Could the OM-D be upgraded to focus peaking via firmware?

Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions
raven900sx
Regular MemberPosts: 431
Like?
Re: In a word YES.
In reply to captura, May 3, 2013

if the hardware in the camera is capable then yes.  the original Pentax Q had focus peaking added via a firmware  update

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dylanear
Senior MemberPosts: 2,520Gear list
Like?
Re: Could the OM-D be upgraded to focus peaking via firmware?
In reply to don_van_vliet, May 4, 2013

don_van_vliet wrote:

Just revisiting this often wondered question. Apparently the new PEN has focus peaking, and uses the same processor, I think (Truepic VI), so presumably it wouldn't be a processing power issue. It would instead be an issue of effort/programming/marketing. Thoughts? It would be good if the OM-D was upgraded to use the smaller focus points of the current PENS too, but I suppose Oly don't want to remove all the reasons to upgrade your OM-D...

I wouldn't expect it, but Oly did very impressive updates of the E-P1 AF speed and other nice firmware changes. So it might happen!

dylanear's gear list:dylanear's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus PEN E-P5
AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
Re: In a word YES.
In reply to raven900sx, May 4, 2013

raven900sx wrote:

if the hardware in the camera is capable then yes.  the original Pentax Q had focus peaking added via a firmware  update

You do realize it has little to do with the hardware in the camera. Right?

Monitors implement focus peaking.  They will work on any camera with suitable output.  It's all in the software.

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,162Gear list
Like?
Not only that
In reply to AllMankind, May 4, 2013

It already has the capability, in the form of a kludge (by using one of the art filters)  You just lose the jpeg (or rather, it comes out w the filter applied)  But based on that art filter, they could give focus peeking and just not apply the filter to the jpeg... Sounds simple enough in theory.

Personally, I'd be more impressed by one button access to mysets... or even add them to the SCP

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,858Gear list
Like?
Even Better
In reply to Art_P, May 4, 2013

Art_P wrote:

It already has the capability, in the form of a kludge (by using one of the art filters)  You just lose the jpeg (or rather, it comes out w the filter applied)  But based on that art filter, they could give focus peeking and just not apply the filter to the jpeg... Sounds simple enough in theory.

Personally, I'd be more impressed by one button access to mysets... or even add them to the SCP

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Set up a MySet with the Art Filter and the DTC on (2X magnification). Set a button to turn the MySet on. Now you have focus-peaking at the press of a button. Press the button, get your focus right, let off the button, then take your shot. Your JPEG and your RAW come out fine.

Another advantage to doing it this way is that you can more easily check to make sure you got focus (and other settings) correct on the camera if the art filter wasn't applied to the JPEG.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads