Portable hard drive for use on both Mac and PC?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Kyogle
Regular MemberPosts: 482Gear list
Like?
Portable hard drive for use on both Mac and PC?
11 months ago

My friend and I will be traveling Scotland taking lots of photos. She has an Apple laptop and I have only a PC at home. When I fill SD cards at the end of each day  the idea is for my friend to download the files from my SD cards  via her laptop onto a portable hard drive. That much is simple enough.

However to retrieve the files I will need to plug the portable drive into my PC when I get home. Is it possible to use the same portable hard drive on both systems without having to reformat and losing the images stored there?

My friend suggests I buy a Seagate as she thinks it will work on both Mac and PC but is not at all  certain about this.  Any help will be much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

David, an Australian living in the Highlands of Scotland a few months each year.

Kyogle's gear list:Kyogle's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +7 more
Klipsen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,057Gear list
Like?
Here's a thread that answers your question:
In reply to Kyogle, 11 months ago

It can be done, but requires software:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-21564_102-547699/can-i-recover-data-from-a-mac-hard-drive-to-a-pc/

You could also download a Linux, e.g. Ubuntu, that can be run directly from a USB key or from a DVD without installing it on your PC - and without destroying files on your PC. Ubuntu will probably be able to read Mac drives, just like it can read both FAT and NTFS drives.

-- hide signature --

Ceterum censeo soleam calidam ISO esse delendam.

Klipsen's gear list:Klipsen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
newtoy
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?
Re: Portable hard drive for use on both Mac and PC?

Just format the drive on the Mac using MSDOS (Fat) format. (Using the buildin "Disk Utility"). Then you can read and write to the drive with PC and Mac. Its that easy!

newtoy's gear list:newtoy's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 +24 more
newtoy
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?
In reply to newtoy, 11 months ago

newtoy wrote:

Just format the drive on the Mac using MSDOS (Fat) format. (Using the buildin "Disk Utility"). Then you can read and write to the drive with PC and Mac. Its that easy!

Forgot to mention, maximum 32GB only!!!

newtoy's gear list:newtoy's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 +24 more
Kyogle
Like?
In reply to newtoy, 11 months ago

newtoy wrote:

newtoy wrote:

For a moment there I was feeling quite elated However only 32GB is as you know not enough. I was hoping to use a 500GB portable hard drive and add 8-16GB each day to it.

Thank you for your reply.

-- hide signature --

David, an Australian living in the Highlands of Scotland a few months each year.

Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +7 more
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 5,789Gear list
Like?

I only use Win 7 so I don't know if this will work or not but I turned it up with a quick Google search.  Apparently Macs can read a Windows NTSF formated hard drive but not write to them.  To do that you need to add an application.

Enable writing to NTFS hard drives on Mac OS X

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Grump
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?

Kyogle wrote:

newtoy wrote:

newtoy wrote:

For a moment there I was feeling quite elated However only 32GB is as you know not enough. I was hoping to use a 500GB portable hard drive and add 8-16GB each day to it.

Format the drive with exFAT instead and you won't have the 32GB limit.  I share a drive between Mac and Windows and use exFAT with no problems.  Both OS's can read/write it, assuming Mac Snow Leopard or later and Windows 7 or later.  I don't remember if Windows XP supported it.

-- hide signature --

Dave

leecamera
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, 11 months ago

Paragon do one of the best NTFS formatting methods for Macs.

I now format all my drives this way (use the erase and format option in the Mac Disc Utility) and select the NTFS option after you've installed Paragon.

Drives work speedily and without issues.

Kyogle
Like?
Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive
In reply to leecamera, 11 months ago

Thanks to all who responded. After further research I discovered that Seagate Backup Plus  can, and I quote,  "Use the drive interchangeably on your PC or Mac computer without reformatting."

See http://www.seagate.com/au/en/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/standard/backup-plus/

I will  buy one of these in Melbourne for $89

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads