What's the latest on a Sony NEX-7 upgrade/replacement

Started May 3, 2013 | Discussions
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,129
Like?
What's the latest on a Sony NEX-7 upgrade/replacement
May 3, 2013

What are the latest rumors/info on a Sony NEX-7 upgrade/replacement?

I've been thinking that I would get a Sony NEX-7 for a long trip this summer in the interest of something smaller than my Nikon D300, but still with a great sensor.  Several months ago, I saw some rumors about a possible replacement to the NEX-7 coming and, in the interest of being efficient with my purchases, I'd like to not buy something right before the next generation is released.  But, if nothing is coming for awhile, I'd like to get the camera and get to know it before summer.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
richiemccaw
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the latest on a Sony NEX-7 upgrade/replacement
In reply to jfriend00, May 3, 2013

Given how the Nex 7 is priced nowadays, I'm sure it would be quite a bargain compared to the upcoming Nex-7n.

I would actually like to suggest something a little different, which is to get a Nex 5r or 6, something more recent if you are keen on getting a 'newer' camera. If you would like, you can always still get the 7n whenever it is released, probably in a few months' time and sell off these 'newer' models.

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876
Like?

There is no official announcement on the Nex 7n so even when that comews tomorrow it will take some time before the new camera is in the shop. My personal idea is to buy the camera now, learn to use it, get to know the camera as long as possible.

HeavyDuty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120Gear list
Like?

I'm hoping we'll see sales on the NEX-7 when its replacement is eventually announced - I'd like a second body.  Really, there aren't any warts on the NEX-7 IMO.

-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?

I held off on the NEX 7 because of the magenta cast on wide angle lenses, I did not like that at all. Since I shoot mostly JPEG and lenses greater than 16mm most of the time, that was a deal killer.

I have NEX 5n's and a NEX 6, with a new 3N on it's way ...... ya I really like the Sony 16mp sensor, same one that is used in my Pentax k5 too

If the NEX 7N has fixed the wide angle thing, than maybe my NEX family will grow ;- )

wll

jfriend00
Like?
In reply to richiemccaw, May 3, 2013

richiemccaw wrote:

Given how the Nex 7 is priced nowadays, I'm sure it would be quite a bargain compared to the upcoming Nex-7n.

I would actually like to suggest something a little different, which is to get a Nex 5r or 6, something more recent if you are keen on getting a 'newer' camera. If you would like, you can always still get the 7n whenever it is released, probably in a few months' time and sell off these 'newer' models.

Besides the 24MP sensor, what is different between the NEX-6 and NEX-7?

-- hide signature --
jk2l
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

jfriend00 wrote:

richiemccaw wrote:

-- hide signature --

7 Got the following:

• tri nav control
  • no wifi (not really useful anyway, most of the apps are crap atm)
  • better EVF for NEX-7n (I think it is same for Nex-6 and 7 tho)
  • I think it does not have mode button (not too sure, maybe they got short cut with tri nav but need someone confirm it)
  • got a switch for AF and MF
  • 24MP vs 16MP

if i miss anything feel free to add it

jfriend00
Like?
In reply to jk2l, May 3, 2013

jk2l wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

richiemccaw wrote:

-- hide signature --

7 Got the following:

• tri nav control
  • no wifi (not really useful anyway, most of the apps are crap atm)
  • better EVF for NEX-7n (I think it is same for Nex-6 and 7 tho)
  • I think it does not have mode button (not too sure, maybe they got short cut with tri nav but need someone confirm it)
  • got a switch for AF and MF
  • 24MP vs 16MP

if i miss anything feel free to add it

I just read that the NEX-7 supposedly has a longer battery life (430 vs. 340).  As this is important to me (backpacking for multiple weeks and dictates how many extra batteries I have to carry), does anyone know why this is the case?  I would have thought they were largely the same electronics inside.

-- hide signature --
mgerpe
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?

dont worry about battery life, just grab a bunch of cheap batteries, i use these all the time with no issues.

I looked at both the 6 and the 7 and got the 6, at the time it was cheaper and i like the kit lens with it. Plus i figured if i really fell in love with the nex system id have 4-6 months to wait for the N7n to come out, read initial reviews and figure out what to do. most people on this forum dont need 24mp, 16 is more than enough for 90% of us.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-SLT-A55V/dp/B0049WBZEK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367623103&sr=1-1&keywords=nex+6+battery

-- hide signature --

"Sit loosely in the saddle of life"
http://www.michaelgerpe.com

jfriend00
Like?
In reply to mgerpe, May 4, 2013

mgerpe wrote:

dont worry about battery life, just grab a bunch of cheap batteries, i use these all the time with no issues.

I looked at both the 6 and the 7 and got the 6, at the time it was cheaper and i like the kit lens with it. Plus i figured if i really fell in love with the nex system id have 4-6 months to wait for the N7n to come out, read initial reviews and figure out what to do. most people on this forum dont need 24mp, 16 is more than enough for 90% of us.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-SLT-A55V/dp/B0049WBZEK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367623103&sr=1-1&keywords=nex+6+battery

It's the weight of extra batteries for a 3-week backpack trip that is the issue.  I'm literally counting ounces of weight and spending significant money to go as lightweight as possible to make this trip doable.

So, I'm still curious why such a different battery life between the 6 and 7.  I'm also interested in the tri-nav controls on the 7 and I like that it's thinner.  The 16 vs 24MP isn't really a meaningful consideration for me.

-- hide signature --
richiemccaw
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
In reply to jfriend00, May 4, 2013

jfriend00 wrote:

mgerpe wrote:

It's the weight of extra batteries for a 3-week backpack trip that is the issue.  I'm literally counting ounces of weight and spending significant money to go as lightweight as possible to make this trip doable.

So, I'm still curious why such a different battery life between the 6 and 7.  I'm also interested in the tri-nav controls on the 7 and I like that it's thinner.  The 16 vs 24MP isn't really a meaningful consideration for me.

-- hide signature --

My take on wifi: I love it. I didnt think I would need it and I thought it would be gimmicky. But nowadays I find myself transferring pictures to my phone via wifi and then sending it to my wife/friends via Whatsapp all the time. They love that its so easy for me to share photos with them.

Aside from that, there are probably good things about having one more dial on the Nex 7 and the 24MP sensor. I'm just extremely satisfied with my Nex 6.

For the batteries, I managed to get the same charger plus 2 extra batteries off eBay. I'm very sure it's the same as the Wasabi branded one but this is non-branded and it's slightly cheaper. These non-original batteries are not as heavy as the original Sony ones. Given the price and how little space the batteries plus charger take up, it is as much of a no-brainer as getting the old model Sigma 19 + 30mm combo.

It would also be great to not have to leave your camera lying around connected to the power source while charging. Personal preference here though.

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
pede59
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?

I believe if you need a camera before summer you will not be able to wait for the NEX-7N. I have the Nex-7, i never owned a 5N, 5R, or Nex-6. I tried the 5N in a store and did not like the handling compared to the Nex-7.

Based on my own experience and what i am reading i think the Nex-7 still has probably the best APS-C sensor. Of course eventually something will come out that will be better. But I would not expect that the 7N will have a sensor that is much better. For me the area that needs improvement is AF speed. Compared to good APS-C DSLR's (I have a Canon 7D) the AF is really a lot slower. In particular AF tracking is not in the same league. But as far as I can tell from reviews the Nex-6 - despite having hybrid AF - is not much better. In all i believe you will have a competitive system for a few years.

The Nex-6 got a mode dial compared to the Nex-7 that has tri navi, with mode selection via soft button and wheel. Frankly i do not miss the mode dial at all. Not sure why people make such a big deal of that.

I have read that there are issues with wide angle lenses, particularly some that were made for RF cameras. My widest lens is the kit lens at 16mm and the Sigma 19mm - no issue at all. But if you plan to use wide angle lenses you may want to check this. I have seen people post pictures with the new SEL10-18 and those looked great on the Nex-7.

Regarding backpacking: i do not do multi day trips but long day hikes. For me it is a huge difference to carry the Nex-7 and a few e-mount lenses vs. my Canon 7D and a few lenses. Both weight and volume.

jfriend00
Like?
In reply to pede59, May 4, 2013

pede59 wrote:

I believe if you need a camera before summer you will not be able to wait for the NEX-7N. I have the Nex-7, i never owned a 5N, 5R, or Nex-6. I tried the 5N in a store and did not like the handling compared to the Nex-7.

Based on my own experience and what i am reading i think the Nex-7 still has probably the best APS-C sensor. Of course eventually something will come out that will be better. But I would not expect that the 7N will have a sensor that is much better. For me the area that needs improvement is AF speed. Compared to good APS-C DSLR's (I have a Canon 7D) the AF is really a lot slower. In particular AF tracking is not in the same league. But as far as I can tell from reviews the Nex-6 - despite having hybrid AF - is not much better. In all i believe you will have a competitive system for a few years.

The Nex-6 got a mode dial compared to the Nex-7 that has tri navi, with mode selection via soft button and wheel. Frankly i do not miss the mode dial at all. Not sure why people make such a big deal of that.

I have read that there are issues with wide angle lenses, particularly some that were made for RF cameras. My widest lens is the kit lens at 16mm and the Sigma 19mm - no issue at all. But if you plan to use wide angle lenses you may want to check this. I have seen people post pictures with the new SEL10-18 and those looked great on the Nex-7.

Regarding backpacking: i do not do multi day trips but long day hikes. For me it is a huge difference to carry the Nex-7 and a few e-mount lenses vs. my Canon 7D and a few lenses. Both weight and volume.

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I've carried by D300 and 17-55 f/2.8 (a heavy combo) on some pretty tough hikes (including Mt. Whitney).  I toughed it out for the 1-3 days trips and enjoyed having good gear, but this 3 week trip will only be enjoyable if I can keep the weight down so I'm looking for the best APS-C camera I can find that's a lot lighter than my D300 combo.  I've looked at several other options and it looks like I'll pick the NEX-6 or NEX-7 with the kit zoom and the Sigma 19mm prime.  Just trying to decide which NEX now.

-- hide signature --
Jeff Kott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,148
Like?

jfriend00 wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I've carried by D300 and 17-55 f/2.8 (a heavy combo) on some pretty tough hikes (including Mt. Whitney).  I toughed it out for the 1-3 days trips and enjoyed having good gear, but this 3 week trip will only be enjoyable if I can keep the weight down so I'm looking for the best APS-C camera I can find that's a lot lighter than my D300 combo.  I've looked at several other options and it looks like I'll pick the NEX-6 or NEX-7 with the kit zoom and the Sigma 19mm prime.  Just trying to decide which NEX now.

If you're looking for something for this summer, you take landscape shots and print big, I would recommend getting the Nex 7. It's a great camera, much better IQ than your D300 and on sale. If you don't print that big, you might consider the Nex 6. Personally, I prefer the control configuration on the Nex 7.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Kott

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads