NEX for Aerial photography

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions
macsoft4
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
NEX for Aerial photography
Apr 30, 2013

Hi!

I'm in the market for a Quad RC flying machine to use for shooting video with my NEX 7.

What is the best option that can steadily fly my NEX 7 and not burn a hole in my wallet?

I see lots of DYI solutions, but i would like to go for a ready to fly one.

thanks

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
GaryR60
Contributing MemberPosts: 655
Like?
Re: NEX for Aerial photography
In reply to macsoft4, Apr 30, 2013

One that holds up well in a crash.  

macsoft4 wrote:

Hi!

I'm in the market for a Quad RC flying machine to use for shooting video with my NEX 7.

What is the best option that can steadily fly my NEX 7 and not burn a hole in my wallet?

thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?
In reply to GaryR60, Apr 30, 2013

GaryR60 wrote:

One that holds up well in a crash.  

macsoft4 wrote:

Hi!

thanks

Given how much some quad (and hex) copters cost, the NEX-7 might be one of the cheaper components to be wrecked in such a misfortune.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +17 more
macsoft4
Like?
In reply to DtEW, Apr 30, 2013

True. they are expensive.

That is why I wanna do my research before I open my wallet.

But they do offer a magnificent point of view for some video shots.

Will be cool to try aerial photography too.

DtEW
Like?
In reply to macsoft4, Apr 30, 2013

I had a well-heeled friend (a lawyer shooting a Phase One digital back) ask the very same question in reference to a hexcopter.  He was intrigued by the size of my 5N, which I showed could be used with a small, stabilized lens (SEL35F18) without my EVF.

(A fast lens with optical stabilization are probably given pluses.)

I am uncertain if PDAF would be any advantage in this application... but if so, the NEX5R might be worth considering.

The ultimate size/weight combo would be the SEL20F28/SEL16F28 (the latter will have soft corners that might not be relevant for video, but it needs to be noted that the wingsuit guys who flew through the building in Rio used the SEL16F28 w/NEX-5 on a helmet mount) as they are the lightest lenses for E-mount, with an aluminum mount (everything else is brass)... plus a tiny body such as either the 3N or the old C3.  But you give up ISO100 and other features.

The 7 is of course the most massive E-mount body, but that's not to say it's a huge difference.  But if you want wide-angle, the corner color-shifting might be harder to process out for video.  (Somebody else will have to chime in about that.)

Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +17 more
kiwicrispin
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to DtEW, Apr 30, 2013

With NEX-7 Video capture reliability being pretty bad in terms of the overheating issue, I wouldn't go to all the trouble of building/buying this to use it with a NEX camera with video in mind (and I own a NEX-7)......

macsoft4
Like?
In reply to kiwicrispin, May 1, 2013

Well I shoot video a lot with my NEX 7 and never once saw the overheating message.

Also.. you have 4 to 6 powerful "fans" lifting the device.. you don't get better cooling system than that

DtEW
Like?
In reply to macsoft4, May 1, 2013

You know, I totally missed the fact that your original post was asking about a recommendation for a flying machineinstead of a photographic setup for such a flying machine.  Oops.

macsoft4
Like?
In reply to DtEW, May 1, 2013

LOOL my bad.. the title is misleading

Pal2012
Regular MemberPosts: 316
Like?
fquails
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?

Post this question on Helifreak.com....there is a section there for Aerial Photography.

That site helped me earn my wings in RC helis....

fquails's gear list:fquails's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 +10 more
originalsauce
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?

does anyone else have problems using an ipad to post replies? Just lost everything I previously wrote.

I dnot own or have first hand experience with a rc drone but I did a fair bit of research into ready to fly ones as I was interested in getting one.

The two I solutions that I came up with included both drones from DJI.

1) DJI Phantom with a GoPro (£800)

2) DJI s800 (£6000)

both products you can get cheaper but these are bundle prices and extra things I wanted. E.g video output through goggles. The return of the drone to 'home' when connection was lost or battery was low was a plus for me.

The one area I spent some time reading up on was how to reduce jello. E.g getting a prop balancer and balancing out the propellers reduced it quite a bit. Certainly for the Phantom which was the initial setup I wanted.

macsoft4
Like?
In reply to Pal2012, May 2, 2013

Thanks for the link, But the idea is that it can carry a NEX 7

Pal2012
Regular MemberPosts: 316
Like?
In reply to macsoft4, May 3, 2013

macsoft4 wrote:

Thanks for the link, But the idea is that it can carry a NEX 7

Yeah, I know but for its low low cost and all that it does, I thought it might be worth considering for you.

kazkioken
Contributing MemberPosts: 520
Like?
In reply to macsoft4, May 3, 2013

You want to do plenty of research.  But basically this is a pivotal moment in aerial photography with lots of brushless gimbals coming out on the market now and soon.

Visit http://www.rc-drones.com for some quads, hex's and octo's that can carry a NEX.  I prefer to use the RX100 because of it's onboard stabilization and it has slightly cleaner video than my NEX5n or 7.

Here is a great thread with all the brushless gimbals that will be coming out soon:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1865315

You will need a quad or hex that can carry the weight of a midsized camera + the gimbal.  A Phantom won't do it you need something with more power and carry capacity.

Also keep an eye out on http://www.tppacks.com the site will get updated soon and they will sell a brushless gimbal for the RX100 and NEX cameras along with the quads, Y6's, etc.

-- hide signature --
DtEW
Like?
In reply to kazkioken, May 3, 2013

Pivotal, you say?

kazkioken
Contributing MemberPosts: 520
Like?
In reply to kazkioken, May 3, 2013

In terms of the OP's ask for low cost...the cheapest would probably be a used DJI f550 hex (or new or kit) with one if the 2 axis servo gimbals - moving up to brushless would cost bit more
--
http://www.500px.com/kazkang

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads