Fixing a stiff aperture and focus ring on pentax-a 50mm 1.7 ??

Started May 3, 2013 | Discussions
Louno
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Fixing a stiff aperture and focus ring on pentax-a 50mm 1.7 ??
May 3, 2013

Hi,
I got a legacy lens for my sony nex-3n, the lens is in good condition everything is clean inside... BUT the focus and aperture rings are somewhat stiff, its still very useable, but when i'm trying to really focus precisely it can be a bit annoying.

Going from around f4 to f.17 it gets progressively harder to precisely turn the aperture ring. Same for the focus ring, it is smooth most of the time except towards the end when there is more friction...
Can I try to put a tiny bit of lube in between the rings? I have some lube called Tri-Flow , it's clear colored. I also have some WD-40 ... I was thinking maybe using like a dental floss string and dip it in lube and then pass the string in between the rings ?... i dunno... obviously im a total noob

Louno's gear list:Louno's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Sony Alpha NEX-3N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 601
Like?
Re: Fixing a stiff aperture and focus ring on pentax-a 50mm 1.7 ??
In reply to Louno, May 3, 2013

Don't even think about it. A light oil like that is going to evaporate and haze up your lenses. Then you'll have to take it apart for a proper cleaning. So why not do that now? The grease has probably dried out. It's not worth paying to get CLA'd so open it up and clean everything out then relube it. Get some decent lube and you'll be set.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads