what image viewer you use on Mac?

Started May 3, 2013 | Discussions
jounpla01
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
what image viewer you use on Mac?
May 3, 2013

well, I'm wondering it is just me or you guys found that viewing images with Preview on mac is not that convenient?

I have a bunch of pictures in a folder and when I double-click the picture, it opens in Preview. But if I hit the right arrow, it won't go to the next picture in the folder. Is there any way to set this up like in Windows?

I thought of using iPhoto but I only use galleries in iPhoto for my personal pictures. Then I fine there's a new released mac image viewer  by ArcSoft, you guys have any ideas on this app? Is it worthy $0.99?

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,767
Like?
Re: what image viewer you use on Mac?
In reply to jounpla01, May 3, 2013

jounpla01 wrote:

well, I'm wondering it is just me or you guys found that viewing images with Preview on mac is not that convenient?

I have a bunch of pictures in a folder and when I double-click the picture, it opens in Preview. But if I hit the right arrow, it won't go to the next picture in the folder. Is there any way to set this up like in Windows?

I thought of using iPhoto but I only use galleries in iPhoto for my personal pictures. Then I fine there's a new released mac image viewer  by ArcSoft, you guys have any ideas on this app? Is it worthy $0.99?

Just navigate to the Folder where you have your images, select all or some of them and hit the Space key.

I blogged about this here: http://mfransso.blogspot.com/2011/04/there-is-no-image-browser-in-mac-os-x.html

Other products that works well is Picasa and Lyn.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,936
Like?

if all you want to do is view the images, then might I suggest using the Mac's 'QuickView' mode.

Open a finder window into the folder of interest.  Use list view, single click on the top item and hit the Spacebar.  Now the image should be viewed and using the up/down arrow keys will move you through the list.  You could also use Coverflow mode too.

Art Jacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,642
Like?

I use Preview in the following way, go to the required folder, select all, right click select open with preview, I get a thumbnail view down the left hand side ( maybe different on yours ) with the first image in a fairly full screen size, I then click the expand arrows in the top right corner, I then get a full screen size image which can be moved through the folder by pressing the right cursor arrow, pres esc to get back to the previous thumbnails/preview pane.

graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,958
Like?
In reply to jounpla01, May 4, 2013

The closest you'll get to Windows is something similar to what was suggested above, but not quite. Instead of selecting just one image and pressing the spacebar, you should select all (or multiple) and press the spacebar. Then click the full screen arrows in the top right corner.

What this does is open the selected images in a full screen slideshow, and you can press the left/right arrows to go from photo to photo like you can in Windows. You might prefer using QuickLook this way. (Someone called it QuickView earlier, but it's QuickLook.)

If you only select one image, OS X restricts you to the up/down arrows only, unless the window is in Icon view. That's why it's better to select multiple and go full screen.

I don't use Preview much, because its clunkiness is comparable to the Finder, if not worse. If you have Photoshop, you can throw a folder onto the Bridge icon for a quick view. Media Pro is OK for that too. iPhoto, of course, is a disaster as a casual image browser.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,053
Like?
In reply to graybalanced, May 4, 2013

graybalanced wrote:

The closest you'll get to Windows is something similar to what was suggested above, but not quite. Instead of selecting just one image and pressing the spacebar, you should select all (or multiple) and press the spacebar. Then click the full screen arrows in the top right corner.

And if you hit alt-spacebar, you go right to fullscreen without having to click on anything. And I usually start with a simple cmd-A and then a alt-spacebar.

Derek C
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
In reply to jounpla01, May 13, 2013

http://www.lynapp.com/

lightweight, fast image browser, permits editing of captions etc too and just £16 GBP

-- hide signature --
 Derek C's gear list:Derek C's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +2 more
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,958
Like?
In reply to noirdesir, May 14, 2013

noirdesir wrote:

graybalanced wrote:

And if you hit alt-spacebar, you go right to fullscreen without having to click on anything. And I usually start with a simple cmd-A and then a alt-spacebar.

Thanks, that's a great tip. It still doesn't let you browse adjacent images in the folder with the arrow keys if you only selected one image, but it's still going to come in handy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads