Comparison DP2m vs another camera... (just for fun)

Started May 1, 2013 | Photos
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Daedalus2000
Daedalus2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Comparison DP2m vs another camera... (just for fun)

Hi everyone,

Just for fun today I decided to take some picture of the dp2m vs one of my other cameras. I have to say I am very impressed with the image quality of the dp2m, so I wanted to see how it stands vs one of my other cameras. It was a bit windy and the light was changing, but I tried to do my best to get representative versions from the 2 cameras. So here are the two images... Which one is the Sigma image and how do you think it compares to the other camera (to be revealed later..)?

I did minimal post processing (small adjustment to clarity and sharpness, no effort to match colour. I used standard mode for the dp2m colour). Both images exported at 1200 wide side from LR, sharpened for screen.

This is just for fun, so no trolling etc please.

Image 1

Image 2

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fongg
fongg Regular Member • Posts: 291
Re: Comparison DP2m vs another camera... (just for fun)

I don't have a DP2M, but a DP3M.  My guess would be ... the 2nd photo was taken by DP2M?

fongg's gear list:fongg's gear list
Ricoh GR Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 Leica M9-P Canon EOS 7D
applemax Regular Member • Posts: 322
Re: Sigma is the lower one

Hi!

I think the lower one is from your DP2m. More detail, nicer bokeh, but less (colour) resolution in the reds.

Regards - max

webshark3 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,039

My guess is the 1st one is the Sigma.

ilsiu Regular Member • Posts: 406

I think the foreground tulip in Image 2 is sharper at a pixel level (higher micro contrast?).

I think the background color in Image 1 is greener and has smoother 'bluriness' (my guess is that Image 1 has a tighter DOF). I subjectively prefer the background in Image 1.

My guess is Image 2 is the DP2M and Image 1 is your other camera.

Daedalus2000
Daedalus2000 OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
A hint

I just realised I have no clue for how long to let it run before I give the answer... I will wait for a couple more hours and then I will reveal what is the other camera and which one is the sigma.

One hint though.... The other camera is a Leica...

Keep an eye, you will be surprised....

maple Veteran Member • Posts: 3,098

It's hard to tell by images of this size. But would guess the 2nd one from DP2M, by its desaturated shadows.

-- hide signature --

Maple

maceoQ Senior Member • Posts: 1,412
1. Leica, 2. Sigma :)

no text...

fongg
Re: A hint

I just realised I have no clue for how long to let it run before I give the answer... I will wait for a couple more hours and then I will reveal what is the other camera and which one is the sigma.

One hint though.... The other camera is a Leica...

Keep an eye, you will be surprised....

This confirmed my reading ... Oops, it will be ugly if it wasn't ... Lol ... Was the Leica a 35/1.4 non-ASPH? ... Doesn't look like a 50 to me ...

Daedalus2000
The answer

First of all I am very impressed by your ability to recognise the sigma image. Also, I have to say that it is quite interesting to me how different the colour is between the two cameras. It is something I need to study further. Any input on how to improve the colour from the sigma dp2m will be welcome.

So

Image 1. Leica S2 shot at ISO 160, f4,  1/125 speed (using the 70mm lens, equivalent 56mm at 35mm)

Image 2. Sigma DP2m shot at ISO 160, f2.8, 1/250 speed

I used a larger aperture on the sigma to reduce the difference on the dof.

I hope you now realise how good the dp2m is...

D

maceoQ Senior Member • Posts: 1,412
Re: The answer

Daedalus2000 wrote:

There is no doubt

But i must admit that the leica picture looks superior, nice soft background, nice colors.

Daedalus2000

maceoQ wrote:

Daedalus2000 wrote:

There is no doubt

But i must admit that the leica picture looks superior, nice soft background, nice colors.

Yes, but the S2+lens costs multiple times more... Also, the Leica S lenses are the best I have ever seen (I am not a professional though). Adjusted for price (and size/weight...) dp2m is a bargain.

I need to learn how to get the colour right from the dp2m though... I bought it to do B/W and I have to say I am extremely happy with it.

Best, D

jennyrae Senior Member • Posts: 2,690

soft look is Leica. hard look is Sigma.

fongg

First of all I am very impressed by your ability to recognise the sigma image. Also, I have to say that it is quite interesting to me how different the colour is between the two cameras. It is something I need to study further. Any input on how to improve the colour from the sigma dp2m will be welcome.

So

Image 1. Leica S2 shot at ISO 160, f4,  1/125 speed (using the 70mm lens, equivalent 56mm at 35mm)

D

Lol ... Sorry if my eyes downgraded your S2 lens ... Hee hee

Daedalus2000

fongg wrote:

So

D

I wanted this post to be about the dp2m, but if you are interested you can play this game

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51228496

BTW, I usually do not post about gear, but both cameras are great so you have to give credit where credit is due.

D

fongg

fongg wrote:

So

D

I wanted this post to be about the dp2m, but if you are interested you can play this game

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51228496

BTW, I usually do not post about gear, but both cameras are great so you have to give credit where credit is due.

D

Ha ha ha ... Sorry, I'm not a pixel peeker. I merely judged by the overall feel of the shots. Sure S2 is one hack of camera. No doubt about it.

Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,410
Apply an inverse S-curve to the Sigma photo

jennyrae wrote:

soft look is Leica. hard look is Sigma.

Apply an inverse S-curve to the Sigma photo. I find difference in contrast easily confuses me when I look at pair challenges.

joaquin100 Senior Member • Posts: 1,668

The Sigma is the second pic.

The shadows turn dark grey.

Johan Borg Senior Member • Posts: 2,314

Daedalus2000 wrote:

Interesting.. I initially thought #2 would be the Sigma given the desaturated shadows, but then went back and compared with similar photos I have taken with my own DP2M and they sure looked more like the Leica (!) so I think your results depend a lot on the light.

ChristianHass Senior Member • Posts: 2,287

The details of the in-focus flower are great in the Sigma shot, but the OOF areas look rather harsh and "busy".

-- hide signature --

Shooting for fun and memories.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/christianhass/

ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Ricoh GR Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Sony a6000 Sony E 20mm F2.8 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads