Can't delete Aperture trash, any ideas?

Started May 3, 2013 | Questions
increments
Regular MemberPosts: 278
Like?
Can't delete Aperture trash, any ideas?
May 3, 2013

Hi,
I recently began the process of upgrading my 2009 Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion.
Step 1 was install Snow Leopard and update apps to the latest versions supported. i thought that had all gone reassuringly well...
OS and Aperture both working as well as with Leopard or a bit better.
Today though, I finished working on my latest project and tried to delete the photos in the Aperture trash. Unfortunately, when I select "empty Aperture Trash" nothing happens. The usual dialogue box doesn't even appear.
I've tried repairing and rebuilding Aperture libraries/permissions, as well as doing the same for my hard disk.
No joy.
I've looked on the apple support pages and have seen this happen to a few others, who have ended up doing clean installs.

If anyone has any ideas that would avoid having to do a clean OS install, I'd be very grateful.
Derek

ANSWER:
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814Gear list
Like?
Drive permissions, new library
In reply to increments, May 3, 2013

increments wrote:

Hi,
I recently began the process of upgrading my 2009 Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion.
Step 1 was install Snow Leopard and update apps to the latest versions supported. i thought that had all gone reassuringly well...
OS and Aperture both working as well as with Leopard or a bit better.
Today though, I finished working on my latest project and tried to delete the photos in the Aperture trash. Unfortunately, when I select "empty Aperture Trash" nothing happens. The usual dialogue box doesn't even appear.
I've tried repairing and rebuilding Aperture libraries/permissions, as well as doing the same for my hard disk.
No joy.
I've looked on the apple support pages and have seen this happen to a few others, who have ended up doing clean installs.

If anyone has any ideas that would avoid having to do a clean OS install, I'd be very grateful.
Derek

Using Aperture since v1.0, I've never seen this, but here's a thought. If the photos are referenced and kept on an external hard drive, you might select the drive, hit command-I (Get Info), and make sure the "Ignore ownership on this volume" box is checked.

If that doesn't work, try making a new, empty library, then importing the problem library into it. This has helped me once or twice with corrupted libraries.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,078Gear list
Like?
Re: Drive permissions, new library
In reply to Jacques Cornell, May 4, 2013

Its easy to use something like Clean My Mac to get rid of old aperture and iphoto trash.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
increments
Like?
In reply to Jacques Cornell, May 5, 2013

Thanks for your suggestions Majikthize.
Unfortunately no joy so far. I think I'll see what happens when I get Mountain Lion in a couple of weeks.
In case this sheds any light on light on the matter, this is the most comprehensive support discussion on the Apple Support pages

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3715309?start=0&tstart=0

Thanks again for trying.

Derek

increments
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, May 5, 2013

Thanks Sonyshine,

If upgrading to Mountain Lion (in a couple of weeks) doesn't fix it, then I'll give it a go.

Derek

increments
Like?
In reply to increments, May 16, 2013

Thanks all for your input.
For the sake of tidiness, the problem resolved itself when I updated from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion.

I take this to mean that the problem was within the system files rather than a problem with Aperture itself.
Derek

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads