G5 or XS-1

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
chrisnorris
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
G5 or XS-1
11 months ago

I currently use a Nikon D7000 and an X10 as a walk around cam.  Looking to get a 3rd cam which is lighter weight when it comes to zooms and need it to be convenient for menus etc hence liking the EVF.  Looking at both the Fuji XS-1 and Panasonic G5 as both are coming down in price.  I realise the G5 body is slightly smaller, and its sensor is bigger and that the XS-1 has a good reach zoom which I would need to match with a pana 100-300.  On paper the G5 would seem to give better IQ, but I know from my X-10 that the fujis seem to punch above their weight.  Just wondered if anyone had experience of these two cameras side-by-side as it were.

chrisnorris's gear list:chrisnorris's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,312Gear list
Like?
Re: G5 or XS-1
In reply to chrisnorris, 11 months ago

It is not only on paper, the differencein IQ is very real. the panasonic G5 is about 1,5 to 2 stops better rhoughout the range.

Things troubling Fuji is not good enough stablisation (from user reports and reviews) on the long end of the zoom also. The 100-300 on my GH2 i does not have that problem, its stablisation is excellent. I have also noted that it has trouble focussing in lower light where the Pany FZ200, another bridge cam, has not. G5 has no problems at all with low light focussing.

Also the G5 body in fact is quite a bit smaller than the Fuji body. Go to camerasiize.com for a comparison. You can mount a 20 mm 1.7 pancake on it or the 45 mm Oly f1.8 and you have a much smaller,  lighter cam that gives you far superior IQ.it is imppossible to have with any bridge cam.

To me, the Fuji XS-1 is way too big and heavy to be considered an alternative to any larger sensored cams. Now the panasonic FZ-200, while having a bit worse IQ based on the  sensor it also has a fantastic Leica lens, seems a much better idea here.

Anyway: I have no experience with either cam (well I do have a very similar Gh2) but if I look at what you have I'd say the FZ200 might be worth investigating or get a G5.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
grumpyolderman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085
Like?

I had the fujis100fs, and I would guess its IQ was no less than the XS1, but of course it was slower, worse everything (but now worse IQ, based on what you see on the fuji forum).

In anything but base iso the G5 (which I have now) blows the bridges out of the water, ISO 400 on the fujis is about the same quality as ISO 1600 on the m43. Size is very much the same (G5 with 100-300mm), but of course does not cover the whole focal length range of the fuji. The pics of the m43 are usually better even in sunlight, but the difference is small. Of course you can get something like the fantastic 20mm f1.7, and you can not take comparable pics with the Fuji

JL

Grimm
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?

Also note the G5 has the Ext Tele Zoom option.  It goes to 1.4X and 2X.  So if you get the 100-300mm lens, you can get an equivalent 1200mm.  I don't remember what the size specification is, but for the 1.4X you have to set it to a Medium size picture, and for 2X you have to go to the Small size.  IIRC, it doesn't crop the middle of the picture like a standard digital zoom, so the picture quality is much better.  I've tried it a couple times on my G5 with the 45-150mm lens.  Granted I'm not a pro, but I see little difference in quality between the standard zoom and using the ETZ, other than the picture size.

Grimm's gear list:Grimm's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
Einst Stein
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?

I was considering Nex6, but was dissapointed at the color rendering after thr trial at the camera store. I went home and scan throu youyube, flickr, pbase, and photo.net for many many cameras, including nex6, nex7 (for others work, to see how much problem is user's fault), g5, g5, fz200, fujifilm x-series mirrorless and its p&s, canon t4i and its super zoom p&s., as well as Leica X1 X2.

after a vase comprison, under my personal taste, this is my impression

1. Sony p&s tend to have very strong exaggerated coloring and overdone in sharpening, etc. It's like thevfood with a lot of salt, pepper, and msg.

2. Sony nex, due to the same philosophy in its p&s, should only be used with raw. However, even with raw, the color is still net pleasing. I felt its mid tone is not rich, and the highlight abd shade look very harsh. It has the look of misprinted ilfochrome. Its when printing the slide (ver high dynamic range) on ilfochrome with out proper silver masking.

3. I dint find intereting quality stuffs from fujifilm. Pictures and mivies from internet are so so, nothing can show the strength over any p&s like fz200.

4. Among all the p&s, Fz200 is the most impressive. I found more favorable stuffs even compared to lx7, although many owners claim lx7 is a much better camera.

5. g3 and g5 look the same to me. It's much more film-like than nex in tems of coloring, contrast, etc.

6. T4i is similar to g3/g5, but even better. yes, the movie is not as smooth as g or nex, but its not a problem at all except for fast sports. Alas, it xannot take leica m mount lens.

I ordered and received g5 kit p,us, some extra stuffs. It's not my leica m9 companion, for movie and super tele. I put my leica r, contax, and hasselblad stuffs on it.

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,665Gear list
Like?
I can dispel some misconceptions on the X-S1...

at least my copy of it anyway. Firstly the comment that the G5 at ISO 1600 is like the X-S1 at ISO 400 is rubbish. If you shoot the X-S1 in EXR mode, like the X10, it is very clean and ISO 3200 is very usable. Even at the higher resolution I would not say the G5 is two stops better, more like 1 to my eyes (I've owned a G5 as well).
The X-S1 has a very versatile range from 24mm to 624mm, don't underestimate this and also how good the lens is. I'd take it over the Panasonic 100-300mm at the long end (I used to have the Panasonic 100-300mm, mine wasn't all that).
The X-S1 has a lot of tricks up it's sleeve making it a great one size fits all camera. The EVF is excellent as is the LCD. I have also found the image stabilisation to be superb, handholding at the long end at very low speeds is no problem. Unfortunately there were some QC issues with the early X-S1's but the newer production runs are fine. This has resulted in some unfortunate and misguided opinions such as seen in this thread, mainly by those that haven't used or owned the camera. I've been very impressed with mine and the dynamic range in EXR mode will outdo the OMD I had, it's hard to blow highlights if you set it up properly, and no I'm not joking.
The main drawback with the X-S1 is it's size, it's like a DSLR and handles like one. Not a problem to me but for some microphiles it's too much to bear. Personally I think Fuji did a great job with this camera, shame the early production runs had issues but then that is typical Fuji.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
grumpyolderman
Like?
Re: I can dispel some misconceptions on the X-S1...
In reply to papillon_65, 11 months ago

papillon_65 wrote:

at least my copy of it anyway. Firstly the comment that the G5 at ISO 1600 is like the X-S1 at ISO 400 is rubbish. If you shoot the X-S1 in EXR mode, like the X10, it is very clean and ISO 3200 is very usable. Even at the higher resolution I would not say the G5 is two stops better, more like 1 to my eyes (I've owned a G5 as well).

I stand gladly corrected, as you said I did not own the X-S1, but I also think many owners did not get to grips with the right set-up of the EXR mode and when to use which settings

JL

chrisnorris
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?

papillon_65 wrote:

I've been very impressed with mine and the dynamic range in EXR mode will outdo the OMD I had, it's hard to blow highlights if you set it up properly, and no I'm not joking.

Do you have examples of images you have taken with the XS-1 - flickr or similar please?

chrisnorris's gear list:chrisnorris's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
papillon_65
Like?
In reply to grumpyolderman, 11 months ago

grumpyolderman wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

I stand gladly corrected, as you said I did not own the X-S1, but I also think many owners did not get to grips with the right set-up of the EXR mode and when to use which settings

JL

EXR mode is excellent but you need to know how to use it, usually by experimentation, I think plenty have missed the boat on that one.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony

Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
papillon_65
Like?

chrisnorris wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

I've been very impressed with mine and the dynamic range in EXR mode will outdo the OMD I had, it's hard to blow highlights if you set it up properly, and no I'm not joking.

Do you have examples of images you have taken with the XS-1 - flickr or similar please?

Take a look here, there are over 6,000 images to look at.

-- hide signature --

Tony

Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,053Gear list
Like?
XS-1 vs EM-5

I received my XS-1 this afternoon (as a back-up to my EM-5) so can make a few comments (but not a direct comparison with the G5, which I looked at as a possible competitor to the XS-1 as my back-up system)

The XS-1 is larger , in fact it very closely matches my EM-5 + grip + 75-300 in size and weight, so it will be a real step up from the G5

Performance, based on very short experience:

- the view finder is suprisingly good, not quite up to the EM-5 standard (so probably not as good as the G5) but very useable at 50fps refresh rate

- focus speed and accuracy in good light were again suprising, once more - not quite up there with the EM-5 not by no means too slow

-  noise levels shooting in basic modes at 12 mpix are worse than the EM-5 (so I assume also worse than the G5), I wouldn't disagree with the ISO1600 = ISO400 noise levels, EM-5 to XS-1 BUT I haven't had a chance to use the "Pro EXR" settings yet (and was glad to see that they apparently work well)

- JPG colours and contrast look good

So, don't know if that helps. For me the XS-1 shaded out the g5 on its high frame rate still and video options (which I have a specific need for) and the fact that its non-interchangeble lens will give me a bit more confidence when shooting really mucky sand / salt shots on our local beaches and lower price (for a "complete" solution )

For me the G5 appeared a more refined, light-weight camera which should be capable of capturing higher quality images with larger file sizes but both are very good tools for the job

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
grumpyolderman
Like?

Is it right that the sensor is used in 6MP mode with EXR, do you notice this in the final picture?

JL

papillon_65
Like?
In reply to grumpyolderman, 11 months ago

grumpyolderman wrote:

Is it right that the sensor is used in 6MP mode with EXR, do you notice this in the final picture?

JL

I've compared the 6mp results with 12mp results printed at A4 and there is very little visible difference in terms of resolution. If you use the EXR mode for enhanced dynamic range or less noise then there definitely is a noticeable difference, EXR does work very nicely. The trick with this camera is to learn how to use the different modes to your best advantage. Fortunately it has 3 custom modes on the command dial which make it easy to preset certain modes, which can be changed by just turning the dial. This is an excellent feature and saves a lot of time, it's a very well thought out camera.

-- hide signature --

Tony

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads