Could the OM-D be upgraded to focus peaking via firmware?

Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions
don_van_vliet
Contributing MemberPosts: 618
Like?
Could the OM-D be upgraded to focus peaking via firmware?
May 2, 2013

Just revisiting this often wondered question. Apparently the new PEN has focus peaking, and uses the same processor, I think (Truepic VI), so presumably it wouldn't be a processing power issue. It would instead be an issue of effort/programming/marketing. Thoughts? It would be good if the OM-D was upgraded to use the smaller focus points of the current PENS too, but I suppose Oly don't want to remove all the reasons to upgrade your OM-D...

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,163Gear list
Like?
Or any of them?
In reply to don_van_vliet, May 2, 2013

I'd sure love the option of a smaller focus box that doesn't go away.  Assigning mysets to otherwise unused slots on the mode dial- brilliant.  Even assigning one function button to toggle through mysets would make me happy.  Focus peeking?  not a top priority for me

But I'm not holding my breath- Olympus wants to sell new cameras, not update old cameras for free so we don't need to buy new...

Also, while the processor may be the same, the new camera may have additional memory slots needed to hold the additional settings, so just updating the FW might not be enough to give us the goodies we want.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
Re: Or any of them?
In reply to Art_P, May 2, 2013

Art_P wrote:

I'd sure love the option of a smaller focus box that doesn't go away.  Assigning mysets to otherwise unused slots on the mode dial- brilliant.  Even assigning one function button to toggle through mysets would make me happy.  Focus peeking?  not a top priority for me

But I'm not holding my breath- Olympus wants to sell new cameras, not update old cameras for free so we don't need to buy new...

Also, while the processor may be the same, the new camera may have additional memory slots needed to hold the additional settings, so just updating the FW might not be enough to give us the goodies we want.

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

If additional memory is required to hold more settings and code, and not available, that can be created by data compression/decompression, swapping on demand with other functionality not selected.  It is just a matter of will and what Olympus wants to do.  I believe that, being the top OMD line, the newer and more significant improvements like the small AF box should be provided.  Focus Peaking is not used by most people, and not used all the time even for those who use them, and not really essential.  If Olympus does not provide the essential ones, it loses some credibility of its commitment to this OMD, supposed top model.  As well as the E-M5 is selling, I think we will get the Myset and small AF box, and hopefully also the FP improvements.

SkiHound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,327
Like?
Re: Could the OM-D be upgraded to focus peaking via firmware?
In reply to don_van_vliet, May 2, 2013

Could they? I don't know but I suspect they could. But in the past Olympus really has not released new features in firmware. They've mostly done fixes. So I doubt they will.

-- hide signature --

www.bjaphotos.smugmug.com

Art_P
Like?
Well, I hope
In reply to Sergey Borachev, May 2, 2013

they can at least do the small focus box... that's more of a fix than a new feature anyway.

But like I said, this is Olympus, I'm not holding my breath

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
Re: Well, I hope
In reply to Art_P, May 3, 2013

Art_P wrote:

they can at least do the small focus box... that's more of a fix than a new feature anyway.

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

I know what you mean.  Olympus is different.  or difficult? 

Other makers will make sure they support their main, their important or best selling products well.  The E-M5 is like the Samsung S3, and the E-P5 the Samsung Note 2, a more niche product.  The S3 gets all the goodies, accessories, updates, but the other models not as much.  I am not surprised if Olympus neglects the E-M5.

I am still waiting for some proper support products for what is its new image builder flagship line, like a proper waterproof flash unit, a faster proof kit zoom that fits this top model better, and more weather proof lenses, and black lenses (coming soon) that matches the silver and black models better than some funny silver colours as on many existing lenses.  If Olympus does not support properly its OMD models and only provide updates in the form of a new version, it will lose credibility in this flagship line.  I like the idea of passing on features to other models and not holding back on technology (like Canon and Panasonic), but it should also support its high-end products properly, at least for a couple of years.

RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
In reply to don_van_vliet, May 3, 2013

don_van_vliet wrote:

Just revisiting this often wondered question. Apparently the new PEN has focus peaking, and uses the same processor, I think (Truepic VI), so presumably it wouldn't be a processing power issue. It would instead be an issue of effort/programming/marketing. Thoughts? It would be good if the OM-D was upgraded to use the smaller focus points of the current PENS too, but I suppose Oly don't want to remove all the reasons to upgrade your OM-D...

Whether it could, I certainly can't tell you, but I can all but guarantee you that it WILL NOT. When has Olympus ever offered a substantial upgrade via firmware? And this is a shame, because if the E-M5 had focus peaking, I think I would use it extensively. I hate focussing digital cameras. I miss my OM-1's micro prism, and I hate these stupid focus rings that go round and round endlessly. Wow, do I sound like an old curmudgeon. Sorry.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,736Gear list
Like?

It is possible that several of the newer cameras already have the capacity built-in, only requiring that (call home, ET!) firmware update for F.P. Certainly that was the case with my Sony NEX-3, about a year after I purchased it.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Art_P
Like?
Olympus did once
In reply to RealPancho, May 3, 2013

add a feature.

When the E-520 came out, IS did not work w legacy lenses.  They added that as a FW update.

I don't know, however, if they originally planned to include it but it wasn't ready in time, or if they buckled under the pressure of many folks asking for it.  They never did add focus conformation for legacy lenses.

Now if the E-P5 is using the same architecture, same support chips, same mapping of circuits as the E-M5, it should take very little effort to import the new features to the previous body.  And yes, it would make for quite a bit of good will.

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,134Gear list
Like?
Re: Well, I hope

Art_P wrote:

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

I agree. After all, this is the company that puts making money from lens hoods over customer relations. It also probably depends on when Olympus plans on releasing a successor to the E-M5. The more new goodies they can put in the next model the more likely people are to upgrade.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?

don_van_vliet wrote:

According to a rumour site, a hacker claims FP is already built into the OM-D firmware, along with enhanced video performance options, but both have been disabled by hiding the menu options to engage them.

It's an unsubstantiated rumour, of an unsubstantiated hacker claim, so easy to dismiss. Yet still I feel inclined to believe it.

It's not uncommon for software to have features built in during development but which for some reason (usually bugs or poor performance) is made inaccessible to the user until such time the bugs/performance issues are worked out.

I doubt Olympus will see the E-P5 as targeted at OM-D users. OM-D will remain a flagship, and the E-P5 will sit along side it as a replacement for the E-P3.

In 'traditional' Olympus style, the E-P3 will not get any new features via firmware, but I wouldn't rule out OM-D gaining access to features it may have been intended to have via a firmware update.

-Najinsky

jll35
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
In reply to RealPancho, May 3, 2013

but in the old days, they never had focus peaking.

so. why can't you just focus manually, the EVF is good enough and it has

magnification to help you focus better

jll35's gear list:jll35's gear list
Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
In reply to jll35, May 3, 2013

jll35 wrote:

I used my eyes to do the focus peaking. I could look at the scene in my viewfinder and see what was or wasn't in focus.

so. why can't you just focus manually, the EVF is good enough

Sorry, but it really isn't, at least for me.

and it has

I've tried the magnification, and it just drives me crazy to have the scene jumping in and out like that.

I should add that my focus problems are rare, and I've never even seen focus peaking, let alone used it, but from its description, it sounds like a very useful benefit.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
captura
Like?
In reply to jll35, May 3, 2013

jll35 wrote:

so. why can't you just focus manually, the EVF is good enough and it has

In the old days, there were no cameras.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
FoolyCooly
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,458Gear list
Like?
YES

I added that functionality and more to my 5D MKii with a 3rd party firmware. Magiclantern is what it was called. Sadly I recently let my 5D go... too many camera brands. I'm only going to shoot MFT and Nikon for now.

-- hide signature --

The best camera is the one you have with you.

FoolyCooly's gear list:FoolyCooly's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS 6D
AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
In a word YES.

In fact, the original NEX 3/5 did not have peaking, but it was added in a firmware upgrade.

captura
Like?
Re: In a word YES.
In reply to AllMankind, May 3, 2013

AllMankind wrote:

In fact, the original NEX 3/5 did not have peaking, but it was added in a firmware upgrade.

Yes, I posted that. I really pleasant and unexpected surprise for me when it happened with my NEX3.

A video of the FP working on a G6 reveals a somewhat different appearance to the one on the NEX's.

Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,253Gear list
Like?
It can, but it won't at 99%

Knowing Olympus FW updates history, don't hold your breath.

But I would be happy it they'll prove me wrong, that's why I leave 1% 

-- hide signature --
 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Art_P
Like?
I give it a 10% chance of happening.
In reply to Pixnat2, May 3, 2013

guess it's just the optimist in me

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,253Gear list
Like?
Ok, I follow you :-)

Art_P wrote:

guess it's just the optimist in me

That's nice to be optimist

-- hide signature --
 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads