E-P5 images leaked

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions
Pedagydusz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,275Gear list
Like?
Re: Two wheels? I don't see them!
In reply to Pedagydusz, May 2, 2013

Thak you for the information. There are two wheels indeed. And I remain slightly upset for the scarcity of Fn buttons...

-- hide signature --
 Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Adobe Photoshop CS6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ppotka
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
Re: Would you like sauce with your gyros?
In reply to TheEye, May 2, 2013

That's not true, the camera you obviously refer to has gyros for three axis. The other two are software stabilized.

-p-

-- hide signature --

pekkapotka.com

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,389
Like?
Re: E-P5 images leaked
In reply to DjarumBlack, May 2, 2013

Blimey!  How on Earth do you do serious photography with no VF?
I have no objection to a detachable VF though.  I don't need a VF for snapshots, and I like the extra compactness of being able to take it off.
I swore I would not buy another camera for a few years, but his really does look super...  The 1/8000th shutter speed would make a big difference to my life.  Can we not have ISO50 as well?

DjarumBlack wrote:

robonrome wrote:

Add-on viewfinder = no thanks.

Tom

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

Agree. Are they mad. This isn't rocket science... Sony and Fuji can manage to put the evf into this body type. Wake up Olympus.

So are you saying that a sale to you is more important than a sale to me? I like the PEN line just fine without a viewfinder. When the E-P5 hits the stores, I will buy one. If it did have an EVF, then I wouldn't buy one. The sole reason I don't have an OMD is because it has features that I do not need.

There are just as many buyers who could care less about an EVF, but want the controls and features the E-PX series has always provided. Even if Olympus was going to make a rangefinder style camera, it probably would not be in the PEN line.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,389
Like?
Re: for some people build in VF is not good

Yup.  I am right handed and left eyed.

TheEye wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

deckfrost wrote:

wayfarers wrote:

Note that for left eye users a build in VF is useless,

too bad but left eye users are a tiny minority.

I don't think so : I saw a statistic once and there are far more left eye shooters than left handed persons (may be that is so because left hand persons are educated to use their right hand when it comes to learn writing at school). But if I remember correctly that tiny minority of left eye shooters amount to something like one third, which isn't what I'd name a tiny minority.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

The left eye is wired to the right side of the brain, which is the creative side of the brain. It makes sense that many visually creative people prefer to compose with the left eye.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,904Gear list
Like?
Re: This is the perfect camera...
In reply to rrr_hhh, May 2, 2013

Thanks for the feedback. I received the E-P3 last night and played around with it.  First impressions are that operationally we have come a long way between the E-PL2 and the E-P3 despite being announced very close to each other.  The AF, LCD, and ergonomics are much much better.  I was hoping for a little improvement in IQ being that it's a higher model and announced later than the E-PL2, but I think I had in mind that the E-P3 was released 9 months after; but they were released closer to each other than I had remembered. Maybe the E-PM2 would have been a better value at $50 more, but I think the operational difference and higher class body will help get better shots even if it's the same sensor and processing engine.

I really like the dual wheels, LCD, and Exposure comp. button. Looks nice in white, but the silver lens really feels cheap.

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
lester11
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?

TheEye wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

deckfrost wrote:

wayfarers wrote:

Note that for left eye users a build in VF is useless,

too bad but left eye users are a tiny minority.

I don't think so : I saw a statistic once and there are far more left eye shooters than left handed persons (may be that is so because left hand persons are educated to use their right hand when it comes to learn writing at school). But if I remember correctly that tiny minority of left eye shooters amount to something like one third, which isn't what I'd name a tiny minority.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

The left eye is wired to the right side of the brain, which is the creative side of the brain. It makes sense that many visually creative people prefer to compose with the left eye.

My better half is as right-handed as me, but automatically puts the camera to her left eye. She is "creative", I'm the geek...  So she also can't get on with the E-M5 grip, just a catastrophe for her in portrait mode.

-- hide signature --

Lester

lester11's gear list:lester11's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +13 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
In reply to lester11, May 2, 2013

lester11 wrote:

TheEye wrote:

My better half is as right-handed as me, but automatically puts the camera to her left eye. She is "creative", I'm the geek...  So she also can't get on with the E-M5 grip, just a catastrophe for her in portrait mode.

I am left handed but use my right eye. I don't believe for a second that it has anything to do with creativity.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Ybor
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
Re: Oh, wait, it IS a tilt screen …
In reply to Hen3ry, May 2, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

But the VF4 sure doesn’t look like anything to write home about in terms of being more clmpact and better looking than the VF2. Maybe it has a lock! 

Well, wait and see on May 9/10.

Cheers, geoff

The viewfinder is an unbelievable eyesore.

-- hide signature --

Ted

TheEye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,112
Like?
Solid-state angular rate sensors
In reply to ppotka, May 2, 2013

ppotka wrote:

That's not true, the camera you obviously refer to has gyros for three axis. The other two are software stabilized.

-p-

-- hide signature --

pekkapotka.com

Show me those gyros.

I am not talking about software stabilization. I am saying that the gyro sensors are solid state as opposed to an (electro-) mechanical device. They are actually called "solid-state angular rate sensor." A "gyro" is a spinning, gimbled mass that maintains its upright position through intertia. There are gyro-stabilized Steadican units.

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,013Gear list
Like?
Re: What's it over the EOM-D
In reply to DjarumBlack, May 2, 2013

DjarumBlack wrote:

If Olympus put an EVF in their PEN line, they'd be shunning customers like me who don't need or want the EVF. What would make more sense is a new rangefinder line with a built in EVF.

Well no they would not. They also have he E-PL5 and E-PM2. And in any case, what bars you from ignoring an EVF if you don’t want to use it?

The joke is that this designation "rangefinder" is nonsense. This is not a rangefinder camera, never was, never will be. In fact, the top of the PEN line back in the day after which the body shape of the E-Px line is modeled, was the PEN F, an SLR with the viewfinder in the top left-hand corner.

It was a half frame camera with a horizontal mirror movement and mirrors rather than a pentaprism to bring the image to the viewfinder. Hence its shape.

Hence an E-P5 with EVF in the upper left hand corner would actually be a genuine successor to the PEN F.

I believe there never was a PEN rangefinder -- I can’t remember one. The little PENs I remember had OVFs but no rangefinder. They were scale or zone focused and relied on DoF to overcome focusing errors.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
DjarumBlack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,412
Like?
In reply to Ulric, May 2, 2013

Ulric wrote:

lester11 wrote:

TheEye wrote:

I am left handed but use my right eye. I don't believe for a second that it has anything to do with creativity.

I generally agree. My sister has a lazy left eye so she became right eye dominant at a young age, but she writes left handed. Switching eye dominance can be done by wearing a patch for extended periods of time over the eye that we don't want to be dominant. We might be wired at birth to have a certain eye dominance, but usually other factors come into play as we get older.

DjarumBlack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,412
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, May 2, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

DjarumBlack wrote:

If Olympus put an EVF in their PEN line, they'd be shunning customers like me who don't need or want the EVF. What would make more sense is a new rangefinder line with a built in EVF.

Well no they would not. They also have he E-PL5 and E-PM2. And in any case, what bars you from ignoring an EVF if you don’t want to use it?

The joke is that this designation "rangefinder" is nonsense. This is not a rangefinder camera, never was, never will be. In fact, the top of the PEN line back in the day after which the body shape of the E-Px line is modeled, was the PEN F, an SLR with the viewfinder in the top left-hand corner.

It was a half frame camera with a horizontal mirror movement and mirrors rather than a pentaprism to bring the image to the viewfinder. Hence its shape.

Hence an E-P5 with EVF in the upper left hand corner would actually be a genuine successor to the PEN F.

I believe there never was a PEN rangefinder -- I can’t remember one. The little PENs I remember had OVFs but no rangefinder. They were scale or zone focused and relied on DoF to overcome focusing errors.

Cheers, geoff

A. Because I'm paying for something I don't need. I'm also buying into whatever tradeoffs there are to put in that EVF.

B. I could ask why you can't buy an OMD. The E-PL5 does not provide the same controls the E-PX line does. I could ask the same question. Why can't YOU buy an E-M5 with the EVF? If the location of the EVF is that big a deal, don't buy. Just like I wouldn't buy an E-P5 with an internal EVF if I'm not wanting to deal with those compromises to put in that EVF.

As it always is with this mess, someone or some group is declaring their wishes over someone elses. None of the camera companies can win 100 percent of the time for 100 percent of the people.

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,013Gear list
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, May 2, 2013

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Huh? What does 1/8000 do?

What would a new sensor do?

The greatest need is for PENs to get a built-in EVF.

In my view, an E-series camera would have to mimic the OMD specs. If it exceeded them it would turn the OMD into a second rate camera in the eyes of the market; if it did not match them it would make the E-series cam second rate.

Why not just bring out a high quality adapter for E-series lenses to run on the OMD? Oly ran itself into a blind alley with the E-series; it should back out of there and cut its losses.

Cheers, geoff

Hi Geoff, I'll address point by point.

-1/8000 shutter is a creative tool, adding to the ability to freeze motion, to shoot fast lenses wide open in sunlight (preferably paired with base ISO of 100 or 50), to synch with flash at a higher speed. Generally they also have less lag time and a higher lifecycle, being more robust. Compare, for instance, an E-620 and an E-5--the difference is huge.

It will sync flash at 1/8000?

-New sensor would mean improvements in dynamic range and ISO ceiling, capabilities I'll insist on in an E-M5 replacement. Perhaps they'll increase the bit count as well (at last). CDAF incorporation would be welcome, too.

I have no argument with a new sensor, in fact, but I would like to see some stability appear in this field. In fact the 16 MPX sensors seem to me to be perfectly adequate, not to say overkill, for the job we ask them to do. Let’s not get o to over the top (as some are) about a difference of what is really one or two percent at the very extremes of image use.

-I believe Oly has signaled their paths for Pen and O-MD and are reserving built-in EVFs for the latter. The E-P5 can be taken as the strongest signal to date that is the plan. I'll be surprised to see Pens with EVFs, and it's also the biggest reason I don't own a Pen.

Yes, it seems so and it is a pity. Like you, I might have been tempted by an E-P5 with a built-in EVF but I have no intention of moving to a new generation camera with an accessory EVF. I do 99% of my photography with the VF2 on the E-PL3. it is awkward.

The OMD does not appeal to me.

At some point there will be a crossover but if CDAF could be handled by an adapter of some soirt it would sell (presuming it wasn't a grand). I think we're headed for a µ4/3 in-body solution along with a new straight E-series, in reverse order.

You might be right in the matter of 43 and m43 cameras, but for the sake of a great brand, I hope not. I would really like to see Olympus bite the bullet and focus on m43 for the future. As a marketer, I believe there really is no percentage in pursuing the E series even further down the dead end street. It can only cause confusion in the market place and taint the Olympus brand.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?
Re: E-P5 images leaked
In reply to Philly, May 2, 2013

Philly wrote:

pixelcollector wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

marike6 wrote:

The tilt LCD is nice, even though with the 4:3 format, composing on the LCD is not great because of the black bars.

The E-Px series don't have black bars they show you a FF 4:3 picture. It's the E-Plx which have a smaller display and show the bars.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

i read somewhere that the e-p5 LCD will be 3:2 format. Probably a typo? Wouldn't make sense, I suspect.

Actually, the E-P3's LCD is 3:2--according the dpreview's review.  But any black bars left on the 3:2 display probably won't be too bad--certainly not as bad as in the 16:9 E-PMx/E-PL3/5 displays.

Geezzz I just checked my E-P3 and you are right, but the OLED is so big and so good that one doesn't notice it. Plus those two bands are very narrow and disappear when you zoom in. The E-Pl3/5 owners are much less happy.

BTW, the E-P5 is rumored to have a more ordinary LCD, not the OLED display (?); that would be a pitty, because it was a clear advantage of the E-P3 and E-M5. May be that they think that the E-VF is so good that the LCD has lost its importance ?

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,431Gear list
Like?
Re: Still no built in EVF rangefinder style.
In reply to deckfrost, May 2, 2013

deckfrost wrote:

ppotka wrote:

I really don't understand this obsession for a "rangefinder" style body. With Leicas the viewfinder is to the left for a reason: range finder.

I dont know for you but I have a nose and it get less on the way when the Vf is on the left.

Unless, like me, you focus with your left eye.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
ppotka
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
Re: Solid-state angular rate sensors

Olympus uses terms gyroscopic sensor or gyro sensor or gyro-sensor. I am referring to those when I write "gyro". While Olympus has used eg. piezoelectric sensors, I don't know the exact principle of  detection in those sensors inside OM-D. Do you?

-p-

-- hide signature --

pekkapotka.com

dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,553Gear list
Like?
LCD vs OLED

One thing LCD does better than OLED is color fidelity; I find the OLED colors a bit off and unnatural; of course LCD will eat up more battery juice unless they've found a way to tame it.

I do welcome back the use of LCD

Cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10
safaridon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,045
Like?
Re: E-P5 Facts
In reply to inlawbiker, May 2, 2013

inlawbiker wrote:

- It's the best looking Micro 4/3 camera to date.

- Whatever you think it will cost, it will cost more than that.

- No EVF is not a big deal.  But, now that the LF1 has included a token EVF others will follow suit.  Pretty soon it'll be little tiny EVF's for everybody.

Yes the small size of the LF1 with EVF shows what can be done and I expect Pany will follow up with a similar model for GX2?  At first I thought the LF1 must be using a smaller LCD screen ie 16:9 screen that the NEXs and Pens use but but when scaling a photo of same and comparing with camera specs appears the LCD is full 3" size for 3:2.  The EVF is only 0.2" size but Pany could easily use a higher resolution model with 1.44 mp like that from the FZ200 in other models.  The LF1 is only 2.44 inches tall so could include a slightly larger EVF size and still be no higher than the GF7 at 2.7 inches.  This would be a long awaited game changer for Pany?

grey0135
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Re: New front grip?

What bag do you have in that picture?

-- hide signature --

RV Abbott

sarlo100
Senior MemberPosts: 1,321Gear list
Like?
Re: E-PL5 in a Pretty Dress?
In reply to dylanear, May 2, 2013

dylanear wrote:

sarlo100 wrote:

FoolyCooly wrote:

MSRP should be $300- $400 more than current prices for the E-PL5 and you still have to pay $200 extra for the viewfinder. IDK... it could be worth the extra cost.

That price point would be north of the E-M5.  Tough sell if they price it that high.

It's the new camera, it may go for more than the E-M5, but I bet it'll MSRP under the OM-D. Initially it may go for more on the street, but it will fall below OM-D prices before long. Then before long after that the new E-M6/E-M7 or whatever it will be called will be out and sell for more.
How Olympus positions this camera and how newness to market/product cycles affects price are different things and shouldn't be confused. Look at E-P3 prices these days!! I was >this< close to getting one before the E-P5 photos leaked!

I'll bet $799 MSRP.  Which, with an EVF, brings it to E-M5 level, and splits the difference between an E-M5 and an E-PL5.  Not everybody will want an EVF, so this makes some sense.  That, and the pricing on the Gen 2 sensor cameras aren't moving at all.  I just went looking for an E-PL5, and they're still sitting firm at $600.

All of the old sensor cameras have plummeted in price since the new crop came out.  For anybody who is willing to put up with the shortcomings of the Gen 1 sensors, the prices on them can't be beat.  Cameta has E-P3 refurbs @ ~$360 or so.

sarlo100's gear list:sarlo100's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 350D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads