Leica on AMC's Mad Men

Started May 3, 2013 | Discussions
jaygeephoto
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Leica on AMC's Mad Men
May 3, 2013

If you’re a photo nerd like I am for details, you'll notice some errors when it comes to photo equipment accuracy.

Don Draper tells the doctor that this is the 'best of the lot' and hands him an M-2 camera box. If this was taking place in December of 1967 that would have meant the (then new) M-4 or at least an M-3 - the M-2 was a less expensive model.

Also, when Draper's wife takes a photo with here snappy Kodak Instamatic Hawkeye R4 on the beach in Hawaii her slide show on New Year's Eve has photos in a rectangular format. 126 format was square. At least the Carousel projector was the correct vintage.

The professional photographer taking hand held shots with his Rollei must have some steady hand to be doing available light shots in Draper's office.

Replay the episode if you can.

camcollect
Regular MemberPosts: 343
Like?
Re: Leica on AMC's Mad Men
In reply to jaygeephoto, May 3, 2013

It's a drama, not the History Channel. TV shows use artistic license, I thought they were all representative of the era. It "felt" very authentic, which is all that matters in a TV series

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jaygeephoto
Like?
In reply to camcollect, May 3, 2013

Point taken.  Do you watch Downton Abbey too?

camcollect
Regular MemberPosts: 343
Like?

Yes, I enjoy that show as well.

jammerbirdi_1
Contributing MemberPosts: 863
Like?

I was going to mention this as I saw no one else had. Probably never would have though. So good one. Yes, and doesn't stuff like this always go over real well with your significant others? It's like the one moment she's happy you've spent all this money on Leica gear.

I think it's cool that their ad agency has the Leica account, or, I guess, that the writers of the show are smitten enough with Leica themselves to have created that fiction.

-- hide signature --

http://50lux.com
@50luxdotcom on Twitter

Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,203
Like?
In reply to jaygeephoto, May 4, 2013

Who cares? Get a life.

jaygeephoto wrote:

If you’re a photo nerd like I am for details, you'll notice some errors when it comes to photo equipment accuracy.

Don Draper tells the doctor that this is the 'best of the lot' and hands him an M-2 camera box. If this was taking place in December of 1967 that would have meant the (then new) M-4 or at least an M-3 - the M-2 was a less expensive model.

Also, when Draper's wife takes a photo with here snappy Kodak Instamatic Hawkeye R4 on the beach in Hawaii her slide show on New Year's Eve has photos in a rectangular format. 126 format was square. At least the Carousel projector was the correct vintage.

The professional photographer taking hand held shots with his Rollei must have some steady hand to be doing available light shots in Draper's office.

Replay the episode if you can.

MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, May 4, 2013

Go away Skippy, ya bother me.

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,378Gear list
Like?
In reply to jaygeephoto, May 4, 2013

I saw that episode and wondered if the Leica was the latest and gretest of the period as this show is pretty good with accurately depicting the mood and style of the period, one of the reasons I like the show. I think they nailed it last season with the jaguar not being able to start up/turn over when Lane tried to kill himself - that was dark comedy for sure. Also I believe tax rates were like 70-90% so his tax problems would have been very real.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
jaygeephoto
Like?
In reply to camcollect, May 5, 2013

Go back to the episode of the wedding (the one that didn't happen) and watch the photographer taking the photo of the bridesmaids. He "takes" the photo with his head under the hood holding the flash (powder) gun aloft. Focusing hoods and wooden field cameras are quaint, but they weren't used any differently then they are now; I've always found those pesky film holders would always get in the way of seeing anything on the ground glass. If you're going to depict history, do it correctly or don't bother.

allamande
Senior MemberPosts: 2,889
Like?
In reply to camcollect, May 5, 2013

camcollect wrote:

It's a drama, not the History Channel. TV shows use artistic license, I thought they were all representative of the era. It "felt" very authentic, which is all that matters in a TV series

Although this is a fair point, given that Matthew Weiner (the creater of the show) prides himself in obsessing over EVERY detail to achieve historical accuracy and harps on this point practically in every interview he gives, it is totally fair to criticize the show for missing the boat on several major period details so far this season (e.g. Look at the dishrack in the scene at Henry's home: straight from Target to their set.)

Ece

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads