Entry level dslr

Started May 1, 2013 | Discussions
luke71933
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Entry level dslr
May 1, 2013

Hi,
    I just got interested in photography, I was looking for a dslr to shoot videos of parkour(sport google it) but now I want to start photography too. Which Dslr would you think is good for me , the D3100 is the cheapest one, i really like it but I don't know if it would be good for me to learn on and don't know if it is able to take professional photos for when I get better. Is it worth it to spend a little more and buy the D5100 or the D3200 or the canon 600D ?

Bruce Miller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331
Like?
Re: Entry level dslr
In reply to luke71933, May 1, 2013

If you can afford it, buy the D5100. It is a great little camera.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

Any entry level DSLR will be fine to get you started.  If you can spend some time handling them in a camera store, to see which feels good in your hand. Don't be worried that you might a mistake and choose a 'bad' DSLR. There are no 'bad' ones, but there are ones which cost more, and have some useful refinements.

Set a reasonable budget that avoids you spending more than really afford, and make a short list of cameras that sound good to you, then try them out if you can.

Good luck.

alpacas
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?

I think you would benefit from the adjustable screen on the D5100 or 600D. It will help to shoot more interesting angles, especially given the sport you want to capture.

Binary Hulled Ion
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?

What I did was handle each one in a store and see which one was most comfortable in my hands and made the most sense to me. It was a close run between the D5100 and the 600D in the end, but I wound up with the Canon. If you're shooting sports action, you're going to need to do as much as you can with your eye stuck in the viewfinder and not trying to find a button.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions expressed may not reflect any common sense, logic, or reason.

Binary Hulled Ion's gear list:Binary Hulled Ion's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,926
Like?

luke71933 wrote:

Hi,
    I just got interested in photography, I was looking for a dslr to shoot videos of parkour(sport google it) but now I want to start photography too. Which Dslr would you think is good for me , the D3100 is the cheapest one, i really like it but I don't know if it would be good for me to learn on and don't know if it is able to take professional photos for when I get better. Is it worth it to spend a little more and buy the D5100 or the D3200 or the canon 600D ?

The D3100 would be good to learn with as long as you do most of your shooting using the semi-Auto modes (Aperture priority and Shutter priority) or Manual modes. If you use the fully auto setting or scene modes you won't learn nearly as much or as quickly. DPR's D3100 review praised its image quality and autofocus system, and with its 14mp sensor it's a camera with higher resolution and better dynamic range than the DSLRs that many "pros" used not too many years ago. What the D3100 lacks are features that pros prefer, such as lots of buttons that allow them to keep shooting quickly without having to often slow down by going into menus to change settings.

What the pros have that you won't have (at least for a while, I'd guess) are the very expensive lenses and other gear that can help to get a higher "keeper" rate and post processing experience that can greatly improve the appearance of the images that you shoot.

123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,213Gear list
Like?

Check out the A57. There has been deals on for $399. $499 with kit lens. It's a steal, given it does many things that the other cameras do not.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,825Gear list
Like?

Do you have an idea at what distance you will be filming?

In case you're really close I doubt any dslr can keep up with AF.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
hirejn
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?

Understand the difference between professional and amateur: A pro can take great images with any camera. The difference is our work demands certain capabilities that entry-level DSLRs don't have. I won't go into the details, but I recommend every beginner starts with the cheapest entry-level DSLR. That way you can put more money into education and experience. When your images and skills demand it, certainly you can upgrade, but there's little point to starting out with more camera just because you think you might outgrow something. The desire to have more camera is part human nature and part a result of marketing from camera manufacturers, but it has about zero percent to do with need for beginners. You won't outgrow it on accident. You'll outgrow it only by learning and mastering fundamentals, which takes a purposeful effort and time and which can be done on an entry-level DSLR. Outgrow, and then upgrade.

-- hide signature --

Joel Nisleit Photography

A camera or lens can't take good or bad photos any more than a brush and canvas can paint themselves a masterpiece.

hirejn's gear list:hirejn's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +8 more
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,457Gear list
Like?

luke71933 wrote:

Hi,

To shoot videos of a sport, any sport, means you are going to have use a camera with quick AF. This means Nikon and Canon are not ideal.

I prefer Nikon and Canon for still images because of their huge lens selection, flashes, and uprgrade paths.  But they are slow to focus in video.

Professional almost all use Nikon and Canon again due to the lenses.  For video they use manual focus because it gives them better control.  But for a hobbyist I think manual focus in video is asking too much, particularly when it will be fast moving people jumping over stuff looking for their own special place on youtube fail-videos. 

The Sony SLT system is not quite as good.  But for your mix of video and still images it seems the right choice.  I suggest the mid-level a57 and the kit lens to get you started.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
KCook
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,382Gear list
Like?
In reply to luke71933, May 2, 2013

It is certainly possible to take pro quality shots with any of those.  But if you are assisting a pro he also may not be impressed by any of them.  If you want to get into the weeds of the differences between these models, here are some more threads -

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3226128

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3335164

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3357932

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,213Gear list
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, May 2, 2013

ps. lens choices. Plenty of lens choices for the A-mount. http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp Click search without filling anything in. Nearly 400 lenses right there.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
zakkix
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?
In reply to Bjorn_L, May 2, 2013

Bjorn_L wrote:

luke71933 wrote:

Hi,

To shoot videos of a sport, any sport, means you are going to have use a camera with quick AF. This means Nikon and Canon are not ideal.

I prefer Nikon and Canon for still images because of their huge lens selection, flashes, and uprgrade paths.  But they are slow to focus in video.

Professional almost all use Nikon and Canon again due to the lenses.  For video they use manual focus because it gives them better control.  But for a hobbyist I think manual focus in video is asking too much, particularly when it will be fast moving people jumping over stuff looking for their own special place on youtube fail-videos. 

The Sony SLT system is not quite as good.  But for your mix of video and still images it seems the right choice.  I suggest the mid-level a57 and the kit lens to get you started.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

+1

For parkour I would suggest Canon 600D (or Sony a57) over the Nikon 3100 simply because of the fully articulated screen (as opposed to tilt/shift for other cameras in this price range) for those trick video shots.

The Sony a57 is hinged at the bottom so it is not as accessible as the 600d fully reversed if you are using a tripod.

Image wise it really depends on the user. It helps starting out to have other users who have similar cameras and 600D is right up there.

Check out the parkour videos on youtube recorded on it.

The 600D is a good all round keeper to develop your skills on over the next couple of years and long term you really can't go wrong with Canon, especially if you decide to upgrade to a professional body down the road and keep the same lens.

grumpyolderman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085
Like?
In reply to luke71933, May 2, 2013

luke71933 wrote:

Hi,

Get a Panasonic G5 m43, it might cost a bit more than the D3100 (but should come down in price as G6 comes out), you will get nearly the same image quality plus very good and easy video thrown in (HD60p 28MBs, you can even do a bit of slow mo with that), The whole package is smaller, less intimidating, and you have the same controls, faster frame rates (6 fps) and at least an equally fast AF. You can upgrade to top notch lenses.

As for every system, the money is in the lenses, you will get better pics with a mediocre body and a very good lens than the other way round, bodies come and go, lenses keep their value a long time.

JL

zakkix
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?
In reply to luke71933, May 3, 2013

luke71933 wrote:

Hi,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5bXkRx2Jc0

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads