Zeiss Touit Lenses

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 3,992Gear list
Like?
Zeiss Touit Lenses
Apr 30, 2013

Zeiss is officially launching its new lens line starting with the 12 f/2.8 and 35 f/1.8, called 'Touit'...

From Zeiss, - Touit is pronounced like the English “do it.” Touit stands for good visibility, agility, mobility and diversity, qualities which also aptly describe the new ZEISS lenses for mirrorless camera systems. The name Touit comes from the band-tailed parrots.  This bird is very small and agile, and its plumage is deep green. The Touit parrots live in Latin America and the Caribbean in a wide range of different habitats, from damp-tropical island regions to lowland rainforests to thorn-bush savannas and even high in the Andes Mountains at altitudes of up to over 20,000 feet.

Link to Zeiss blog

Brochure link does not include MTF charts (strange)

Couldn't find pricing 

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Jordan Norris
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Re: Zeiss Touit Lenses
In reply to Al Valentino, 11 months ago

Yay a bunch of lenses that are almost the same! I know Zeiss is good but how many people are excited for another 35mm and at f/1.8? Maybe the 12 but the fuji 14 was just released. Rant done, someone correct me now, but Zeiss didn't seem to be thinking very hard here.

-- hide signature --

A decent camera that is with me always, is much better than precision tool that I leave at home.

Jordan Norris's gear list:Jordan Norris's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,095Gear list
Like?

I agree the choice of focal lengths is odd, but I would buy them if: (a) the optical performance is great almost a given (but why no information on performance); and (b) the autofocus performance of the 32 is better than the Fuji 35mm.

In truth, the 12 is the one that really interests me but I can't afford to own another UWA prime and a UWA zoom..

All of this also had me asking myself why Zeiss doesn't make AF versions of its SLR lenses... A bit odd.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
JasperD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,660
Like?

Ah, thanks for that! I couldn´t find the meaning of that name, so wrote to Zeiss asking for it. Makes sense, that blog post is dated yesterday. 

Now, let´s see the real thing in a shop please! The 12mm that is, not that much thrilled with the 32.

Also a question which just occurred to me: I thought the camera needs to know about a lens, one of the reasons we see camera firmware updates with each new lens. Isn´t that true? If it is true though, how is this going to be implemented for the Zeisses - thinking of lens profiles data in EXIF, vignetting control, that kind of stuff?

JasperD
Like?
In reply to Jordan Norris, 11 months ago

Yeah, the XF 14 has just been released, so what? Those Zeiss lenses have been announced for a long time, and there are people out there like me, who mean to compare both of them before purchase, because they´re certainly not going to buy both. Also for people who are just now jumping on the wagon, having choices is good. You always buy a lens only on the first day of release?

At equal IQ, I´ll gladly pick the Zeiss, as the 14/2.8 has a ¨feature¨ not much to my liking and it looks absent from the 12/2.8... Yes, I do know about the difference those 2mm make, but that´s less important.

The other lens is a 32, Al made a typo, that´s all there is to it. Close, but again not quite the same. Believe it or not, but I can imagine people buying that one now if they need to choose between it and the XF 35/1.4. Not me, but some will. Just business as usual.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,417Gear list
Like?
In reply to JasperD, 11 months ago

I agree the focal lengths are a bit conflicting with Fuji offerings. I think Zeiss will have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to best the 35mm F1.4 and the 14mm F2.8. Both of these are stellar lenses, are Fuji so they match with firmware and electronics, have AF, and superb optically. I know some don't like the manual focus lock on the 14mm but I love it. At night when taking nightscapes and doing manual focusing that lock is very very useful. Its very easy to bump the focus ring when handling the camera on a tripod or mounting it etc.

It should be interesting to see as the cost difference for the Zeiss means it will have to be significantly better than the Fuji's.

I think Zeiss will do way better with the Nex lenses. There are very few high quality Nex lenses. Zeiss also have the 24mm F1.8 which is the rave lens for the Nex system so they have already established their credentials there. Sony does not have a stellar 32mm nor a 12mm prime.

Greg.

baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,338Gear list
Like?

Did you order a complete druick of sandwiches for next year ??  

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +7 more
Dietr
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 11 months ago

I totally agree.  The Zeiss lenses will at this point be more attractive to the Sony NEX people.  I am glad that they are paying attention to the Fuji crowd though.  It means that the Fuji is taking hold and shows a promising future.  Also the 12mm looks like it might be an outstanding lens.  Fingers crossed, I just might buy one of those instead of the 14mm which I was set to get real soon.

Dietr's gear list:Dietr's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
Al Valentino
Like?

I suspect the idea for Zeiss to make these lenses began with filling a needed gap for great glass with Sony NEX bodies and they decided to go with Fuji as well. That would explain the close overlap as they are thinking along the same lines as Fuji. Except that Zeiss already has a 24mm f/1.8 gem for the NEX, something Fuji is offering at the end of their roadmap and Zeiss at the beginning - possibly to spur sales of the X100 body.

I always wanted a Zeiss but still a bit out of my range. Would gladly sell my Nikon 10-24 for a Zeiss 12mm but the difference will likely still be astronomical.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
JasperD
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 11 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

It should be interesting to see as the cost difference for the Zeiss means it will have to be significantly better than the Fuji's.

AFAIC, IQ only needs to be the same or better. I am indeed between those hating the clutch, so if I can get the same IQ but without that, the Zeiss will be a no-brainer to me; all XF functionality being there as it should, of course... In this context, the wider FOV is just an additional parameter, not a decisive one.

Interesting times ahead. I should know soon enough, there is no hurry, my wallet is not jumping at me in expectation. 

docvale
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?

Respectfully, I disagree with your gap-filling view of Zeiss strategy.

If it were for gap-filling, Zeiss should have released a 24mm for Fuji (which probably Fuji itself declined, in order not to damage their roadmap + X100S sales) and a fast-zoom for Sony. And Zeiss shouldn't instead make lenses for Canon, Nikon or Leica...

Sony and Fuji are leading the market of APS-C mirrorless. So it makes perfectly sense that Zeiss wants to have a production for both of them.

Is their 32mm gonna be better that the Fuji XF35? What about the (moderately priced and stabilized) Sony SEL35 then? Zeiss can definitely count on the brand factor to justify higher prices and they won't aim at the same sale numbers as Sony or Fuji aim too.

I think that every system would benefit of a broad choice for lenses. Since Sony, with its 4 camera series, target a wider range of shooters (from P/S upgraders to more experts) it makes sense that there's a Sigma 30mm or a Zeiss 32mm. The Fuji system is more upscale, with 2 only series (both premium), but still there's market for these new products.

Al Valentino wrote:

I suspect the idea for Zeiss to make these lenses began with filling a needed gap for great glass with Sony NEX bodies and they decided to go with Fuji as well. That would explain the close overlap as they are thinking along the same lines as Fuji. Except that Zeiss already has a 24mm f/1.8 gem for the NEX, something Fuji is offering at the end of their roadmap and Zeiss at the beginning - possibly to spur sales of the X100 body.

I always wanted a Zeiss but still a bit out of my range. Would gladly sell my Nikon 10-24 for a Zeiss 12mm but the difference will likely still be astronomical.

docvale's gear list:docvale's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
motobloat
Regular MemberPosts: 497
Like?

Al Valentino wrote:

Zeiss is officially launching its new lens line starting with the 12 f/2.8 and 35 f/1.8, called 'Touit'...

From Zeiss, - Touit is pronounced like the English “do it.”

I prefer to pronounce "touit" like the word "tight", as pronounced by Goldmember in Austin Powers 3 ... "You have a tight body. Yes, I see that from your tight pants. Yes, you are tight like a tiger."

liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,923Gear list
Like?
US Prices and availability

Al Valentino wrote:

From Zeiss, - Touit is pronounced like the English “do it.” Touit stands for good visibility, agility, mobility and diversity, qualities which also aptly describe the new ZEISS lenses for mirrorless camera systems. The name Touit comes from the band-tailed parrots.  This bird is very small and agile, and its plumage is deep green. The Touit parrots live in Latin America and the Caribbean in a wide range of different habitats, from damp-tropical island regions to lowland rainforests to thorn-bush savannas and even high in the Andes Mountains at altitudes of up to over 20,000 feet.

Link to Zeiss blog

Couldn't find pricing 

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=zeiss+touit

$900 for 32/1.8

$1250 for 12/2.8

$45 for lens hoods.

I'm eager to see how the AF performs!

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +5 more
ljclark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,256Gear list
Like?
All Things Considered...

...The pending availability of Zeiss lenses was one of the reasons I bought the X-Pro1 a couple weeks ago after holding out for a year.  The only lenses available locally were the 14mm and the 18-55.  Happy with the 14mm -- so far the zoom is OK...

I have Zeiss lenses in M-mount -- some going back to film RF days:  18mm f/4, 21mm f/2.8, and 25mm f/2.8.  All are very good, and the 25mm is dy-no-mite.

Zeiss 12mm:  Looking forward to it.  I use the Zeiss 18mm f/4 on my M9 and really like that FOV for travel interiors.

Zeiss 32mm:  Am likely to get that instead of the Fuji lens.  F/1.8 vs f/1.4 is not that big a deal if the quality is what I've come to expect from Zeiss.

I'm not thrilled with the gaps, though.  I would love a Zeiss or Fuji 16mm to fill in at the 24mm FOV spot (the Fuji 14mm would then end up on eBay)..  I wish there was a 23mm f/2 on the horizon -- I just don't need the bulk of an f/1.4 lens with 35mm FOV.  Who knows...Maybe the 10-24 will do the trick, if it is tack sharp wide open throughout the zoom range.

The other un-thrill is the size of the Zeiss and Fuji lenses.  No getting around it if you have fast AF lenses and the space needed to operate and communicate.  But M-mount primes by Voigtlander, Leica, and Zeiss tend to spoil you.

Oh well...We'll just have to wait and see.

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Nikon D300 Leica M9 +35 more
JasperD
Like?
Re: US Prices and availability
In reply to liquid stereo, 11 months ago

I´ve heard a rumor at $1,500 for the 12/2.8, so this would be a good surprise.

Hoods were said included though, according to Zeiss´ presentation.

kernel panic
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
In reply to JasperD, 11 months ago

JasperD wrote:

Also a question which just occurred to me: I thought the camera needs to know about a lens, one of the reasons we see camera firmware updates with each new lens. Isn´t that true? If it is true though, how is this going to be implemented for the Zeisses - thinking of lens profiles data in EXIF, vignetting control, that kind of stuff?

If Fuji is doing it like other manufacturers, the lenses themselves contain a firmware, which tells the body what it needs to know. And if both lens and body adhere to the protocol correctly there should be no need of updating the camera every time a new lens is released. Of course, Fuji could fine tune the camera/lens protocol and is therefore providing simultaneous updates of body and lens at the moment.

-- hide signature --

www.mirrorlessdb.com

Al Valentino
Like?
Re: US Prices and availability

liquid stereo wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

Link to Zeiss blog

Couldn't find pricing 

$900 for 32/1.8

$1250 for 12/2.8

$45 for lens hoods.

is it me, or is charging extra for hood with a premium lens a bit shameless?

liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,923Gear list
Like?
Replacement price

Al Valentino wrote:

liquid stereo wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

Link to Zeiss blog

Couldn't find pricing 

$900 for 32/1.8

$1250 for 12/2.8

$45 for lens hoods.

I suspect it's the price of a replacement.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +5 more
Al Valentino
Like?
Re: Replacement price

liquid stereo wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

liquid stereo wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

Link to Zeiss blog

Couldn't find pricing 

$900 for 32/1.8

$1250 for 12/2.8

$45 for lens hoods.

I suspect it's the price of a replacement.

i am now pretty sure, not 100% sure, the hood is not included with lens. If correct, this annoys me. I always use a hood, rarely a filter, for protection against flare, and banging as it is an excellenr shock absorber and also helps when shooting in light rain or powerfull waterfalls were mist is a problem. A premium product should include the hood.

JacquesBalthazar
Regular MemberPosts: 450Gear list
Like?
Re: Replacement pricev

Hood is included with lens. See PCH unboxing video.

JacquesBalthazar's gear list:JacquesBalthazar's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads