Problems with Nikon scanner and Mac

Started May 3, 2013 | Questions
Bjoernar Pedersen
Regular MemberPosts: 398
Like?
Problems with Nikon scanner and Mac
May 3, 2013

I have a Nikon Coolscan V ED (also named Coolscan 50 ED in some countries) which used to work fine with my iMac. (24" w. mountain lion and Vuescan software)

After connecting it to a new Imac (27" with same software) I can´t communicate with it anymore. It is not seen i Vuescan, and not seen in as a USB device either. Same problem when I connect to the old Imac as well, and even to an Mac mini with OS x 10.6.

I have tried with 2 different USB-cables as well, and one of them is tested to work fine when connected to a USB printer.

To me it sound like a hardware problem with the scanner, but maybe there are other options?

Is there a way to check the scanner for hardware failure without sending it for repair?

-- hide signature --

Bjoernar

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Daniel Bliss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,690Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with Nikon scanner and Mac
In reply to Bjoernar Pedersen, May 4, 2013

I have the same scanner at work though I haven't used it in a while.  I check Monday to see if it works, and get back here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daniel Bliss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,690Gear list
Like?
just occurred to me . . .
In reply to Bjoernar Pedersen, May 4, 2013

perhaps something with USB 3 -- maybe the power the cable carries, or just maybe something in firmware -- disagrees with the scanner.  Have you tried running it through a USB 2 hub?

rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,054Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bjoernar Pedersen, May 5, 2013

1)  Are you running the newest version of VueScan?  Had a similar problem on an older MacPro under 10.7.3 - the newest version works fine.

2)  Check ports, don't run from a hub (just typical USB troubleshooting), change cables.

-- hide signature --

RG
www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
TheDanS
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bjoernar Pedersen, May 6, 2013

Remember with Vuescan the scanner has to be hooked up and powered on before opening the software. If not, Vuescan wont see it and install a compatible driver. The fact it now wont work on your old imac or a mini leads me to believe bad usb cable, or it needs sent in for repair.

TheDanS's gear list:TheDanS's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix AW120 Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-P3 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads