Stupid to learn Final Cut Express now?

Started May 1, 2013 | Discussions
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,679Gear list
Like?
Stupid to learn Final Cut Express now?
May 1, 2013

Meet a great teacher nearby but she dos not use X or Adobe Premier.

Seems kind of silly to learn an old program even though she swears  by it.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
LBlack
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: Stupid to learn Final Cut Express now?
In reply to DFPanno, May 1, 2013

In short, yes it is a waste of time to learn Express now. I used Premiere Elements(2, 3, and 4) and Final Cut Express but was tempted to buy Final Cut Pro X in 2011. It takes awhile to adapt but it is superior to both. I highly recommend FCP X if you need more features than iMovie.

The tutorials from Ripple Training really help me to quickly adapt to the differences with FCP X and are well worth the $50. More info here - http://www.rippletraining.com/categories/apple-pro-apps-tutorials/final-cut-pro-x-tutorials/apvs-fcpx.html

Here is my first film done with Final Cut Pro X. The tilted framing is from me messing up the camera alignment, btw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdzNWQvJjQs

-- hide signature --

Lorne Black
Victoria, BC

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DFPanno
Like?
Well done..........
In reply to LBlack, May 1, 2013

I'm a real sucker for bike/great music vids   .

I heard those were great teaching videos.

Where can I find that song; not on Amazon.

Thanks!

Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
williamio
Regular MemberPosts: 463
Like?
Re: Well done..........

DFPanno wrote:

I'm a real sucker for bike/great music vids   .

I heard those were great teaching videos.

Where can I find that song; not on Amazon.

Thanks!

I am still using FCP 7..... kinda upset by apple on this trim version.

DFPanno
Like?
Large body of opinion..............
In reply to williamio, May 1, 2013

......... that 7 remains superior to X.

I know 7 would more than meet my needs.

I am hestitant however to invest my time learning something that will quickly fade and be unsupported.

Just looking for other opinions.

Marco S Hyman
Contributing MemberPosts: 502
Like?
Re: Large body of opinion..............

It may fade and become unsupported... All software does, eventually.  But there have been 8 updates since released 2 years ago.  That rules out the "quickly" part of your comment in my opinion.

It's a tool, not a life style. If the tool works for you, fine.  If it doesn't then that's fine too.

LBlack
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
In reply to DFPanno, May 2, 2013

Thanks, David, glad you liked it.

The song is With This Ship by The Basics. I got it at iTunes but it is also available at Amazon. I couldn't send a short link but goto the Amazon MP3 Store and do a search for: the basics LIKE A BROTHER. I tried to send a tinyurl link but the forum doesn't allow them.

As to Final Cut Pro 7, the only people that have a legitimate reason to prefer it are those working in production houses. For a hobbyist that doesn't already own & use any version of Final Cut there is no reason to choose any version but FCP X. And it is less than half the cost of Adobe Premiere Pro.

-- hide signature --

Lorne Black
Victoria, BC

kevinparis
Contributing MemberPosts: 591
Like?

DFPanno wrote:

Meet a great teacher nearby but she dos not use X or Adobe Premier.

Seems kind of silly to learn an old program even though she swears  by it.

depends on what you are wanting to learn - if its general techniques and 'art' of editing then FCE is as good as anything.

K

-- hide signature --

if you really must see my photos then try
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/

DFPanno
Like?
In reply to LBlack, May 2, 2013

LBlack wrote:

Thanks, David, glad you liked it.

The song is With This Ship by The Basics. I got it at iTunes but it is also available at Amazon. I couldn't send a short link but goto the Amazon MP3 Store and do a search for: the basics LIKE A BROTHER. I tried to send a tinyurl link but the forum doesn't allow them.

As to Final Cut Pro 7, the only people that have a legitimate reason to prefer it are those working in production houses. For a hobbyist that doesn't already own & use any version of Final Cut there is no reason to choose any version but FCP X. And it is less than half the cost of Adobe Premiere Pro.

-- hide signature --

Lorne Black
Victoria, BC

OK; thanks.

She is a member of a production team.

DFPanno
Like?
I'm concerned that future cameras/codecs will not be supported.
In reply to Marco S Hyman, May 2, 2013

Valid concern?

vdubreeze
Senior MemberPosts: 1,160
Like?
Re: I'm concerned that future cameras/codecs will not be supported.

DFPanno wrote:

Valid concern?

The only reason to get involved with FCE now is if everything you need from it is there now and you can hang on to the computer that you'll be running it on, and it won't cost hardly anything to do so.   It definitely won't be getting any new support as it was officially discontinued when FCPX was released two years ago.  There are no updates or new cameras/codecs in its future.

New chipsets and new OS updates always leave some software unable to come aboard, sometimes it's trivial and can be worked around but every once in a while there will be the circumstance that does have the transitional period that's not a sharp cutting off (as with PPC to Intel processors), but eventually the non-supported software becomes the unable to run software.  I don't think cameras or codecs is a concern if it has what you need now, but you may not be able to run it on a new computer sooner rather than later.  This would not be directed at a person with many years worth of projects vested in it and is able to keep eking out value with their current equipment, but you would be painting yourself into a corner getting involved with it now, and the main reason I say this is because while it seems like a borderline worthwhile choice now it's already much less attractive a choice than a year ago and it will be even less so in a year, and a year comes pretty quickly  :  )    During the whole transition phase while FCPX was first released there were some good reasons for not jumping to it.  But now two years later there are less good reasons to begin with FCE, especially given that FCPX is practically the same investment that FCE was.

It might not be a bad idea if you're not committing to the format and won't cost much, if it's to learn basic editing skills that you can take with you.    Other than that every month it's a less good idea  : )

DFPanno
Like?
Thank you
In reply to vdubreeze, May 2, 2013

Nicely outlined; confirms my fears.

Unfortunate as the instructor was great.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts - Dave

seho
Contributing MemberPosts: 905
Like?
In reply to williamio, May 3, 2013

williamio wrote:

I am still using FCP 7..... kinda upset by apple on this trim version.

I finally sucked it up and got FCPX, and spent some time settling in to it.

I would not go back now (and the updates since initial release have improved it a lot).

David Garth
Regular MemberPosts: 318Gear list
Like?
In reply to DFPanno, May 4, 2013

Final Cut Express is the past and Final Cut Pro X is the present and the future. Learning Express now is going to involve a lot of wasted effort. Final Cut Pro X is much easier to learn and can do so much more and grow with you.

-- hide signature --

David Garth

David Garth's gear list:David Garth's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads