Affordable Video Lenses

Started May 1, 2013 | Discussions
tgelston
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
Affordable Video Lenses
May 1, 2013

I run a small photography blog and have lots of beginners to DSLRS that are shooting video.  I am struggling to find budget lenses I can recommend for those mostly shooting video, beyond the obvious choice of primes.

Anyone out there have budget (under $500-$600) lens recommendations that are well suited for video work - basically I like the idea of  constant aperture, FTM and IS.   The first lens I hit after primes is the 24-105 F/4 but wonder what else is out there that I am not thinking of.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 tgelston's gear list:tgelston's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,423Gear list
Like?
any STM lens is better for video
In reply to tgelston, May 1, 2013

#1 is Canon 18-135mm STM.  This lens is completely SILENT, and AF as fast as my 70-200 F4 IS

#2 Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM.. cheap $200 new, $120 used. But use micro-stepper-motor and some minor noise is detectable when focusing

#3 Canon 18-55 STM Kit lens.  This just came out with the newest Canon T5i and SL1 DSLR.  Haven't try it out yet, but it should be close to 40mm /2.8 in video.

The new 18-55 STM is much sharper than the current 18-55 IS, according to some Korean review site.  I'm waiting to get my hand on one.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Muresan Bogdan
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Re: Affordable Video Lenses
In reply to tgelston, May 1, 2013

If you want to shoot video on a budget the prime lenses are the only way. Keep in mind that no photo zoom lens is designed for video and has focus breathing most of them are also vari-focal ( focus changes when zooming). The 24-105 is parifocal but still doesn't take care of the focus breathing. Also cine lens have usually a very wide range like 18-200 or 28-300. Having a decent optical quality in a lens with this range costs a lot of money.

Your best bet is on the Samyang/Rokinon primes witch come with a very fluid focus and also have a video version of each lens that has fluid f stop also.

tgelston
Like?
Re: any STM lens is better for video
In reply to 007peter, May 1, 2013

007peter wrote:

I appreciate your response and I like all the lenses below for your family/vacation/easy video shoots but I don't like any of them when I am considering someone who hopes to get into serious videography, and the reason I don't - they are all difficult to manual focus with.  The fly by wire focus of all three STM lenses is laggy at times and not something that I have been particularly happy with, it is certainly good enough for most use, and they are all a great value but a step below professional.

Thanks!

#1 is Canon 18-135mm STM.  This lens is completely SILENT, and AF as fast as my 70-200 F4 IS

#2 Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM.. cheap $200 new, $120 used. But use micro-stepper-motor and some minor noise is detectable when focusing

#3 Canon 18-55 STM Kit lens.  This just came out with the newest Canon T5i and SL1 DSLR.  Haven't try it out yet, but it should be close to 40mm /2.8 in video.

The new 18-55 STM is much sharper than the current 18-55 IS, according to some Korean review site.  I'm waiting to get my hand on one.

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
tgelston
Like?
Re: Affordable Video Lenses
In reply to Muresan Bogdan, May 1, 2013

Ah The Rokinons! I forget they have anything other than fish eye lenses.     Thanks!

-- hide signature --
007peter
Like?
new 18-135 STM is fast and not laggy, but if serious, better off Panasonic
In reply to tgelston, May 2, 2013

Actaully your wrong about Canon 18-135mm STM.  The new STM is awesomely quick in AF.  Take a look at this comparison between 18-135 vs 18-135 STM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm8C76c-jtA

The focus is not only silent, but quick.

Anyhow, if you are as SERIOUS of a Videographer, what are you doing here in Canon forum.  I would highly suggest you take a closer look at Panasonic GH2 and GH3

I had a Panasonic GF2 for shooting video, even its 14-42mm kit lens is completely silent and continuous AF is ultra fast.  Whats more, I can Focus Pull with simple press of GF2 lcd screen.

One of the problem with Manual Focusing while shooting video is that your tweaking motion distrub the stable shots, resulting in a video with obvious sudden judder here and there.  I find it smoother to just rely on Panasonic touch AF.  A light touch doesn't negatively affect my shot.

Most Panasonic lens are HD (video optimized), most are quiet in operation.  Go to m43 forum and poke around.

007peter
Like?
some panasonic g2 touch focus
In reply to 007peter, May 2, 2013
Keyboard shortcuts: