Anyone using this RX1 grip? Really Right Stuff

Started May 1, 2013 | Discussions
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,923Gear list
Like?
Anyone using this RX1 grip? Really Right Stuff
May 1, 2013

Anyone using this RX1  grip?   Really Right Stuff

What do you think of it ... worth it?       How long have you been shooting with it, and what are you shooting?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BRX1-Set&type=3&eq=&desc=BRX1-Set%3a-Base-%2b-L-Plate-%2b-Grip

Saw this on the  RX1  Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonyrx1shooters/

HG

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/
Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

 Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
becasabot
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
Re: Anyone using this RX1 grip? Really Right Stuff
In reply to Hawaii-geek, May 1, 2013

Search the forum, there is a long thread about it already.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
Re: Anyone using this RX1 grip? Really Right Stuff
In reply to Hawaii-geek, May 1, 2013

Hawaii-geek wrote:

Anyone using this RX1  grip?   Really Right Stuff

Hi there HG,
This is Jonas B and we have "met" earlier in the Olympus, perhaps the micro 4/3 forum, discussing a couple of different things. I'm no longer that active here at DPR but happened to see your question about the grip when looking for other information.
I use the RRS grip. Now the camera is new to me (2 weeks) but the grip is not. ?? The last year I have been using the Olympus E-M5 and that camera is the same with regards to size and unusable original design for me so I have used a similar grip with the E-M5 all the time.
I shoot a little in the streets, whatever I find remotely interesting, some portraits, city-scapes and some landscapes, people, abandoned places, whatever but no parties or models. I often use tripod. I think this is different from your use but anyway:
The grip is essential to me. I wish John Milich made an RX1 grip as I like his design better than the RRS but they are very close to each other. The grip makes it possible to quickly get the camera out of the bag and to hold it securely - without a grip the camera needs a strap and that's not for me.
I bought the full set including the L-plate from RRS. It works well, the integrated Arca-Swiss plates adds a lot of value for me, the left side cover over the connectors can be opened and used without removing the grip or the L section and it is the same with the battery door.
RRS should have a look at the Milich grip and learn how to make the metal possible to hold without slipping. I had to attache some anti slip tape on the grip handle and now it works as expected (which means very very well and the grip won't come off the camera).
The grip adds to the size of the camera but that is not a problem at all for my hands. You have probably already checked the images at RRS here.

The price, well, it isn't cheap but you nearly get what you pay for; the grip fits perfectly to the camera bottom plate and it is, unlike some SLR grips, rock steady.

kind regards,
Jonas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone using this RX1 grip? Really Right Stuff
In reply to Hawaii-geek, May 1, 2013

In addition the RRS grip, you should check out the 3S-KangRinpoche grip, which I have and find to be very attractive, light, and functional. I posted pics and impressions on this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51297256

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
racefan49
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Re: Anyone using this RX1 grip? Really Right Stuff
In reply to Jonas B, May 2, 2013

Jonas B wrote:

RRS should have a look at the Milich grip and learn how to make the metal possible to hold without slipping. I had to attache some anti slip tape on the grip handle and now it works as expected (which means very very well and the grip won't come off the camera).

Curious about where you placed the tape...  On the "inside" of the grip where your fingertips rest, or on the "front face" rounded part of the grip.  I'm happy with the feel of mine, but like to see ideas from others for improvement.  Photo?

-- hide signature --

Ron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
Re: Anyone using this RX1 grip? Really Right Stuff
In reply to racefan49, May 2, 2013

racefan49 wrote:

Jonas B wrote:

RRS should have a look at the Milich grip and learn how to make the metal possible to hold without slipping. I had to attache some anti slip tape on the grip handle and now it works as expected (which means very very well and the grip won't come off the camera).

Curious about where you placed the tape...  On the "inside" of the grip where your fingertips rest, or on the "front face" rounded part of the grip.  I'm happy with the feel of mine, but like to see ideas from others for improvement.  Photo?

Hi Ron,

No problem, I took three quick images showing the camera as it is today.

I placed the tape at the inside, the outside and at the front:

The whole contraption from the front:

I know this tape, or tape at all, not is to everyone's taste. I'm not looking for stylish but for function. I have found the grip mainly rests at the fingertips placed at the inside, at the long finger placed at grip part of grip and at the inside of the palm (the outside of the grip). So I taped it where needed.

Compared to the less costly grip tesilab uses I prefer the RRS one mainly for the L part and the integrated Arca-Swiss plates. Like the Milich constructions this RRS grip bottom is plane and the camera rests comfortably on it, that's  a minor but still a plus. Finally the grip is as high as the camera so reaching for the shutter button comes naturally and comfortably.

regards,

Jonas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone using this RX1 grip? Really Right Stuff
In reply to Jonas B, May 2, 2013

First time I've seen it on the RX1. It looks better than I thought it would.

I have two questions:

#1 I'd like to get an idea of where the fingers go? How do you reach the shutter while holding that grip? Which finger is supposed to fit in that groove?

#2 What is that on your lens?

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
racefan49
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Re: Anyone using this RX1 grip? Really Right Stuff
In reply to Jonas B, May 2, 2013

Jonas B wrote:  Hi Ron,

No problem, I took three quick images showing the camera as it is today.

I placed the tape at the inside, the outside and at the front:

Thanks for the photos Jonas!

-- hide signature --

Ron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
Re: Anyone using this RX1 grip? Really Right Stuff
In reply to tesilab, May 2, 2013

tesilab wrote:

First time I've seen it on the RX1. It looks better than I thought it would.

I have two questions:

#1 I'd like to get an idea of where the fingers go? How do you reach the shutter while holding that grip? Which finger is supposed to fit in that groove?

Hi tesilab,

If you check my first reply to HG (who we lost?) there is a link to the RRS site where you can have a look at several images of the camera and the grip.

The little finger and the ring finger under the groove, the middle finger (which I wrongly called "long finger" which is what we call it in Swedish, not in English) in the groove and the index finger conveniently resting on the shutter button. The thumb rests at the thumb grip of course, controlling the exposure compensation wheel and the buttons if needed.

#2 What is that on your lens?

I use an empty 49mm filter ring plus a 49 -> 37mm step down ring together as a lens hood. It gives some protection to the front element and works a bit so-so as a hood. One day I'll check if I can have a second empty 49mm filter ring in there for improved function. I like to have a short and effective hood if possible.

The arrangement allows me to get the camera quickly in and out of the bag where the camera stands on the L-part of the grip with the lens pointing out from my body carrying it around in satchel type bag.

I hope that helps,

Jonas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
Re: Anyone using this RX1 grip? Really Right Stuff
In reply to racefan49, May 2, 2013

racefan49 wrote:

Jonas B wrote:  Hi Ron,

No problem, I took three quick images showing the camera as it is today.

I placed the tape at the inside, the outside and at the front:

Thanks for the photos Jonas!

No problem.

The anti slip tape may look very rough, and just feeling at it with a finger is like touching sandpaper. In real use you don't feel it that way but more like s support letting you hold the camera firmly without tension.

/Jonas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Blue Orca
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone using this RX1 grip? Really Right Stuff
In reply to Hawaii-geek, May 3, 2013

I got the complete package (i.e. base + L-plate + grip) from RSS about a week ago and I absolutely love it.

Initially I was not sure I would leave the L-plate on at all times.  However, when handling the camera, I like my left hand can now hold onto the L-plate rather than the lens to stabilize the shot, so it is on the camera for good.

The whole package does add a bit of weight to the camera, but I really like how the grip feels in my hand.  It gives the camera a very solid and confident feel when I take it out of the bag to shoot.

I also picked up a Markins Q-Ball Q3 Traveller for use with the RSS plate on my Gitzo GT1542T tripod.  Now switching between portrait and landscape is a breeze.

Blue

 Blue Orca's gear list:Blue Orca's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7S Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,923Gear list
Like?
Aloha Jonas B, :)
In reply to Jonas B, May 3, 2013

Jonas B wrote:

Hawaii-geek wrote:

Anyone using this RX1  grip?   Really Right Stuff

Hi there HG,
This is Jonas B and we have "met" earlier in the Olympus, perhaps the micro 4/3 forum, discussing a couple of different things. I'm no longer that active here at DPR but happened to see your question about the grip when looking for other information.

Aloha Jonas B,

Of course I remember you.   Glad to see you here.  and it looks like you got the Full set up.

GREAT INFO , on the GRIP !     and pics , I see

will have to post a pic of my RX1 strap set up to "Clip ON" to my BackRapid Double straps.   I am sooo proud of how I have my three cameras config'd   on the double straps for sports.  LOL

Hope you start posting again here.       I  am on here because the RX1 is new to me , as is the a99. Still shoot D800 for most paid  stuffl.  But I am trying to mix in the two cameras more an more.  Just because it's FUN !

Loved the looks some of the other photogs had when I shot a TEE off with the RX1 right next to the Golf Channel cameras. LOL   ... they are going to remember it , when it gets published in next years  LOTTE Event Magazine.

Just got the EVF ,  and Love It !  the MF (DMF) zoom with peaking  is amazing.  imho clearly better vs the LCD.  and during the day - no brainier   Kills my need for my HoodMan.   It's my new party trick to a couple of my D800 PRO shooter friends.   Just did it tonight.  They was amazed. and of course it was night as well.

Also just got the  RX1 Hood (yes, the crazy expensive one, It just looks COOL)  , And the Heliopan Rubber one. Really useful, but strange looking.

I mean really,  If  you bought the RX1  ...  at least part of it is   ... you better at least look cool carrying it around.  

Even though most do not know how Good or Expensive it is.  YOU do.

I use the RRS grip. Now the camera is new to me (2 weeks) but the grip is not. ?? The last year I have been using the Olympus E-M5 and that camera is the same with regards to size and unusable original design for me so I have used a similar grip with the E-M5 all the time.
I shoot a little in the streets, whatever I find remotely interesting, some portraits, city-scapes and some landscapes, people, abandoned places, whatever but no parties or models. I often use tripod. I think this is different from your use but anyway:
The grip is essential to me. I wish John Milich made an RX1 grip as I like his design better than the RRS but they are very close to each other. The grip makes it possible to quickly get the camera out of the bag and to hold it securely - without a grip the camera needs a strap and that's not for me.
I bought the full set including the L-plate from RRS. It works well, the integrated Arca-Swiss plates adds a lot of value for me, the left side cover over the connectors can be opened and used without removing the grip or the L section and it is the same with the battery door.
RRS should have a look at the Milich grip and learn how to make the metal possible to hold without slipping. I had to attache some anti slip tape on the grip handle and now it works as expected (which means very very well and the grip won't come off the camera).
The grip adds to the size of the camera but that is not a problem at all for my hands. You have probably already checked the images at RRS here.

The price, well, it isn't cheap but you nearly get what you pay for; the grip fits perfectly to the camera bottom plate and it is, unlike some SLR grips, rock steady.

kind regards,
Jonas

Jonas,   you have the BEST  explanation and pic description of this Grip.  Thank you !

There seems to be a building case for the  full L section  Arca-Swiss plates.  (in addition to the Grip)

HG

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/
Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

 Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,923Gear list
Like?
tesilab, 3S-KangRinpoche RX1 Grip
In reply to tesilab, May 3, 2013

tesilab wrote:

In addition the RRS grip, you should check out the 3S-KangRinpoche grip, which I have and find to be very attractive, light, and functional. I posted pics and impressions on this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51297256

tesilab,

Thank you for that link and post

HG

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/
Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

 Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,923Gear list
Like?
Blue, a case for the L-plate and Grip
In reply to Blue Orca, May 3, 2013

Blue Orca wrote:

I got the complete package (i.e. base + L-plate + grip) from RSS about a week ago and I absolutely love it.

Initially I was not sure I would leave the L-plate on at all times.  However, when handling the camera, I like my left hand can now hold onto the L-plate rather than the lens to stabilize the shot, so it is on the camera for good.

The whole package does add a bit of weight to the camera, but I really like how the grip feels in my hand.  It gives the camera a very solid and confident feel when I take it out of the bag to shoot.

I also picked up a Markins Q-Ball Q3 Traveller for use with the RSS plate on my Gitzo GT1542T tripod.  Now switching between portrait and landscape is a breeze.

Blue

Blue,

Thank you for your input and comment on the L-plate  Arca .

Many with the RSS  seem to all see the Value in the L Plate set up.

HG

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/
Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

 Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads