Our Kirk Quick Release plates compatible with RRS clamps and vice-versa?

Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions
WillyKros
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Our Kirk Quick Release plates compatible with RRS clamps and vice-versa?
May 2, 2013

Folks,

Looking at investing in an L-Bracket setup for my D7000.  Like the look of the Kirk L-Bracket, and it is relatively affordable within Canada from a Kirk distributor.

I notice that both Kirk and RRS (ReallyRightStuff) both utilize the Arca-Swiss style of dovetail plate setup.

I'm wondering if I purchase the Kirk L-Bracket, am I now always committed to Kirk clamps, rails, etc.  In other words, could I use a Kirk body plate, lens plate, or L-Bracket with a RRS clamp? And of course, vice-versa, could I use RRS plates with Kirk QR clamps?

Thanks in advance ... Bill

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
newtoy
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?
Re: Our Kirk Quick Release plates compatible with RRS clamps and vice-versa?
In reply to WillyKros, May 3, 2013

If you stick with knob type clamp, then they are all compatible with each others.

newtoy's gear list:newtoy's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,464Gear list
Like?
In reply to WillyKros, May 4, 2013

I've used both but prefer RRS, but I've not had any difficulty using a Kirk plate with any Arca-Swiss clamp. As the previous poster said, if you use a knob release there is certainly no problem, but even with a lever style quick release most I've seen are adjustable to provide proper tension when closed if it's even needed.

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 736Gear list
Like?
In reply to WillyKros, Aug 6, 2013

WillyKros wrote:

Folks,

Looking at investing in an L-Bracket setup for my D7000.  Like the look of the Kirk L-Bracket, and it is relatively affordable within Canada from a Kirk distributor.

I notice that both Kirk and RRS (ReallyRightStuff) both utilize the Arca-Swiss style of dovetail plate setup.

I'm wondering if I purchase the Kirk L-Bracket, am I now always committed to Kirk clamps, rails, etc.  In other words, could I use a Kirk body plate, lens plate, or L-Bracket with a RRS clamp? And of course, vice-versa, could I use RRS plates with Kirk QR clamps?

Thanks in advance ... Bill

As per the RRS website, lever clamps will work with Kirk plates as long as the plates are "less than one year old". I assume RRS refer to date when the plate hit the market, not when it was produced. So, in the case of the D7000, you need to check. But RRS screw clamps certainly pose no problem.

PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,760Gear list
Like?
Kirk Quick Release plates compatible with screw but not lever RRS clamps
In reply to WillyKros, Aug 13, 2013

RRS lever clamps are not adjustable-width, and RRS states that other non-RRS plates won't work with RRS lever clamps. The RRS (and all brands) screw clamps will work with any brand of Arca-Swiss-type QR plates.

I have an Arca-Swiss BRAND lever clamp, it has adjustable-width capacity, and I believe there are other lever clamps that are adjustable (ArcaTech?).

I like the Kirk L brackets, they are well designed.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads