How do legacy 300mm+ lenses do on Nex system?

Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions
pwmoree
Regular MemberPosts: 240Gear list
Like?
Re: Exactly what 300mm lens Peter ??
In reply to cwood, May 3, 2013

It is the 300mm f2.8 tokina at-x.

you can only get them on ebay etc as they are no longer produced.

works fine with the LEA adapters from sony

peter

pwmoree's gear list:pwmoree's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,469
Like?
Re: Exactly what 300mm lens Peter ??
In reply to nzmacro, May 3, 2013

nzmacro wrote:

svgklingon wrote:

Well something like this for example...

Tokina 60-300

It's cheap so I know the glass can only be so good but I was just curious if folks have had positive experiences with long lenses.

Thanks, I see what you are after. A little short for me, I prefer 500mm. I do use a Canon FD 100-300 F/5.6L now and again which is sharp with no CA, but they do cost a little more. Its a bit like any lens really, you basically get what you pay for and that includes legacy lenses within reason.

So plenty of NEX users do have and use legacy lenses. I use a Canon FD 500 F/4.5L about 90% of the time, 10% would be with the 300 or 800mm.

All the best.

Danny,

-- hide signature --

Are you using one of those:

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,083Gear list
Like?
The FD version I use
In reply to forpetessake, May 3, 2013

forpetessake wrote:

Yes the FD version of that 500. All manual focus and no OIS, really sharp lens.

Here's what i use on the NEX-7...........

http://birdsinaction.com/index.php/Equipment/Birding-lenses

All the best and the 300 and 500 were used on the Panasonic G2 as well.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,095
Like?
Yellowstone
In reply to svgklingon, May 3, 2013

If you haven't been to Yellowstone before, you'll be surprised at how much of the wildlife does not require a long lens. On a couple of trips there I took a Canon 100-400 which was perfect range. I used my Canon 70-200 very often on one trip. Sure - there are some shots which require the 500 range, and even beyond that. But you can't have everything - or I can't anyway. <G>

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

daddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: How do legacy 300mm+ lenses do on Nex system?
In reply to capt bob, May 3, 2013

I use a Konica 300mm f4.5. It's heavy, requires a tripod, but produces excellent images at a relatively fast aperture and is cheap (about $100US).

Mike

daddyman's gear list:daddyman's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
keith1101
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
In reply to svgklingon, May 3, 2013

Minolta rokkor x 300mm prime is good, better is nikkor 400mm  ai both mf both best with tripod,although nikkor is lighter & hand holding is quite possible.

regards keith.

AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,190Gear list
Like?
In reply to Louno, May 3, 2013

I have the Vivitar 18-200mm and I've just today bought a Sigma 70-300mm.

The big problem with the Vivitar is flare, but I also find that the combined focus/zoom ring is a problem. The Sigma, with separate controls, makes it easier to focus and then fine-tune framing with the zoom.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Regis Ter
Regular MemberPosts: 222
Like?
In reply to AlbertInFrance, May 3, 2013

I have a f:4.5/300mm Makinon, in M42 mount. Big, heavy, and really cheap (got it for 10 euros !).

I didn't expect much, but was pleasantly surprised at how it performs stopped down to 5.6 or 8. Not much to say. Handheld is OK only in sunny weather, but then it works. It lacks contrast, as most legacy do, but it is not that bad. A really fun lens to go out and shoot on sunny summer days…

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,469
Like?
Re: The FD version I use
In reply to nzmacro, May 3, 2013

nzmacro wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

Yes the FD version of that 500. All manual focus and no OIS, really sharp lens.

Here's what i use on the NEX-7...........

http://birdsinaction.com/index.php/Equipment/Birding-lenses

All the best and the 300 and 500 were used on the Panasonic G2 as well.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

Awesome lenses. I met a couple of guys with their big Canons, they got all the birds. I couldn't get close enough with 300mm. Only this little guy allowed me to get closer, but he definitely wasn't happy with my advances

bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,095
Like?
Re: The FD version I use
In reply to forpetessake, May 4, 2013

Somewhere in my files is an image taken at Yellowstone at daybreak a few years ago. There are probably 30 or 40 photographers all lined up on the banks of the river, with their immense 500mm (and higher) lenses on tripods, pointed at an elk carcass on the opposite bank, where a bear sow and her two cubs were feeding. Until that moment I thought my Canon 100-400 with its 1.5X telextender was a really "big" lens. It looked like a toy compared to the multitude of really long lenses!

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 653Gear list
Like?
In reply to svgklingon, May 4, 2013

Not exactly "legacy" but my EF 300mm F4 IS really rocks on the NEX-7. I call it a Frankencamera but it shows more of what the NEX-7 sensor is capable of. I am about to sell off all my Canon EOS gear but hoping this is one of the last lenses to go.

JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
Carlgo
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
In reply to keith1101, May 4, 2013

Looking at a lot of legacy telephotos on ebay...those things are just huge! Maybe a Telyt would at least be lighter than the SLR type designs, but still no stabilization. Since one has to use at least a monopod and high shutter speeds, and often correspondingly higher ISOs, then maybe just get a mirror lens...?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads