What is the most recent MBP that supports OS X.6.8?

Started May 4, 2013 | Questions
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,880Gear list
Like?
What is the most recent MBP that supports OS X.6.8?
May 4, 2013

And can X.6.8 support the Retina display?

I currently have a mid-2010 MBP with the high rez alternative screen and that works fine.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
ANSWER:
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,434
Like?
Re: What is the most recent MBP that supports OS X.6.8?
In reply to Hen3ry, May 4, 2013

All of the Retina MBPs first shipped with Lion or Mountain Lion, so Snow Leopard doesn't support them.

Apple - Mac OS X versions (builds) for computers

It might be possible to buy a copy of Parallels or VMware Fusion, and one of Snow Leopard Server.  Then you could run Snow Leopard Server inside a virtual machine, under (Mountain) Lion.  (It's supposedly a no-no to run the regular Snow Leopard inside of a virtual machine.)

I'm pretty sure that there won't be any Retina Display support in Snow Leopard.  That seems like the sort of thing that would have been an "under the hood" enhancement for Lion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,434
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, May 4, 2013

From Apple's chart, it looks like the last MBPs that can run some version of Snow Leopard are the "Early 2011" ones; you could cross-check with MacTracker to be sure.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,880Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, May 4, 2013

Tom_N wrote:

From Apple's chart, it looks like the last MBPs that can run some version of Snow Leopard are the "Early 2011" ones; you could cross-check with MacTracker to be sure.

Many thanks, Tom. Just a point -- when referring to MacTracker it needs to be specified as "MacTracker.ca". There is a mactracker.com but it leads to a non-existent site.

MacTracker.ca tells what OS a Mac was issued with and the latest it can run but makes no mention of earlier OSs it can use.

I notice, though, that while early 2011 models were the last sold with Snow Leopard and the late 2011 models were sold with Lion installed the firmware updates for these models are given as the same: MacBook Pro EFI Update 2.7.

I wonder whether this means the late 2011 models can run OS X.6.8 too.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads