SL1 or T4i

Started May 1, 2013 | Discussions
Displaynamehere
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?
SL1 or T4i
May 1, 2013

Getting ready for my next Rebel purchase. I thought it was an easy decision - T4i with 18-135.

Today, however, the SL1 body only is the same price as the T4i with 18-55.

The SL1 with 18-55 STM is the same price as the T4i with 18-135.

So, for the same price, I would be losing the 18-135 (which is well reviewed) and the articulating screen if I choose the SL1.

You think the slightly smaller size of the SL1 is worth losing those two things? Small is good, but not the most important thing in the world to me.

Displaynamehere's gear list:Displaynamehere's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,598Gear list
Like?
T4i
In reply to Displaynamehere, May 1, 2013

Displaynamehere wrote:

Getting ready for my next Rebel purchase. I thought it was an easy decision - T4i with 18-135.

So, for the same price, I would be losing the 18-135 (which is well reviewed) and the articulating screen if I choose the SL1.

You think the slightly smaller size of the SL1 is worth losing those two things? Small is good, but not the most important thing in the world to me.

SL1 has same or lower performance than the T4i in most areas.

The only feature where the SL1 may (or may not) have an improvement over the T4i is the Live View/Video AF.  The T4i has 1st generation Hybrid CMOS AF, the SL1 touts Hybrid CMOS AF II.  I haven't seen a review that compares the performance of gen I v gen II.

Buying a new camera today, I would not be an "early adopter" and would stick with the T4i + 18-135 STM over the SL1 + 18-55 STM.  If I don't need it today, I'd wait and see how much of an improvement (if any) there is in the Hybrid CMOS AF II.  Plus, if you wait, the price of the SL1 will come down a bit.

IMHO, YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Displaynamehere
Like?
Re: T4i
In reply to Lemming51, May 1, 2013

Lemming51 wrote:

SL1 has same or lower performance than the T4i in most areas.

The only feature where the SL1 may (or may not) have an improvement over the T4i is the Live View/Video AF.  The T4i has 1st generation Hybrid CMOS AF, the SL1 touts Hybrid CMOS AF II.  I haven't seen a review that compares the performance of gen I v gen II.

Buying a new camera today, I would not be an "early adopter" and would stick with the T4i + 18-135 STM over the SL1 + 18-55 STM.  If I don't need it today, I'd wait and see how much of an improvement (if any) there is in the Hybrid CMOS AF II.  Plus, if you wait, the price of the SL1 will come down a bit.

IMHO, YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

I think you are right. Thanks

botw
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
In reply to Displaynamehere, May 6, 2013

SL1s only big advantage is size.  If you think the marginally smaller and lighter camera would be better, go for it.  Otherwise, the t4i is superior in just about every category (though it may be marginally worse in continuous AF during movies).

botw's gear list:botw's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
karl mohr
Contributing MemberPosts: 989Gear list
Like?
In reply to botw, May 7, 2013

I'd get the T4i/18-135 combo any day

karl mohr's gear list:karl mohr's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Displaynamehere
Like?
In reply to karl mohr, May 7, 2013

karl mohr wrote:

That's what I got. I'm happy!

Thanks

Silverwind
Senior MemberPosts: 1,299
Like?
In reply to karl mohr, May 7, 2013

karl mohr wrote:

I love this combo!  Traded my T3i for it and have not regretted it since.

needmoretoys
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
In reply to Displaynamehere, May 8, 2013

I have been debating either the 60D body or the T4i with 18-135 STM to replace my old 10D. I would definitely choose the T4i with 18-135 over the SL1 with 18-55, but not at the price that Amazon has it right now. Both BB and Amazon had it for $799 until a few days ago and then Amazon raised it to $999. BB pulled all of theirs off sale, both at stores and the web site. It was because of a law suit according to the sales person at BB. Since Amazon prices go up and down frequently, I would wait until it goes back down to $799 and grab it as soon as it does.

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,643Gear list
Like?
In reply to needmoretoys, May 8, 2013

A law suit?  I'm not sure I would trust a BB employee with information such as that.

Looks like the T4i is back to its manufacture's suggested selling price.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
needmoretoys
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, May 8, 2013

Olga Johnson wrote:

A law suit?  I'm not sure I would trust a BB employee with information such as that.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Didn't Canon recall the early T4i cameras because of the rubber grip turning white? The story was that a BB store sold someone one of the recalled cameras after the recall and the user had an allergic reaction and sued BB over it. All of a sudden last week BB stopped selling them on the web site and the one that the BB store had in stock was returned to the warehouse. BB recalled all T4i, not just the serial numbers that were part of the Canon recall.

I just did a search and found this:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2012/Canon-Recalls-for-Repair-EOS-Rebel-T4i-Digital-Cameras-Due-to-Risk-of-Allergic-Reaction/

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,643Gear list
Like?

needmoretoys wrote:

Olga Johnson wrote:

-- hide signature --

Olga

Didn't Canon recall the early T4i cameras because of the rubber grip turning white? The story was that a BB store sold someone one of the recalled cameras after the recall and the user had an allergic reaction and sued BB over it. All of a sudden last week BB stopped selling them on the web site and the one that the BB store had in stock was returned to the warehouse. BB recalled all T4i, not just the serial numbers that were part of the Canon recall.

I just did a search and found this:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2012/Canon-Recalls-for-Repair-EOS-Rebel-T4i-Digital-Cameras-Due-to-Risk-of-Allergic-Reaction/

The recall was a year ago.  Newer cameras were not affected.  Canon had provided Serial Numbers of the affected cameras.  I bought a T4i around Christmas which was not affected.

The T4i is being discontinued.  Every vendor handles discontinued cameras differently. You will also find that when a camera is discontinued, any available units for sale are priced higher, sometimes higher than their list price when first introduced.

-- hide signature --

--

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
needmoretoys
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, May 8, 2013

I believe that the recall was June 2012. It is reasonable that a BB store didn't pull the recalled units and sold one a couple of months later and that a lawsuit was filed just recently. I read a review where someone said that a vendor sent them a recalled unit in February, so Canon issuing the recall doesn't mean that all vendors or big box stores actually sent them back. I think that the BB story is reasonable.

Also, are you sure that the T4i is discontinued? The T3i is still being sold at many places, like Amazon, Sam's Club, Walmart. These are new cameras, not used. Amazon also raised the price of the T3i, 60D and 7D a couple of days ago, so I don't think that the T4i price increase has anything to do with the T4i being discontinued.

TeeForeEye
Contributing MemberPosts: 714
Like?

needmoretoys wrote:

I believe that the recall was June 2012. It is reasonable that a BB store didn't pull the recalled units and sold one a couple of months later and that a lawsuit was filed just recently. I read a review where someone said that a vendor sent them a recalled unit in February, so Canon issuing the recall doesn't mean that all vendors or big box stores actually sent them back. I think that the BB story is reasonable.

Also, are you sure that the T4i is discontinued? The T3i is still being sold at many places, like Amazon, Sam's Club, Walmart. These are new cameras, not used. Amazon also raised the price of the T3i, 60D and 7D a couple of days ago, so I don't think that the T4i price increase has anything to do with the T4i being discontinued.

They probably increased the price of the T4i because no one in their right mind would have chosen the more expensive T5i over it since it adds nothing other than the number 5 instead of a 4. By increasing the price of the T4i, Canon now has some hope to sell some T5i cameras.

Alex Nob
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: SL1 or T4i
In reply to Displaynamehere, May 18, 2013

Displaynamehere wrote:

I personally preferr Rebel T4i due to obvious enhancement in photo quality (you know, moving from 1 to 9 cross type AF points and a new added contrast detection sensor). In addition, focus is really fast and true as well, doesnt waste as much time seeking as before. However, i'm really not fond of the button systems; looks like something cheap and fragile. You can check one here: http://topcamera.org/canon-eos-rebel-t4i-18-0-mp-cmos-digital-camera-with-3-inch-touchscreen-and-full-hd-movie-mode-body-only/

DSHAPK
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alex Nob, May 19, 2013

There are no issues with the button system on the t4i. It is neither cheap nor fragile. As I own the t4i I disagree with that assessment. To each ther own I guess.

DSHAPK's gear list:DSHAPK's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
Peter Berglund
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?
In reply to DSHAPK, May 19, 2013

I'm facing the same choice. For me the smaller size and potentially faster AF in live view is probably worth some extra cost etc but I'm not sure how much extra cost. I have decided to wait a few months. I want to see a) how the price for SL1 changes, b) how the performance of the AF/sensor turns out to be as well as general build quality, c) what else comes out from Canon such as mirror less bodies and lenses. It may be an interesting summer and I can wait a little bit before investing.
--
Peter

Peter Berglund's gear list:Peter Berglund's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS
dbledsoe
Contributing MemberPosts: 769
Like?
In reply to Displaynamehere, May 19, 2013

Seems to me you have answered your own question.  Be that as it may, I am going with the SL1 (on order).

Displaynamehere wrote:

-- hide signature --

'The trouble with normal is it always gets worse.'
Bruce Cockburn

Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
In reply to botw, May 19, 2013

botw wrote:

SL1s only big advantage is size.  If you think the marginally smaller and lighter camera would be better, go for it.  Otherwise, the t4i is superior in just about every category (though it may be marginally worse in continuous AF during movies).

Marginally smaller is a bit of a misnomer, it has three areas where it counts where it's actually as small as a micro four thirds camera. Height, width and weight. It weighs marginally less than a small micro four thirds camera, the Olympus OM-D, it is narrower across, and its shorter. With the repositioned shutter it fits a lot better in the hand than the T4i, I have held both of them.

A family member owns a T4i and the SL1 is positively a lot smaller, particularly where it counts. The breadth of the camera isn't so much a talking point. The repositioning of the shutter button alone makes it about 1000% more comfortable than a T4i.

It has a newer sensor than the T4i, we have yet to see any real tests coming out, particularly from this website, on a production model SL1. I'll wait until that happens before raising comment about actual image quality, but on weight and size, there requires a bit of a correction.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads