. If you just want to beach stroll and play in the surf, west of Waimea at  Kekaha is Kekaha Beach. White sands and you could walk for miles. There is plenty to see and do. Plenty to photograph. Keep your gear with you at all times or locked in your car trunk. But most of all, take your time, relax and have fun.

Pete

hewhosculpts
Like?
In reply to pete52, 11 months ago

pete52 wrote:

Having had to live there for a short time I would recommend that you pick up a copy of The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook before you go.

Depending on where you are staying, make sure you allow time for driving. Distances aren't far, but traffic sometimes doesn't move to fast.

On the south shore near Po'ipu I liked to hike east of Ship wreaked beach along the Makewehi Litrified cliffs. Up north the Kilauea Lighthouse is a good place to go. If you just want to beach stroll and play in the surf, west of Waimea at  Kekaha is Kekaha Beach. White sands and you could walk for miles. There is plenty to see and do. Plenty to photograph. Keep your gear with you at all times or locked in your car trunk. But most of all, take your time, relax and have fun.

Pete

I'm going to have a lot of gear to stroll on beaches, if you know what I mean...  Even though this summer I'll not be expecting bears on my vacation so I'll be leaving the Sigma 150-500 at home....

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
hewhosculpts
Like?
In reply to Bob Greenberg, 11 months ago

Bob Greenberg wrote:

Hanalei bay is a must location, also in that small town there are interesting buildings, nearby there is a sort of hidden valley the locals live in where they grow taro as well, that might require four wheel though.

have a great trip, it is a beautiful island!

-- hide signature --

Bird Nerd

Sounds like my wife might even like this suggestion...

fishingman
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

As already mentioned...if you are an adventurous traveler pick up a copy of the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, you won't be disappointed.  It will give you great directions with accompanying maps to all the must see sights, as well as great diversions off the beaten path.  I've travelled to Kauai twice recently, and the island has a wonderful vibe with warm friendly people.  I would highly suggest setting out an itinerary if you like to squeeze the most out of your time there.  Travel times are deceiving, and I had good luck staying in Kapa'a, which locates you centrally between the North and South shores.  Here's a quick list of highlights that I found the most stunning.

Waimea Canyon (the obvious attraction on the island, but make sure you take Hwy 550 out of Waimea which will hug along the canyon for a few miles before meeting up with the main Kokee rd.)

Kalalau Valley overlook (after touring Waimea canyon continue into Kokee Park and keep going until the road dead ends at the overlook).

Polihale State park (I rank this as the most beautiful beach area on the island, isolated and a wonderful spot for a late in the day picnic with sunset.  Large sugar sand dunes with the Napali cliffs dropping into the ocean.  Access road is gravel and a bit bumpy...but travelable by regular car.  Drive is well worth the solitude and views.)

Wailua Falls (just drive right up to the falls and enjoy, can get busy!)

Haena State Park (as far as you can go by car on the North Shore....beautiful beach with towering mountains looming right behind you, another great sunset spot, although typically crowded.  This is where the famous Kalalau Trail starts, despite the rather bumpy start, highly suggest hiking at least a portion of it....unforgettable).

If you prefer to tour by car, Kauai offers some great opportunities for drive up sightseeing.  If you however are willing to put in some legwork, the island really opens up amazing sights with a bit of hiking.  Chalk it up as a once in a lifetime experience, but if you have a bluebird day and the central mountains are relatively cloud free, seriously consider a helicopter tour.  A birds-eye view of all the inaccessible waterfalls and interior mountains is something you will never forget!

RussellP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,504
Like?

Hi Gary

I did a tour with these guys. It was a good day and they take you to plenty of spots. AT worst its a great tour of the island and will show you many interesting spots.

http://www.hawaiianphotos.net/Kauaitours.htm

cheers

Russell

-- hide signature --
pete52
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?

Fishingman gave some good recommendations for popular places to go. Living there Polihale State Park beach was my absolute favorite. A long, wide white sand beach that dead ends at the beginning of the Napali cliffs.

One word of caution though, the cane road into the park is about 4 1/2 miles and can be very rough. I haven't lived there for a couple of years, but when I did, if the West side of the island got a lot rain, some parts of the road would be very muddy and almost impassible without a 4 wheel drive. With most rental car companies on Kauai, the rental contract says you are required to stay on paved roads, unless you rent a 4 wheel drive.That being said, I always saw rental cars at Polihale.

I hope that you have a great time and get some fantastic photos. Enjoy The Garden Island.

Pete

hewhosculpts
Like?
In reply to RussellP, 11 months ago

RussellP wrote:

Hi Gary

I did a tour with these guys. It was a good day and they take you to plenty of spots. AT worst its a great tour of the island and will show you many interesting spots.

http://www.hawaiianphotos.net/Kauaitours.htm

cheers

Russell

-- hide signature --

Russell --

According to somebody else that replied (Bob Greenberg) there is "at least" one interesting town to photograph. Does the tour include these kind of places too?

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Gary

RussellP
Like?

Not really. There was a lunch stop at Hanalei (and to the wharf) but mostly it was scenic locations.

http://russellp.smugmug.com/Pacific-Islands/Hawaii/19705304_HCddhN#!i=1549535609&k=K8zSMcT

-- hide signature --
RussellP
Like?

Here is most of the spots we went on the tour but it changes depending on weather and who is on the trip etc.

Kealia, Anahola Beach Beach, Kapuhi Point, Ki'lauea Lighthouse, Hanapai Beach, Hanalei, Kahalahala Beach plus a few view spots (hanalei Valley etc).

Our trip had everyone from serious photographers to point & shoot tourists. You got as much (or little) professional advice as you wanted.

My wife and I enjoyed it, it was a great day and a good way to see about half the island in pretty relaxing style.

cheers

-- hide signature --
opusone
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
Kauii the ultimate....

A boat ride or the ultimate would be a helicopter tour of the the amazing Napali coast on Kauai's north shore.

Gallery: http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=my-myy-s&va=na+pali+coast+kauai

So remote and beautiful that many major Hollywood films are filmed here.

opusone's gear list:opusone's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads