What's this little bird?

Started May 1, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee Veteran Member • Posts: 6,060
What's this little bird?

Was in my garden today. Couldn't get near him so these are 100% crops with 1D4 and 400 f5.6.

Have certainly never seen one before..

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +25 more
Canon EOS-1D Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jvkelley Contributing Member • Posts: 849
Re: What's this little bird?

As someone who doesn't live in Europe, and doesn't know much about birds, my expert opinion is "European Goldfinch"

-- hide signature --

J.V.

jvkelley's gear list:jvkelley's gear list
Canon PowerShot S50 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +3 more
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,060

Looked it up. You're bang on! Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +25 more
AnthonyL Senior Member • Posts: 2,084

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

Put a feeder out with niger seed:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KBmeIIon9FvI9_-9h-rMjgpyjrEFJGhQF0EN-gUEWhQ?feat=directlink

(Can't get an upload my galleries working today)

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Peter too Contributing Member • Posts: 906

The goldfinch was on the danger list but the population has been growing in the UK and Ireland since 1985, partly due to new bird table seed mixes increasing winter survival rates. Some goldfinches like niger seeds and some like hearts of sunflower seeds. They will also eat seeds of teasels and thistles and are often seen on teasel and thistle heads in the wild. They can sometimes be seen in flocks of a dozen or more (a charm of goldfinches) and are recognisable by their high pitched chattering.

I recently put out a feeder, believe it or not!

-- hide signature --

Peter too wrote:

The goldfinch was on the danger list but the population has been growing in the UK and Ireland since 1985, partly due to new bird table seed mixes increasing winter survival rates. Some goldfinches like niger seeds and some like hearts of sunflower seeds. They will also eat seeds of teasels and thistles and are often seen on teasel and thistle heads in the wild. They can sometimes be seen in flocks of a dozen or more (a charm of goldfinches) and are recognisable by their high pitched chattering.

A charm of goldfinches?

The collective nouns for animals etc., in English are just gas! A pod of whales, an ignorance of politicians, a gaggle of geese, a parasite of lawyers, an exposure of photographers, a bokeh of L-glassers, a resolution of measurebators..

any more suggestions?

-- hide signature --

AnthonyL Senior Member • Posts: 2,084

AnthonyL wrote:

Put a feeder out with niger seed:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KBmeIIon9FvI9_-9h-rMjgpyjrEFJGhQF0EN-gUEWhQ?feat=directlink

(Can't get an upload my galleries working today)

(or I could just use the "insert image from web" function" doh.)

Charm of Goldfinch - very apt.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 34,974

Goldfinch as common as sparrows in the uk.    

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
4agze New Member • Posts: 10

I constantly get Goldfinch perch on my tree than sparrows this is without feeders

4agze's gear list:4agze's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +2 more
ASR45

4agze wrote:

I constantly get Goldfinch perch on my tree than sparrows this is without feeders

Me to so common here.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
phill104 Senior Member • Posts: 2,700

One of the little critters from walking around last year. Big crop though, I didn't get close enough.

ASR45

Juvenile Goldfinch.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Mark Twain

jayrandomer
jayrandomer Contributing Member • Posts: 731
And here is their American cousin

American Goldfinch

Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,638

ASR45 wrote:

Juvenile Goldfinch.

That's not a goldfinch. Greenfinch I believe.

RS_RS Senior Member • Posts: 1,725

Peter too wrote:

A charm of goldfinches?

The collective nouns for animals etc., in English are just gas! A pod of whales, an ignorance of politicians, a gaggle of geese, a parasite of lawyers, an exposure of photographers, a bokeh of L-glassers, a resolution of measurebators..

any more suggestions?

-- hide signature --

In the Further Education sector, a lakh of Principals (the lakh is an ancient Indian unit of measurement, I believe).

Another natural history example is a murmuration of starlings, specifically used to describe the large aerial flocks of starlings that can be seen wheeling in unison in the winter months. A covey of partridges. A wisp of snipe.

Peter too Contributing Member • Posts: 906

I could be a female Siskin.

Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,638

Peter too wrote:

I could be a female Siskin.

No, the bill is completely wrong.

Sabud Regular Member • Posts: 442

It´s a Steglits (swedish) Latin = Carduelis carduelis

Normally not a winter bird in Sweden but it can happend in the very south.

GordonAtWork
GordonAtWork Regular Member • Posts: 475

ASR45 wrote:

Goldfinch as common as sparrows in the uk.    

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Mark Twain

Sadly true since sparrows have been in decline. Hedge Sparrows due to farmers combining smaller fields into large ones and cutting the hedges down and the House Sparrow largely due to upvc guttering and facia/soffit combinations sealing the roof spaces where they nested.

-- hide signature --

Moderator wannabe !

GordonAtWork's gear list:GordonAtWork's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads