[nx300] Continuous shooting high - Please Samsung fix this Locked

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,103Gear list
[nx300] Continuous shooting high - Please Samsung fix this
Apr 30, 2013

I alredy mentioned this in another thread, but this topic is really important and I think that Samsung should really notice and fix this issue.

Samsung claims a speed of 8.6fps in continuous high shooting, for the new nx300.

The problem is that after only 4 shots taken in a row, the camera starts saving them to the sd card and slows down very much, to about 0.5fps.

On previous bodies, the camera was able to take 8 continuous shoots before slowing down.

Now on the nx300 the raw files are much smaller than before, the cpu is much more powerful and both the buffer and i/o seem much faster. So...why is it slower than previous models in continuous shooting????

Please, Samsung, please fix this at least by taking it at the same level than before!!!!!!

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +11 more
Samsung NX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Re: [nx300] Continuous shooting high - Please Samsung fix this
In reply to tecnoworld, May 1, 2013
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,127Gear list
In reply to Knallberto, May 1, 2013

Knallberto wrote:

I think this isn't true.

For NX1000: slow 3fps, fast 8fps (user manual)

for NX300: slow 5fps, fast 8.6fps (user manual)

in fast mode my NX1000 makes 11 photos in a row, then saving to SD

in fast mode my NX300 makes 14 photos in a row, then saving to SD.

it can be heard clearly that the NX300 is faster

NX300 uses compressed RAW, NX1000 writes uncompressed RAW.  It takes processing time to compress RAW and write to card.  So the NX300 is definitely faster shot to shot, but the time to compress RAW files means it is slower than the NX20 in terms of write speed.

My RAW data rate is only about 10-12 MB/s to the card with the NX300 and with the same card was about 16 or 17 MB/s with the NX20.  The file size is smaller, so the actual number of RAW files is about the same.  The writing at ISO 3200 takes longer than writing an ISO 100 shot, but overall shot rate is about the same.  This to me indicates it isn't the IO speed that is the issue here, rather the buffer fills and it probably needs that room to compress the RAW files or something.

However, since the NX300 doesn't lock up the interface or anything it is overall faster than the earlier NX cameras, I can get one RAW shot a second or so on continuous mode, where the NX20 was maybe 1 every 1.5 seconds.  I.e. I no longer feel the need to advertise to people, hey, this thing is really slow.  I think the only thing it needs now is a larger buffer for RAW files.  Still, it isn't bad given the class of the camera, but if they bring another high end model they should double or triple the buffer size and I think it would fix the issues with RAW performance for all but the most demanding shooters.

As you say, for JPEG performance there is no issue, it goes for a long time before the buffer fills if you set the JPEG mode down to normal, and you can still shoot a couple shots per second indefinitely.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
tecnoworld
In reply to viking79, May 1, 2013

Yes, I should have mentioned that I was referring to raw+ sf combo.

If the slow down compared to other models is due to compression, then there should be the option to not compress raw files, so to have again at least 8 pictures recorded in a row.

For me this is a severe step backward, even if a bit mitigated by the faster interface after the burst.

4 shots in a row is really few for such a high end model as the nx300, and this makes me still needing the nx200 for certain kinds of shooting, where I can shoot 8 frames in raw + sf in a row!

Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +11 more
jennyrae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371

what do you shoot with nx200 at 8fps raw? to me, does not make sense or impractical to use nx200 even with 3 fps raw because of lockdown. maybe new firmware affect fps count of nx300 because i am able to shoot 8fps. but if bug, then samsung need to fix. I no need of rush but I think samsung does good job of releasing fix soon. my opinion 5 fps is enough now but fix is welcomed better.

I now sold nx200 and buy another nx300 because I get more and much better pictures with nx300.

tecnoworld
In reply to jennyrae, May 1, 2013

I was able to get some very nice sequences by having the 8 frames with nx200. 4 frames, for me, is very few, and almost does not make it a burst for me.

P.s. you get 8 continuous frames in a fast row with nx300, in raw+sf mode? Are you sure? Do you still have fw 1.0?

chrisrabe
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list

I am sure there will be a fix forthcoming. At least, I hope so.

But I find it hard to believe they would release a camera slower than any previous in any aspect.

They did a good job on improving this kind of issue on the previous gen.

chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS
Knallberto
Re: [nx300] Continuous shooting high - Please Samsung ignore it

Same for me. I never shoot RAW ... and continous RAW once within 10 years. Some people think ultraspeedRAW is solution to make Nobel award photos.

Knallberto

I want 29 continous RAW! I don't need it, but I want to be party king! Michelle, Amy, Jacky will admire me!

tecnoworld
In reply to chrisrabe, May 1, 2013

I hope they can fix the issue via fw and bring back at least 8 continuous raw shoots in a row, like it was for nx200/20/1000/210. It's a shame, otherwise.

Please Samsung, work on this.

Raf007
Regular MemberPosts: 160

It would be interesting if people still on firmware 1.00 could check how many RAW pics they can take because I think I could get more than five before I updated the firmware, not sure now. Hopefully it is something that can be fixed in firmware but if not it is not a big deal for me.

tecnoworld
In reply to Raf007, May 1, 2013

4 shots in a row is not a "sequence" for me...I mean, I need at least 7/8 shots to make it worth shooting in continuous mode, otherwise it's totally unuseful for me.

I was aple to capture some very nice sequences with nx200, that I wouldn't be able to get now with the nx300, and this is really odd since all the hw has so much improved!!

jennyrae

stock firmware. I check other NX300, this one is 5fps.

tecnoworld

Please notice if the 5th is already a bit delayed from the first 4. If so, then it's the same behavior with newer fw.

Anyway, 4 or 5, it's worse than 8 frames achieved by the older, cheaper and less powerful nx200, so please samsung bring back the speed shooting!!!!

jennyrae

also framing mode not working the same on new nx300.

tecnoworld

I never used framing mode. What do you mean? Isn't it working fine?

viking79

tecnoworld wrote:

Yes, I should have mentioned that I was referring to raw+ sf combo.

If the slow down compared to other models is due to compression, then there should be the option to not compress raw files, so to have again at least 8 pictures recorded in a row.

For me this is a severe step backward, even if a bit mitigated by the faster interface after the burst.

4 shots in a row is really few for such a high end model as the nx300, and this makes me still needing the nx200 for certain kinds of shooting, where I can shoot 8 frames in raw + sf in a row!

You get 5 if you only shoot RAW (instead of RAW+) with a 6th about half a second later

A second thing is they could have made the buffer smaller in the NX300, or as I said, how they are utilizing the buffer (maybe saving space for doing the compression).  As you say, it would be nice to be able to choose compression or not, Samsung seems to be going the route of making configuration easier (so less options).

Eric

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
viking79

Knallberto wrote:

I want 29 continous RAW! I don't need it, but I want to be party king! Michelle, Amy, Jacky will admire me!

Depends on what you shoot.  Granted, most don't need it, but having a large buffer like that is really nice for shooting an action sequence or similar.  I found the NX300 a bit slow for shooting some skateboarders the other day.  Even my A99 would bog down a bit if I went crazy.  If you don't mind JPEG the NX300 is even plenty fast for this.

Eric

-- hide signature --

Knallberto
Re: [nx300] Continuous shooting high - Please please Samsung ignore it

Sell your NX300! My friend will pay $ 49.99 for it! Or hope for an update with 25 RAWs per sec. !

Then you can make your fantastic earth-shattering never before seen photos.

Often I think: are there pubescent children ...

tecnoworld
Re: [nx300] Continuous shooting high - Please please Samsung ignore it

I was trying to make an informative topic, with the purpose of informing samsung that its latest flagship model has a worse behavior compared to older models, when shooting raw in continuous mode. This could help them making a new firmware correcting this annoying issue.

If you are not interested in the request, and don't think that you need anything but a single jpg shoot, then you could simply avoid posting. And you probably don't even need a camera like nx300, since any p&s camera could do that.

Thanks for understanding.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads