captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,929Gear list
Like?
Re: OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 vs SONY NEX 6
In reply to plaopla, May 4, 2013

plaopla wrote:

sderdiarian wrote:

plaopla wrote:

Here is more detail: I currently have GF1 and been using it for 2 years. I consider myself a beginner and take portrait and landscape most of the time. occasionally take pic of my dogs.  hardly use video Mode. like taking pic with low light... so question i have now is which is better in taking picture in low light, sundown... I'd checked sample images with both at very high ISO and NEX seems to do better.

If you've been using a GF1 for 2 years without buying any additional lenses I'm not sure why you see a need to upgrade, especially to a $1000 price range body.  Putting that aside...

E-M5 w/14-42mm kit lens $1049 on Amazon in US

• weathersealed alloy body
  • industry leading 5-axis IBIS
  • high quality built-in EVF
  • tilt/touch 3" OLED screen
  • SCP instant access to settings
  • 2 control wheels
  • 3 programmable buttons
  • Sony 16MP sensor w/excellent dynamic range and low light capabilities
  • Olympus JPEG colors
  • access to all those mFT lenses
  • optional battery grip for handling larger 4/3's lenses

NEX6 w/16-50mm kit lens:  $899 on Amazon in the US

• tilt 3" LCD screen (not a touch screen)
  • hybrid AF
  • 1 control wheel
  • 1 programmable button
  • built-in WiFi
  • built-in flash

Both cameras perform very well in low light, having very similar Sony sensors.  The E-M5 provides a greater range of customizable features, IBIS, weathersealing, a touch OLED screen, and a large range of mFT lenses (may not matter to you) for an extra $150.  The NEX6 offers a smaller and lighter weight rangefinder style body with built-in flash and Wi-Fi.

Your choice, but you might be just as happy with a full-featured G5 for $499 or even an E-PM2 (same 16MP Sony sensor as the E-M5) for $424.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

Thanks for your advice.. The question of why i should upgrade came into my mind several times.  G5 would be too big. At the beginning i was gonna buy NEX 6 but after i did some research, that s when OMD came. amd now it s hard to not choosing OMD. so i just would like to hear from users to confirm. Thanks again

I cannot confirm your decision because I one of the posters on this forum who dislikes the OMD E-M5. Have you posted your question to the group at the Sony NEX foum?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,790Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, May 4, 2013

captura wrote:

Both the NEX-6 and the 5R have 2 control wheels.

And the Nex-6 (dunno about 5R) has more than 1 programmable button.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?

captura wrote:

GingerBread wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

I think you should think long term as you do not seem to want to change cameras too often.  Consider TCO. Long term, the OMD is likely to hold value better and if not sold it should last longer, being better built and weatherproof.

This is an interesting point.  I'm actually more concerned about the longevity of my E-M5 than my NEX 7 due to the complex IBIS of the E-M5.  Hopefully it will hold up well for many years.

-- hide signature --

Ging

These are highly debatable points.

NEX's hold their value very well indeed. Perhaps better than the OMD.

And NEX's seem never to break. You never hear of it.

If my NEX didn't break, I may never have found the OM-D. I shoot in Asia where dust turns to rain in a heartbeat and insects ingress into any available crevasse. I had 3 cameras fail in 8 months.

GH-2 - Shutter release stuck, would either refuse to fire or keep firing. Some battery compartment corrosion.

X100 - Aperture started to stick at the wrong size (later identified as SAB).

NEX-5N - Shutter release stuck. Rear control dial kept locking up. When I discussed it in the NEX forum several people complained of the same things, particularly the rear dial.

This is when I realised how much the weather-sealing on my 5D2 must have been protecting me, it was bullet-proof and never skipped a beat, and all the other clichés. So I decided I really needed a weather-sealed camera.

OM-D has taken about 9-10 months of heavy use. Two tumbles, dust storms, water festival soakings, attempted ant infestations, and a lot more. It scores 11 out of 10 for robustness for me.

Literally, last month a dust storm blew up out of nowhere. My first priority was my 3 month old daughter and getting her into our neighbours house (which was closer).

Then I went to my house and closed all the windows and doors. But by this time, the whole house was covered in a layer of fine red dust. My computers, hard drives, TV, furniture and my OM-D with 35-100/2.8. The latter both weather-sealed and completely unaffected by the incident.

I know my circumstances aren't typical and my cameras usually see more use in two months than many people's see in a year, but given my experience with failed cameras, and the reliability of weather-sealed equipment, it's become a top priority for me.

-Najinsky

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,804Gear list
Like?
Re: You're forgetting your place.
In reply to Najinsky, May 4, 2013

Najinsky wrote:

Regan M wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-nex-6/

Here's a good start.  Read both of those before you come back with any further questions.  Make them specific to the type/style/usage of photography that you want to do then people will be able to give you some useful advice.

What you say is very sensible, but you seem to have forgotten where you are. This is the high volume low content m.4/3 forum. What the OP wants or says doesn't really mean anything. Every post here is an open hook on which to hang our own baggage

LOL!!!

So I'll wade straight in and say OM-D!

ROFL!!!

Here's why:

http://j.mp/16xdMig

First up, I just don't like the NEX bodies. Once fitted with an appropriate lens, they lose their compactness and look and feel unbalanced with poor ergonomics.

Hey, you can't not like the bodies -- they so embrace the m43 miniaturization goal. Pity Sony made an error in choosing their sensor size! It’s the lenses that are the problem. If they were m43 bodies I would be all over them like a rash.

I believe NEX is outselling m.4/3… I suspect many NEX users are augmenting their current camera with it rather than fully replacing it.

That would be right -- it’s a DSLR users "pocket" camera or stand-by body. I actually saw this in action in Rabaul, New Guinea, at the National Mask Festival. The guy had a big DSLR with some extravagant zoom on it and a NEX with a w/a pancake waving around in the breeze over one shoulder.

Naturally I stepped in front of him with my mighty E-PL3. Only joking. I respect all other photographers regardless of their equipment decisions.

Actually, I must check my files; I might have a photo of him that shows the two cams.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,790Gear list
Like?
Re: This is a very common request
In reply to Clayton1985, May 4, 2013

Clayton1985 wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

- That said the NEX6 has a very slow start up and shut down in many circumstances, a very difficult and backwards menu system, and a strap lug that will dig into your hand. Practically speaking, those are three things any user would have to deal with in real life.

I've had the NEX 6 for a while now and I haven't had to deal with any of these in real life.   I don't find the menus to be any more or less difficult than the OMD, haven't had any problems with the strap lug, and I haven't noticed the slow start up/shut down (I don't use the kit power zoom).

The Nex-6 even has an old-school control wheel on top (less need to enter the menu).  Plus, with the various buttons and controls, if you customize the settings you use most frequently, that can reduce the need to enter the menu.  Not that I think the menu is perfect by any means, but the main problem I have with it is that it's not always obvious to me if a setting should be under "Camera" or "Settings" and there are so many options that I end up scrolling a while to find something.  OTOH, options are nice.

Slow start-up is probably the kit power-zoom lens.  Personally, I'm  unconcerned about the shut-down time, but I can see where start-up could be an issue.  Could always use something other than the 16-50PZ, although the Sigma lenses are also said to be a bit slow to startup.

I would think it might come down to ergonomics -- which do you like the "feel" of?  And if you're already used to the Olympus menu designs, etc.  Also, if you already have lenses, it's cheaper to stick with the same system.

As far as the lug, I didn't notice this before.  This is another area where you just have to have the feel of the camera.  The way I hold the camera, my hand touches the lug, but I don't grip it where the lug is, so it's not going to "dig in".  But maybe someone else with differently-sized hands (larger?) might have a problem.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
plaopla
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?

Najinsky wrote:

captura wrote:

GingerBread wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

I think you should think long term as you do not seem to want to change cameras too often.  Consider TCO. Long term, the OMD is likely to hold value better and if not sold it should last longer, being better built and weatherproof.

This is an interesting point.  I'm actually more concerned about the longevity of my E-M5 than my NEX 7 due to the complex IBIS of the E-M5.  Hopefully it will hold up well for many years.

-- hide signature --

Ging

If my NEX didn't break, I may never have found the OM-D. I shoot in Asia where dust turns to rain in a heartbeat and insects ingress into any available crevasse. I had 3 cameras fail in 8 months.

GH-2 - Shutter release stuck, would either refuse to fire or keep firing. Some battery compartment corrosion.

NEX-5N - Shutter release stuck. Rear control dial kept locking up. When I discussed it in the NEX forum several people complained of the same things, particularly the rear dial.

This is when I realised how much the weather-sealing on my 5D2 must have been protecting me, it was bullet-proof and never skipped a beat, and all the other clichés. So I decided I really needed a weather-sealed camera.

OM-D has taken about 9-10 months of heavy use. Two tumbles, dust storms, water festival soakings, attempted ant infestations, and a lot more. It scores 11 out of 10 for robustness for me.

Literally, last month a dust storm blew up out of nowhere. My first priority was my 3 month old daughter and getting her into our neighbours house (which was closer).

Then I went to my house and closed all the windows and doors. But by this time, the whole house was covered in a layer of fine red dust. My computers, hard drives, TV, furniture and my OM-D with 35-100/2.8. The latter both weather-sealed and completely unaffected by the incident.

I know my circumstances aren't typical and my cameras usually see more use in two months than many people's see in a year, but given my experience with failed cameras, and the reliability of weather-sealed equipment, it's become a top priority for me.

-Najinsky

what an experience, thanks for sharing.

plaopla
Like?
In reply to GaryW, May 4, 2013

GaryW wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

- That said the NEX6 has a very slow start up and shut down in many circumstances, a very difficult and backwards menu system, and a strap lug that will dig into your hand. Practically speaking, those are three things any user would have to deal with in real life.

I've had the NEX 6 for a while now and I haven't had to deal with any of these in real life.   I don't find the menus to be any more or less difficult than the OMD, haven't had any problems with the strap lug, and I haven't noticed the slow start up/shut down (I don't use the kit power zoom).

The Nex-6 even has an old-school control wheel on top (less need to enter the menu).  Plus, with the various buttons and controls, if you customize the settings you use most frequently, that can reduce the need to enter the menu.  Not that I think the menu is perfect by any means, but the main problem I have with it is that it's not always obvious to me if a setting should be under "Camera" or "Settings" and there are so many options that I end up scrolling a while to find something.  OTOH, options are nice.

Slow start-up is probably the kit power-zoom lens.  Personally, I'm  unconcerned about the shut-down time, but I can see where start-up could be an issue.  Could always use something other than the 16-50PZ, although the Sigma lenses are also said to be a bit slow to startup.

I would think it might come down to ergonomics -- which do you like the "feel" of?  And if you're already used to the Olympus menu designs, etc.  Also, if you already have lenses, it's cheaper to stick with the same system.

As far as the lug, I didn't notice this before.  This is another area where you just have to have the feel of the camera.  The way I hold the camera, my hand touches the lug, but I don't grip it where the lug is, so it's not going to "dig in".  But maybe someone else with differently-sized hands (larger?) might have a problem.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Thx u for the advice, i did hold both and have to say that NEX is a lot more comfortable. for OMD i think i need to buy grip if i m gonna buy it. OMD with extra grip really feel right for me though.

plaopla
Like?

captura wrote:

plaopla wrote:

sderdiarian wrote:

plaopla wrote:

Here is more detail: I currently have GF1 and been using it for 2 years. I consider myself a beginner and take portrait and landscape most of the time. occasionally take pic of my dogs.  hardly use video Mode. like taking pic with low light... so question i have now is which is better in taking picture in low light, sundown... I'd checked sample images with both at very high ISO and NEX seems to do better.

If you've been using a GF1 for 2 years without buying any additional lenses I'm not sure why you see a need to upgrade, especially to a $1000 price range body.  Putting that aside...

E-M5 w/14-42mm kit lens $1049 on Amazon in US

• weathersealed alloy body
  • industry leading 5-axis IBIS
  • tilt/touch 3" OLED screen
  • SCP instant access to settings
  • 2 control wheels
  • 3 programmable buttons
  • Olympus JPEG colors
  • access to all those mFT lenses
  • optional battery grip for handling larger 4/3's lenses

NEX6 w/16-50mm kit lens:  $899 on Amazon in the US

• tilt 3" LCD screen (not a touch screen)
  • hybrid AF
  • 1 control wheel
  • 1 programmable button
  • built-in WiFi
  • built-in flash

Both cameras perform very well in low light, having very similar Sony sensors.  The E-M5 provides a greater range of customizable features, IBIS, weathersealing, a touch OLED screen, and a large range of mFT lenses (may not matter to you) for an extra $150.  The NEX6 offers a smaller and lighter weight rangefinder style body with built-in flash and Wi-Fi.

Your choice, but you might be just as happy with a full-featured G5 for $499 or even an E-PM2 (same 16MP Sony sensor as the E-M5) for $424.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

Thanks for your advice.. The question of why i should upgrade came into my mind several times.  G5 would be too big. At the beginning i was gonna buy NEX 6 but after i did some research, that s when OMD came. amd now it s hard to not choosing OMD. so i just would like to hear from users to confirm. Thanks again

I cannot confirm your decision because I one of the posters on this forum who dislikes the OMD E-M5. Have you posted your question to the group at the Sony NEX foum?

I just did few hours ago, still waiting for more comments.

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,024Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony is not better in low light.

It didn't catch my attention, I did notice people writing about broken screens completely out of nothing etc.

I think that whenever there is something wrong, you'll read it on a fofum so I have to wonder how many people have a problem: 1 in 10 or 1 in 100. Also I think there are probably more people with an OMD on these fora than any other mirrorless camera so the chance of encountering someone with problem is higher, I think.

If there is one camera brand that aeems to really mess up, it is Samsung. Many times the firmware needs really a good update because of quirckyness (not unlik Fuji), but also of the very few users of htat forum there are a lot who return the camera because of defects. That is sad I think, becasue these are otherwise really good camera's.

I have the EPL5 and I am very happy with the way it behaves. Really good.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,024Gear list
Like?

captura wrote:

GingerBread wrote:

If you plan to shoot longer telephoto, then I'd go with the E-M5 because of the 2x crop factor and affordable "long" lenses with AF plus sensor stabilization.  If you are primarily a shorter focal length shooter, then I'd go with the NEX.  I have the E-M5 and an NEX 7.  When I'm shooting wide enough to be between the 19mm Sigma and the 50mm Sony, I prefer the NEX over the E-M5 most of the time.  For ultra wide, though, I like the Oly with the 9-18, and I like the Oly for telephoto.

Ergonomically, I like the feel of the 7 better, but the Super Control Panel of the E-M5 is much better than the Sony's menus.

Both are excellent cameras, it really boils down to the lenses you need.

-- hide signature --

Ging

Sometimes it's nicer to have a 1.5X crop factor, particularly when you are seeking more subject isolation and the blur called bokeh. And the NEX's all have focus peaking when shooting older manual lenses. Believe me, it is invaluable! IMO the need for stabilization has been over-rated as in IBIS. I also have an EPL-1 and turn IBIS off.

Well, that stabilsation seems to be of a different order than the EM5 one....The EM5 one is so good it seems that video looks like it has been made off a tripod!

The bokeh is true but currently we see that as a shortcoming (at least I do) in a range where Sony does not offer any lens: the long zooms. Especially the 100-300 mm offers not enough subject isolation when the subject is really furhter away (which is why I bought the lens). When the subject is at 10-20 m though, it has a lovely DOF! I like its bokeh a whole whole lot actually (to my surprise).
The 75 mm f1.8 offers plenty of shallow DOF and has an excellent bokeh. I am not aware of any Sony lens that equals it. The same is true for the Leica 25mm f1.4, the 45mm f1.8 Oly and the 20 mm 1.7 Panny. They all offer good shallow DOF with a good bokeh.

For WIDE, the Sigma 19 is a very nice lens on my NEX but really I prefer the 14/2.5 on any m43. Uber-sharp, it 'pops' and I must have a good one.

Steve

Well, that is a good advice as it is also cheap. I am buying the 12-35 and 35-100 this week, but otherwise I would probably have tried the 14 mm.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,393Gear list
Like?

plaopla wrote:

Thx u for the advice, i did hold both and have to say that NEX is a lot more comfortable. for OMD i think i need to buy grip if i m gonna buy it. OMD with extra grip really feel right for me though.

I felt the same in the shop.  But I bought the OM-D anyway, and have come to love how it feels in my hand (without a grip).  Using the thumb pad I hold it differently, I think, and it now feels completely natural.

-- hide signature --

Rens
There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +3 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
NEX-6 sensor advantage, m43 lens advantage

The NEX-6 has a better sensor in terms of performance (color depth, DR and high ISO) and DOF control, but the Olympus, and m43 as a system, in general have better lenses than Sony.

DxOMark Sensor Rating - OMD vs NEX-6

I bought a little NEX-3N / 16-50 kit a couple of weeks ago as I've always wanted to try an NEX camera.   And aside from my disappointment with the performance of the 16-50, for the life of my I couldn't figure out a potential three lens kit that I could buy without spending a fortune on the 24 1.8, 50 1.8 OIS, or the new 35 1.8.  So the best I could come up with for a more budget friendly lens lineup was the Sigma 19 and 30 2.8 lenses.  Telephoto zooms aren't great with either system, but there are far fewer telezooms with the NEX system, i.e. the 55-200 is the only one I can think of.

A NEX-5R or NEX-6 would have been a far better choice than the little 3N, so trying to save money with gear is sometimes false economy.  Needless to say I don't have the 3N anymore.

Both NEX and m43 systems have extremely adaptable mounts so it's not unusual to see NEX users using adapter Leica or Canon FD glass.  In the past NEX users tended to adapt so-called legacy lenses more frequently than m43 users.  But Sony's native lens lineup is improving, but m43 still has an advantage for lens lineup especially if small size is important to you.

As far as EVF, some like the position of the EM5 EVF, and some prefer (left eye shooters, in particular).  Sony's EVF is one of the highest resolution-wise.  I've tried it at B&H and it was quite good, more than usable.

Both menu systems are a bit confusing to some new users, but both offer tons of customization, Fn buttons, etc. and command dials making it unnecessary to "menu dive" to change settings.

Anyway, this is a tough call as they are both very good cameras.  You might follow the old adage "Buy into a system".  In other words, figure out what you want to do photographically, what kinds of images you want to make, and buy into the camera system that will help you achieve that goal.  Bodies come and go, the overall camera system - lens lineup, flash system, accessories, etc - is far more important.  So you might write down a potential three lens kit from both systems, and see which lenses offer more from a price / performance perspective and which body/lens combination will help you achieve what you want to photographically.

Lastly, you might download some full-size sample images from both cameras and see which set of images you prefer.

Best of luck, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
aquapell
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list
Like?
Re: THAT....
In reply to RealPancho, May 4, 2013

My pleasure!

If things come together the way I hope I will be buying one from that site shortly. I have been agonizing for several months between getting the NEX 6, or EM 5 or.. waiting for Sony's NEX 7 upgrade.  After doing much research I think that my my mind has been made up on that the EM 5 will best suit my needs.

Alex

aquapell's gear list:aquapell's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sigma SD1 Merrill +12 more
k0mit
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?

Be warned … this is feeling like a "Rant".  

First, let me say where I sit: I own both the Nex-6 and OM-D.  I love both cameras for all the same reasons mentioned in previous posts, but for different reasons, too (IQ is not one of them - more on that later).  However, the camera I reach for in most situations is the little OM-D.  One of the main reasons is the IBIS.  At the age of 63, I'm not as steady as I used to be so the stabilization with every lens is important.  The other main reasons:  small but excellent lenses and terrific customizability and usability.

I was a confirmed OM-D user and then got involved writing a book about the Nex-6 so I spent 6 months immersed in that camera, but as soon as I finished, I found myself gravitating back to the OM-D (IBIS).  When Sony finally figures out how to include IBIS in it's Nex cameras, I may be back.  Actually, with the new collaboration between Olympus and Sony, we may see a merging of the capabilities of their various digital cameras.  Now that would be something … the Solympus OM-NEX-9:  same small size, APS-C sensor, IBIS, touch screen, nice grip (like Nex), high res EVF, …:-)

IQ.  Yes, I'm a "pixel peeper", too.  Not that it's right but I am.  However, I think many (very many) of us have strayed in our image evaluations, venturing into the land of optical/electrical/computer engineering.  IQ and high ISO capability for both of these cameras is amazing!  So don't let the reviewers who say the ISO/color depth/dynamic range is better for one than for the other sway your decision.  Excellent images are possible from both cameras.  In fact, take a look at my latest blog post (ThruMikesViewfinder.com) where I talk about modern high ISO capability.

If I had to put one of my cameras on the market, today … it would be the Nex-6.

-- hide signature --

Mike

k0mit's gear list:k0mit's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
plaopla
Like?
Re: NEX-6 sensor advantage, m43 lens advantage
In reply to marike6, May 4, 2013

marike6 wrote:

The NEX-6 has a better sensor in terms of performance (color depth, DR and high ISO) and DOF control, but the Olympus, and m43 as a system, in general have better lenses than Sony.

DxOMark Sensor Rating - OMD vs NEX-6

I bought a little NEX-3N / 16-50 kit a couple of weeks ago as I've always wanted to try an NEX camera.   And aside from my disappointment with the performance of the 16-50, for the life of my I couldn't figure out a potential three lens kit that I could buy without spending a fortune on the 24 1.8, 50 1.8 OIS, or the new 35 1.8.  So the best I could come up with for a more budget friendly lens lineup was the Sigma 19 and 30 2.8 lenses.  Telephoto zooms aren't great with either system, but there are far fewer telezooms with the NEX system, i.e. the 55-200 is the only one I can think of.

A NEX-5R or NEX-6 would have been a far better choice than the little 3N, so trying to save money with gear is sometimes false economy.  Needless to say I don't have the 3N anymore.

Both NEX and m43 systems have extremely adaptable mounts so it's not unusual to see NEX users using adapter Leica or Canon FD glass.  In the past NEX users tended to adapt so-called legacy lenses more frequently than m43 users.  But Sony's native lens lineup is improving, but m43 still has an advantage for lens lineup especially if small size is important to you.

As far as EVF, some like the position of the EM5 EVF, and some prefer (left eye shooters, in particular).  Sony's EVF is one of the highest resolution-wise.  I've tried it at B&H and it was quite good, more than usable.

Both menu systems are a bit confusing to some new users, but both offer tons of customization, Fn buttons, etc. and command dials making it unnecessary to "menu dive" to change settings.

Anyway, this is a tough call as they are both very good cameras.  You might follow the old adage "Buy into a system".  In other words, figure out what you want to do photographically, what kinds of images you want to make, and buy into the camera system that will help you achieve that goal.  Bodies come and go, the overall camera system - lens lineup, flash system, accessories, etc - is far more important.  So you might write down a potential three lens kit from both systems, and see which lenses offer more from a price / performance perspective and which body/lens combination will help you achieve what you want to photographically.

Lastly, you might download some full-size sample images from both cameras and see which set of images you prefer.

Best of luck, Markus

Thank you very much Markus,  your advice helps a lot.

plaopla
Like?
In reply to k0mit, May 4, 2013

k0mit wrote:

Be warned … this is feeling like a "Rant".  

First, let me say where I sit: I own both the Nex-6 and OM-D.  I love both cameras for all the same reasons mentioned in previous posts, but for different reasons, too (IQ is not one of them - more on that later).  However, the camera I reach for in most situations is the little OM-D.  One of the main reasons is the IBIS.  At the age of 63, I'm not as steady as I used to be so the stabilization with every lens is important.  The other main reasons:  small but excellent lenses and terrific customizability and usability.

I was a confirmed OM-D user and then got involved writing a book about the Nex-6 so I spent 6 months immersed in that camera, but as soon as I finished, I found myself gravitating back to the OM-D (IBIS).  When Sony finally figures out how to include IBIS in it's Nex cameras, I may be back.  Actually, with the new collaboration between Olympus and Sony, we may see a merging of the capabilities of their various digital cameras.  Now that would be something … the Solympus OM-NEX-9:  same small size, APS-C sensor, IBIS, touch screen, nice grip (like Nex), high res EVF, …:-)

IQ.  Yes, I'm a "pixel peeper", too.  Not that it's right but I am.  However, I think many (very many) of us have strayed in our image evaluations, venturing into the land of optical/electrical/computer engineering.  IQ and high ISO capability for both of these cameras is amazing!  So don't let the reviewers who say the ISO/color depth/dynamic range is better for one than for the other sway your decision.  Excellent images are possible from both cameras.  In fact, take a look at my latest blog post (ThruMikesViewfinder.com) where I talk about modern high ISO capability.

If I had to put one of my cameras on the market, today … it would be the Nex-6.

-- hide signature --

Mike

Not rant at all. comments from user who own both like you is wht i ve been waiting for.  Thank you for your advice

captura
Like?

Najinsky wrote:

captura wrote:

GingerBread wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

-- hide signature --

Ging

Very valuable real-life testimony, thanks. No dust storms here in Canada. But the 5R's unusually going over to resistive screen means that touch screen can be operated with gloves on.

The truth is that most modern mirrorless cameras are quite reliable. The latest generation of NEX cameras are very good and the next generation of OMD's (there may be 3 of them) will I am sure, be improved.

However it was only one week ago when this forum had a long thread about the E-M5 being the least-reliable Olympus camera, ever. There was a litany of complaints.

-Najinsky

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
captura
Like?
Re: You're forgetting your place.
In reply to Hen3ry, May 4, 2013

Hi Geoff,

You said, "I believe NEX is outselling m.4/3… I suspect many NEX users are augmenting their current camera with it rather than fully replacing it."

That is EXACTLY what I am doing! Augmenting NEX with either of two m43 cameras, regularly. M43 are especially good augmenters because of the good quality cheap and small telephoto options.

Cheers,

Steve

captura
Like?
In reply to GaryW, May 4, 2013

I've never experienced slow start-up times with the 5R/6 but then I don't have the new PZ 16-50 lens. That lens is OK as a p&s quality item, about the same as the Panasdonic 14-42 PZ. Nothing to write home about.

captura
Like?
Re: Sony is not better in low light.
In reply to Jorginho, May 4, 2013

You said, "I have the EPL5 and I am very happy with the way it behaves. Really good."

There's a fond spot in my heart for my E-PL1. Love the JPEGS colors and the Supermenu. The PENS have soul.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads