D600 oil design problem - latest serial # - is it fixed ?

Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,987Gear list
Like?
Very disappointing (n/t)
In reply to Pabloelguapo, May 3, 2013
-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,987Gear list
Like?
A promising experience
In reply to ScottRH, May 5, 2013

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51407273

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,663Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 oil design problem - latest serial # - is it fixed ?
In reply to Nikonfan99, May 6, 2013

Nikonfan99 wrote:

I agree. When I first brought this issue up it was the same thing. He kept posting that he has no issue and made it seem like just send it in and all will be fine. When asked how much he has shot he said a very low number. I was explaining that this issue may not show up till later in the life of the camera (in my case 2,000+ shots in) to which I dont think he had much of a response. I think he has placed me on his ignore list which is fine with me.

Actually, you are not on my ignore list. The image I posted of Arches NP (last week) was NEC 2284. The last image was Nec 2313. No dust, no oil. I have a first and last name, 2 web sites, and can be easily contacted - including my home phone. I have been a contributing member of dpreview for over 12 years (18,263 posts). I am not anonymous and probably have a lot better official Nikon contacts than most posters here - including yourself. Your "name", Nikonfan, seems to be very misleading being that over 90% of your posts are rants against Nikon. It is what it is.

Nikon was in total denial at first and I feel under pressure released a statement and that statement did not say much that we did not already know. It is the same as it was day one. Buy a d600 and hope you dont have the issue as bad as some people do. Most users will not notice it unless they know what to look for...but some know what to look for but like to live in denial. I am not saying every d600 will have the issue. That is foolish but enough do that it can be a problem for SOME. Steve also said his d7000 never had backfocus or dust/lubricant so I guess he has been lucky. I dont have that kind of luck but do have cleaning supplies from copper hill images

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
VisuallyOriented
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
Re: A promising experience
In reply to TOF guy, May 6, 2013

Nikon replaced the shutter on my D600 and after 3 days (5000 shots) the camera has about 15-20 spots on the filter.  The spotting isn't bad enough to ruin an image although it would require some cloning if I where shooting landscapes.

Perhaps the most important finding to me is the spotting is not completely random; it is primarily in the upper left of the pictures just as it was before.

Definitely a disappointment.  Nikon must know what the cause is.... It's hard for me to believe that they would change out shutters if that is not the cause.  I've built some rapport with one of the Techs at the service center and he was absolutely sincere when he said that he hadn't seen 1 D600 come back for spotting after the shutter was changed.

I live close to a service center so I'll take it back when convenient.  Perhaps 1 more cleaning and it behave like a typical DSLR which to me means about 10,000 shots between cleaning.

Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 6, 2013

What you wrote about who you are and how long you have been on here has little to do with the issue at hand and neither has my screen name anything to do with if the d600 has problems. That has clearly been demonstrated by much more reputable sources and has been pointed out by nikons own statement on the issue. Either the issue is valid or it is not? So which is it? Nikon is replacing d600 shuttets because of no issue? I guess they do it for fun. You admited yourself that you have not shot a large number of photos. Would you like me to go back and find it? Also who are your sources at nikon because I am sure we would like to contact them about this issue and maybe you can assist us by sharing this information. Please post exactly what your contacts told you and who they are. Having 18,000+ posts does not demonstrate anything as far as having relevance to the d600 issue. Also saying how long you have been shooting helps in what way?

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
Re: A promising experience
In reply to VisuallyOriented, May 6, 2013

VisuallyOriented wrote:

Nikon replaced the shutter on my D600 and after 3 days (5000 shots) the camera has about 15-20 spots on the filter.  The spotting isn't bad enough to ruin an image although it would require some cloning if I where shooting landscapes.

Perhaps the most important finding to me is the spotting is not completely random; it is primarily in the upper left of the pictures just as it was before.

Definitely a disappointment.  Nikon must know what the cause is.... It's hard for me to believe that they would change out shutters if that is not the cause.  I've built some rapport with one of the Techs at the service center and he was absolutely sincere when he said that he hadn't seen 1 D600 come back for spotting after the shutter was changed.

I live close to a service center so I'll take it back when convenient.  Perhaps 1 more cleaning and it behave like a typical DSLR which to me means about 10,000 shots between cleaning.

Disappointing news. Sounds like Nikon is giving D600 owners the runaround as they do NOT have the definitive fix for the problem. Kind of like going to the doctor and getting a placebo.

Do you think they're replacing the original shutters with the exact same shutters from the same manufacturing facility?

Again, what a mess.

Stan

KennyXL
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
In reply to ScottRH, May 6, 2013

ScottRH wrote:

What is the latest serial number and is the oil on the sensor fixed ?

I bought a D600 in-store from Best Buy a couple weeks ago.  I bought the last one they had in the stock (or that is what I was told which I have no reason to disbelieve) and I was shocked to find the serial # to be 300####.  In other words, it must have been sitting in a forgotten corner for months if I understand how these serial numbers work.  I took phenomenal pictures, but it did develop about 12 dust spots that I could see.  I've never had to use a rocket blower before, but I decided that the pictures were too good to not put up a fight so I ordered on on Amazon and the dust spots seemed to go away.  I decided to test the camera a couple days later by setting it to f/11 and shooting a blue sky and, sure enough, at least 2 spots that I could see.  I decided, as much as I really liked the camera, to return it to Best Buy and pick up a D800.  To be honest, I liked the D600 more, but I didn't want to have to deal with the issues.  I am more than willing to re-visit the camera once there is a verified fix from Nikon.  It's a tremendous camera and probably more suited for me than the D800.

By the way...the D800 may have some focusing issue on the left side.  Coincidentally, they told me this was the last one they had on stock as well...

KennyXL's gear list:KennyXL's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,649
Like?
In reply to KennyXL, May 6, 2013

KennyXL wrote:

ScottRH wrote:

What is the latest serial number and is the oil on the sensor fixed ?

I bought a D600 in-store from Best Buy a couple weeks ago.  I bought the last one they had in the stock (or that is what I was told which I have no reason to disbelieve) and I was shocked to find the serial # to be 300####.  In other words, it must have been sitting in a forgotten corner for months if I understand how these serial numbers work.  I took phenomenal pictures, but it did develop about 12 dust spots that I could see.  I've never had to use a rocket blower before, but I decided that the pictures were too good to not put up a fight so I ordered on on Amazon and the dust spots seemed to go away.  I decided to test the camera a couple days later by setting it to f/11 and shooting a blue sky and, sure enough, at least 2 spots that I could see.  I decided, as much as I really liked the camera, to return it to Best Buy and pick up a D800.  To be honest, I liked the D600 more, but I didn't want to have to deal with the issues.  I am more than willing to re-visit the camera once there is a verified fix from Nikon.  It's a tremendous camera and probably more suited for me than the D800.

By the way...the D800 may have some focusing issue on the left side.  Coincidentally, they told me this was the last one they had on stock as well...

Yes thanks. that is an old SN. SN around 607xxxx have been reported to have the issue.

My opinion is we wait for one of the replacements - D600s or D750. i personally dont want the D800/e landscape camera.

Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,225Gear list
Like?
If I get my D600 back from Nikon
In reply to KennyXL, May 6, 2013

I decided to test the camera a couple days later by setting it to f/11 and shooting a blue sky and, sure enough, at least 2 spots that I could see.  I decided, as much as I really liked the camera, to return it to Best Buy and pick up a D800.  To be honest, I liked the D600 more, but I didn't want to have to deal with the issues.  I am more than willing to re-visit the camera once there is a verified fix from Nikon.

...and all I pick up is 2 oil spots, I might be inclined to consider it FIXED

exposed to reveal the stuff on the sensor.

rubicon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630Gear list
Like?
Re: Really, no more sensor oil issues?
In reply to Nikonfan99, May 7, 2013

This is the very reason I'm not excited about the D600! no one can prove that on the shelf there still sets a LEMON! and I would really like a D600 to go with my D700, but I'll wait till maybe a D600 replacement is about to be released then I'll jump.

But I just have lost faith in Nikon and their lack of serious attempts  to fix the problem, it reminded me of the American car manufactures in the 70s and 80s "get it off the assembly line" and let the dealer worry with the problem.

For those who have a D600 and its fine I'm happy for you, but I'm not going to play Nikons game of "back and forth" and them maybe.

Rubicon:

rubicon's gear list:rubicon's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Nikon2011
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
In reply to ScottRH, May 7, 2013

i've got mine today !

actuations check : 01

oil spot check : (see file)

serial 60773xx (north europe)

Nikon2011's gear list:Nikon2011's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
bocajrs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikonfan99, May 8, 2013

Nikonfan99 wrote:

What you wrote about who you are and how long you have been on here has little to do with the issue at hand and neither has my screen name anything to do with if the d600 has problems. That has clearly been demonstrated by much more reputable sources and has been pointed out by nikons own statement on the issue. Either the issue is valid or it is not? So which is it? Nikon is replacing d600 shuttets because of no issue? I guess they do it for fun. You admited yourself that you have not shot a large number of photos. Would you like me to go back and find it? Also who are your sources at nikon because I am sure we would like to contact them about this issue and maybe you can assist us by sharing this information. Please post exactly what your contacts told you and who they are. Having 18,000+ posts does not demonstrate anything as far as having relevance to the d600 issue. Also saying how long you have been shooting helps in what way?

Mary, Mgr from Melvile CC  is handling my D600 issue which is now in service for the third time. She assured me that her 3rd level techs and or her would test the camera once it left the shop and would call me to share results (to see if issue has been fixed) prior to shipping it out.

She stated if issue persists, she could refund my money or they could fix it (Hmm...Haven't I heard that before) ..I don't think I wanna go through this again with a newer body, guess it's 50/50 crapshoot at this point. I truly enjoy the camera, but man, why can't they fix this fing thing.

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,649
Like?
In reply to bocajrs, May 9, 2013

bocajrs wrote:

Nikonfan99 wrote:

Mary, Mgr from Melvile CC  is handling my D600 issue which is now in service for the third time. She assured me that her 3rd level techs and or her would test the camera once it left the shop and would call me to share results (to see if issue has been fixed) prior to shipping it out.

She stated if issue persists, she could refund my money or they could fix it (Hmm...Haven't I heard that before) ..I don't think I wanna go through this again with a newer body, guess it's 50/50 crapshoot at this point. I truly enjoy the camera, but man, why can't they fix this fing thing.

Sounds like they are being honest to me.

Steve Bingham
Like?
Re: No, it's not 'fixed' STEVE....
In reply to opusone, May 9, 2013

opusone wrote:

Go into any merchant's forum and see new daily reports of new owners getting the same problem.

So why do you keep telling people it is? Like Thom Hogan who also told me to go ahead and order D600...because you both got good copies ?

Pretty shabby!

Edited by moderator

Hi Bart,

Your response was a little agressive. However, we have known each other as photographers for some time. I have always respected your work. In fact I even have you on my "Photographers" link page (both sites) with this introduction: Award winning and internationally published photographer Bart Aldrich takes inspiration from a wide range of visual sources and creates lasting images noted for their vibrant colors, strong composition and intimate details.

The problem with the D600 was a faulty production run where some of the shutter inclosures had too large a gap at the bottom right side - allowing dust and lubricant to enter into the sensor area. A manafacturing glitz. To fix this, the shutter mechanism, and more importantly, the housing, needs to be replaced. Here in the USA, stores like B&H have returned quite a few to Nikon USA for this repair.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Ecniv
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 9, 2013

Steve Bingham wrote:

opusone wrote:

Go into any merchant's forum and see new daily reports of new owners getting the same problem.

So why do you keep telling people it is? Like Thom Hogan who also told me to go ahead and order D600...because you both got good copies ?

Pretty shabby!

Edited by moderator

Hi Bart,

Your response was a little agressive. However, we have known each other as photographers for some time. I have always respected your work. In fact I even have you on my "Photographers" link page (both sites) with this introduction: Award winning and internationally published photographer Bart Aldrich takes inspiration from a wide range of visual sources and creates lasting images noted for their vibrant colors, strong composition and intimate details.

The problem with the D600 was a faulty production run where some of the shutter inclosures had too large a gap at the bottom right side - allowing dust and lubricant to enter into the sensor area. A manafacturing glitz. To fix this, the shutter mechanism, and more importantly, the housing, needs to be replaced. Here in the USA, stores like B&H have returned quite a few to Nikon USA for this repair.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Then explain to all of us why new production line cameras still exhibit this problem, and why so many people are still having this issue after having shutter mechanism or housing replaced?????

opusone
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
Nikon did???

Thanks, Steve. I, like many, many others was extremely aggravated about wanting this camera so much and p/o'd that Nikon had messed it up.

You said: "To fix this, the shutter mechanism, and more importantly, the housing, needs to be replaced. Here in the USA, stores like B&H have returned quite a few to Nikon USA for this repair."

If this is true, how come this is the first we've ever heard of it? And where did you get this info?

I did buy mine from good old B&H and so far it appears that I got lucky; time will tell.

All the best!

Bart

opusone's gear list:opusone's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
1w12q312qw1
Like?

Steve Bingham wrote:

Steve,

Respectfully, sir, you have a post in this thread from last week that says the problem is fixed "completely". But the above statement says the shutters and housing must be replaced. And, as far as I know, B&H would never divulge confidential information such as you imply. You may have talked to a salesman on the phone but I'm pretty sure they do not have that information available to them.

So I am asking how you know for a fact that the housings need to be replaced when every repair by Nikon so far is just saying the shutter? Are you making an "educated" guess about that? If so, couldn't we also guess that there may be an insufficient or ineffective "seal" at that critical area on the housing?

And who at B&H gave you the very confidential information about "quite a few" returns? Just trying to clarify, that's all.

Stan

Fletch147
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,766Gear list
Like?
Mine just gone back today! damn!
In reply to ScottRH, May 9, 2013

Noticed all my pics had a few dust spots from the start.....

Took a few images today from f16-f22, the sensor is littered with dark spots and splodges! Not even paid for it either yet! lol

Returned for refund......will get another. But biding my time for a bit.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Jonathan. (Fletch)

Fletch147's gear list:Fletch147's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
Steve Bingham
Like?
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, May 10, 2013

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Steve,

Respectfully, sir, you have a post in this thread from last week that says the problem is fixed "completely". But the above statement says the shutters and housing must be replaced. And, as far as I know, B&H would never divulge confidential information such as you imply. You may have talked to a salesman on the phone but I'm pretty sure they do not have that information available to them.

So I am asking how you know for a fact that the housings need to be replaced when every repair by Nikon so far is just saying the shutter? Are you making an "educated" guess about that? If so, couldn't we also guess that there may be an insufficient or ineffective "seal" at that critical area on the housing?

And who at B&H gave you the very confidential information about "quite a few" returns? Just trying to clarify, that's all.

Stan

I guess you will never know, Stan. Good luck in your quest for the perfect camera. I never said I got this information from B&H. Read carefully, my friend.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

1w12q312qw1
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 10, 2013

Steve Bingham wrote:

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Steve,

Stan

I guess you will never know, Stan. Good luck in your quest for the perfect camera. I never said I got this information from B&H. Read carefully, my friend.

Steve,

Guess I will never know what? The answer to my questions to you? Why are you so cryptic? I asked you to explain the source of your information and you tell me I'll never know? Then why the heck do you make such declarative and "authoritative" statements like that? For fun? Or were you just bloaviating without anything credible to draw on? Is this why you seem to get under people's skin here?

You say the problem is completely fixed then say the housings are the source of the problems. Then you say stores like B&H have seen many returns. What other "inside" information can you enlighten us with?

And I don't expect to find the perfect camera, but if I spend $2000 on a body, I DO expect the company to appreciate my business and not throw me under the bus.

Stan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads