Markins Q10 ballhead choice

Started May 2, 2013 | Questions
lowlander7
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Markins Q10 ballhead choice
May 2, 2013

I'm about to order a Markins Q10 to use with a Gitzo GT2541 which I recently bought. Reviews I have read are all good apart from one point which seems to keep coming up ie. the panning lock doesn't lock solid and still allows for some movement.

These comments seem to relate to the M10 which I believe was the forerunner to the Q10. Has anyone experience of the Q10? I will use it with a D700 & D300s and lenses up to 70-200f2.8 but occasionally with a 300f2.8 which I believe it will hold ok.

The alternatives are Kirk BH-3 or Acratech GV2. I can't actually see or handle any of these heads so any recent user experience would be helpful.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

lowlander7

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D300S Nikon D700 Pentax Q10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dodgyexposure
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
Re: Markins Q10 ballhead choice
In reply to lowlander7, May 3, 2013

I have a Q10.  The panning knob locks tight enough for me to lock the entire head on to the tripod plate.

Occasionally, when I have the main friction on relatively tight, rotating the camera will pan the entire head (i.e. it appears that the pannign lock loosens over time).  I just tighten it, adn it has never been an issue in practice.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Damien

dodgyexposure's gear list:dodgyexposure's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,730Gear list
Like?
In reply to lowlander7, May 4, 2013

I have the Q20 and never had an issue with the panning knob. I'm sure the Q10 is comparable, and anything is possible, but it would have to take a lot of torque to turn it when securely tightened, i.e., using leverage by grabbing a telephoto and forcefully twisting it against the locked ball head........

btw, I had the Kirk BH-3 before the Markins and the Q20 is far better engineered.....also in design, function, ease of use, and appearance..............

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
lowlander7
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, May 4, 2013

Thanks to both for your replies.

Hank, looking at your setup, you have the centre column removed. Is that a Markins leveling base under the Q20?

My problem is I can't  actually see any of these heads before buying as the nearest stockists of the Kirk and Acratech are 400 miles away and I would have to order the Markins from Gemany or take a chance on e bay and order from Korea. I was starting to lean towards the Kirk but the weight of opinion on the web seems to favour Markins.

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

lowlander7

Hank3152
Like?
In reply to lowlander7, May 4, 2013

lowlander7 wrote:

Thanks to both for your replies.

Hank, looking at your setup, you have the centre column removed. Is that a Markins leveling base under the Q20?

No, that is just a base plate which screws over the wide stub left behind when the column locking collar is removed. If you already have your GT2541, loosen your collar lock (you won't have to remove it) and raise it with the column extended and you'll see what I'm referring to.........

Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Hank3152
Like?
Markins base plate
lowlander7
Like?
Re: Markins base plate

Thanks Hank. It looks intersecting. Does it really make a noticeable difference To your results?

this could end up being an expensive purchase!

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

lowlander7

Hank3152
Like?
In reply to lowlander7, May 5, 2013

lowlander7 wrote:

Thanks Hank. It looks intersecting. Does it really make a noticeable difference To your results?

this could end up being an expensive purchase!

Actually I ended up selling it since I never needed the low profile stance of the tripod that it provides and put the column back on. If you often need the low ground stance for shooting it's a worthwhile investment otherwise I didn't see any noticeable increased benefit in stability since I rarely needed to raise the column.

lowlander7
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, May 5, 2013

Thanks for the additional information Hank. I don't feel compelled to buy it now!.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

lowlander7

5Cats
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Markins Q10 on Gitzo 2-series
In reply to lowlander7, Dec 15, 2013

Sorry for reopening an old thread but I have spent an age trying to work out what ballhead to put on my Gitzo 2-series legs ... I never imagnied it could be so difficult to choose one ... but at the moment the Markins Q10 is the clear favourite (of the Markins the Q3 is possibly too small and I'll never need the Q20).

For those who have ben using the Q10 + Gitzo 2-series for some time - are you still happy with your purchase?

Any views on whether it is better to get the quick release or the screw to hold the base plate mounted on the camera?

I live in Germany so is this actually a good country to buy the Markins heads?  I noticed a lot from South Korea on eBay - that sounds a bit too risky to me and the import charges will be steep here.

My plan is to mount the head on the middle column of the Gitzo.

rascallyrabbit
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: Markins Q10 on Gitzo 2-series
In reply to 5Cats, 7 months ago

If there is any confusion, Markins equipment can be bought from: http://www.markinsamerica.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads