E-P5 images leaked

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,121Gear list
Like?
Hmm
In reply to sadwitch, May 1, 2013

OM-D style tilt screen, improved IS, built in flash, two dials, a couple FW features that would be nice on the E-M5...  All looking good for a second/backup body

Question now is price... and how the next OM-D can top it.

I don't expect to see a built in VF on a PEN, they need something to distinguish the OM-D line.

Would be real nice though, if it can use the HDL-6 grip. Would have to include an adapter for PEN battery for those who don't already have an OM-D?  or maybe it already uses BLN-1?  Naw, they probably won't do that, but one can hope

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,123Gear list
Like?
Re: Still no built in EVF rangefinder style.
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, May 1, 2013

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Still no built in EVF rangefinder style, let's see who made it first on Micro 4/3, Panasonic Lumix or Olympus.

I agree that this is problematic. One has to wonder how big of a market there is for a camera at this price level that is lacking a built in VF.

Or maybe they will never make it. but if they do it will be a camera that is going to sell a lot.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,513
Like?
Re: What's it over the EOM-D
In reply to DLBlack, May 1, 2013

DLBlack wrote:

The upcoming E-P5 looks to be a nice improvement over the previous E-P3 and an slight improvement over the E-M5.  The E-P5 if the rumors are correct has improved IBIS and AF over the E-M5.  It has the same sensor and image processor so the image quality is going to be about the same.  It wil get the smaller AF box that the E-PL5 has but the E-M5 doesn't.  It gets focus peaking.  It doesn't have weather-sealing and built-in EVF.  The cost difference between the E-P5 and the E-M5 is going to be interesting.  So one just have to look at the slight differences in features and price and choice.

Olympus at CP+ had a poster that showed that the E-P5, an OMD and an E-Series cameras are coming this year.  Is the OMD going to be the OMD-pro and be above the E-M5 or is it going to be a true replacement for the E-M5.  If it is a true E-M5 replacement, lets call it E-M6, it will get the E-P5 features and be weather-sealed and have a built-in evf.  This will be really nice.  If the next OMD is going to be a pro-level camera one can only dream what it is going to be like.

Dave

As the E-P5 specs are clarified we have a much better sense of the E-M5 successor. Along with the apparently improved IBIS, AF and engine, we'll get the 1/8000 shutter (hooray!) and high-rez EVF. All are welcome enhancements to current E-M5 shooters, but is it enough to trigger a round of upgrading? For myself, I'd also want a new sensor as part of the deal and if it has PDAF, all the better. The O-MD series needs to be Oly's technology leader and not merely mirror what's already available in the Pen lineup.

Pretty sure there will be one more E-series body. Does that leave room for the mythic "bridge" body? Heck if I know.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,987Gear list
Like?
Re: This is the perfect camera...
In reply to rrr_hhh, May 1, 2013

My E-P3 is "out for delivery" so I'm pretty excited. I'll be curious to see how much better this camera is than the E-PL2 and GH1 (which I use at school).  Have you used the E-PL2 and do you find the E-Px series to be much better? I suppose the sensor might be better than my E-3, but we'll see.

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, May 1, 2013

Skeeterbytes wrote:

As the E-P5 specs are clarified we have a much better sense of the E-M5 successor. Along with the apparently improved IBIS, AF and engine, we'll get the 1/8000 shutter (hooray!) and high-rez EVF. All are welcome enhancements to current E-M5 shooters, but is it enough to trigger a round of upgrading? For myself, I'd also want a new sensor as part of the deal and if it has PDAF, all the better. The O-MD series needs to be Oly's technology leader and not merely mirror what's already available in the Pen lineup.

Your insights strike me as sensible and probably accurate.  I wouldn't upgrade my E-M5 for those kind of improvements, though.  It's going to be a long time before I can outshoot this camera. 

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,121Gear list
Like?
To eliminate nose issues
In reply to Hen3ry, May 1, 2013

and other left/right ergonomic problems, we'd have to completely rethink the design of the camera body.

Think a vertical body sitting on a pistol grip.  The VF would be centered, your nose would rest on either side of the body, controls would be on the handle and mirrored for right or left handed shooting.  Battery would fit in the handle and the extra height above the lens would allow for better position of flash.

Drawbacks: camera would not be as compact as current cameras, and would be shunned by people who thought it didn't look like a camera.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,093Gear list
Like?

Skeeterbytes wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

The upcoming E-P5 looks to be a nice improvement over the previous E-P3 and an slight improvement over the E-M5.  The E-P5 if the rumors are correct has improved IBIS and AF over the E-M5.  It has the same sensor and image processor so the image quality is going to be about the same.  It wil get the smaller AF box that the E-PL5 has but the E-M5 doesn't.  It gets focus peaking.  It doesn't have weather-sealing and built-in EVF.  The cost difference between the E-P5 and the E-M5 is going to be interesting.  So one just have to look at the slight differences in features and price and choice.

Olympus at CP+ had a poster that showed that the E-P5, an OMD and an E-Series cameras are coming this year.  Is the OMD going to be the OMD-pro and be above the E-M5 or is it going to be a true replacement for the E-M5.  If it is a true E-M5 replacement, lets call it E-M6, it will get the E-P5 features and be weather-sealed and have a built-in evf.  This will be really nice.  If the next OMD is going to be a pro-level camera one can only dream what it is going to be like.

Dave

Pretty sure there will be one more E-series body. Does that leave room for the mythic "bridge" body? Heck if I know.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

—Mark Twain

All sounds reasonable and is one of two reasons I am watching the E-P5 rumors.  There are a few reasons I will upgrade my E-M5.  They are better AF-C and tracking for sports and wildlife photography.  Smaller AF points where I will be able to use the histogram or blinkies or level at the same time as a small AF point.  Currently you get the 14x AF point in the zoom AF setting but loose all the other things.  It will be great to have small AF box histogram and level all in the same view.  A lower iso setting might tempt me.  An iso 50 would be great., iso 100 would be ok.  I would guess if the next OMD camera is an E-M5 replacement that it will get all the E-P5 stuff place at least one other thing.

The second reason I am watching the E-P5 rumors is that I am planning on buying my wife a new camera to replace her E-PL2.  AN EVF lives in the hotshoe of her camera.  For this reason it looks like I will be buying her an E-M5 in June instead of the E-P5.

Yes, the poster hat C+ had an E-series camera listed for this year.  I guess this means an E-6 built with some of the current technolgy that is in the E-P5 and E-M5.  Then again it could mean an pro-level MTF that can AF the FT lenses at the same or better speed than in the E-5.  I am pretty sure it means that it will be a solution for users with FT lenses.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
DjarumBlack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,421
Like?
Re: E-P5 images leaked
In reply to robonrome, May 1, 2013

robonrome wrote:

Add-on viewfinder = no thanks.

Tom

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

Agree. Are they mad. This isn't rocket science... Sony and Fuji can manage to put the evf into this body type. Wake up Olympus.

So are you saying that a sale to you is more important than a sale to me? I like the PEN line just fine without a viewfinder. When the E-P5 hits the stores, I will buy one. If it did have an EVF, then I wouldn't buy one. The sole reason I don't have an OMD is because it has features that I do not need.

There are just as many buyers who could care less about an EVF, but want the controls and features the E-PX series has always provided. Even if Olympus was going to make a rangefinder style camera, it probably would not be in the PEN line.

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,962Gear list
Like?
Re: for some people build in VF is not good
In reply to Sergey Borachev, May 1, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

The VF4 looks like a big fat thing that is even bigger than the VF2. Ridiculous.

It does look silly.  I suspect that size may have something to do with the 5-axis IBIS.  And, it is possible that Olympus will pass on the 5-axis IBIS to all its models.  That would really distinguish its cameras.

Sergey, the size of the VF4 obviously cannot have anything to do with the 5 axis IBIS. If it did, the IBIS would not work for most users who buy these cameras without an EVF because they don't wasn’t to use an EVF.

You are mindlessly parroting the mindless statements made in defense of the far-too-big hump on the EM5 that it was essential for IBIS. It was not and is not. It is simply styling.

So now you start off on another path -- 5 axis IBIS [i]might[/i] be extended to all models. It should be -- the IBIS in the E-PL3/5 and E-PM1/2 is not only functionally useless most of the time, it actually damages pictures. I might switch on my E-PL3s IBIS once a month for a few shots then switch it off again. I was very disappointed by this -- I actually bought into Oly partly because of the promise of IBIS.

In the meantime, Panasonic cameras are distinguished by in-camera CA correction, excellent OIS in most lenses (you never see anyone complaining about it; I found with the G1 it could be left switched on all the time because it helped when needed and did not damage images when it was not needed), and great ergonomics.

And the G and GH series have had built-in EVFs from the get go. Olympus [i]still[/i] offers only one camera with this facility.

Oh -- and Panny was the first m43 with focus peaking -- and that in a middle range camera.

Olympus is playing catch up with the E-P5.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Philly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099
Like?
New front grip?

The front grip doesn't look removable.  I don't see a screw there.  But if it is fixed, the design is kind of strange as it extends beyond the right side of the camera:

DjarumBlack
Like?
Re: New front grip?
In reply to Philly, May 1, 2013

I do hope the E-P5 has a removable grip. I liked the large one for the E-P3 when I played with one a while back.

Hen3ry
Like?

Skeeterbytes wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

As the E-P5 specs are clarified we have a much better sense of the E-M5 successor. Along with the apparently improved IBIS, AF and engine, we'll get the 1/8000 shutter (hooray!)

Huh? What does 1/8000 do?

and high-rez EVF. All are welcome enhancements to current E-M5 shooters, but is it enough to trigger a round of upgrading? For myself, I'd also want a new sensor as part of the deal and if it has PDAF, all the better.

What would a new sensor do?

The O-MD series needs to be Oly's technology leader and not merely mirror what's already available in the Pen lineup.

The greatest need is for PENs to get a built-in EVF.

In my view, an E-series camera would have to mimic the OMD specs. If it exceeded them it would turn the OMD into a second rate camera in the eyes of the market; if it did not match them it would make the E-series cam second rate.

Why not just bring out a high quality adapter for E-series lenses to run on the OMD? Oly ran itself into a blind alley with the E-series; it should back out of there and cut its losses.

Cheers, geoff

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
DjarumBlack
Like?

Hen3ry wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

The VF4 looks like a big fat thing that is even bigger than the VF2. Ridiculous.

It does look silly.  I suspect that size may have something to do with the 5-axis IBIS.  And, it is possible that Olympus will pass on the 5-axis IBIS to all its models.  That would really distinguish its cameras.

Sergey, the size of the VF4 obviously cannot have anything to do with the 5 axis IBIS. If it did, the IBIS would not work for most users who buy these cameras without an EVF because they don't wasn’t to use an EVF.

You are mindlessly parroting the mindless statements made in defense of the far-too-big hump on the EM5 that it was essential for IBIS. It was not and is not. It is simply styling.

So now you start off on another path -- 5 axis IBIS [i]might[/i] be extended to all models. It should be -- the IBIS in the E-PL3/5 and E-PM1/2 is not only functionally useless most of the time, it actually damages pictures. I might switch on my E-PL3s IBIS once a month for a few shots then switch it off again. I was very disappointed by this -- I actually bought into Oly partly because of the promise of IBIS.

In the meantime, Panasonic cameras are distinguished by in-camera CA correction, excellent OIS in most lenses (you never see anyone complaining about it; I found with the G1 it could be left switched on all the time because it helped when needed and did not damage images when it was not needed), and great ergonomics.

And the G and GH series have had built-in EVFs from the get go. Olympus [i]still[/i] offers only one camera with this facility.

Oh -- and Panny was the first m43 with focus peaking -- and that in a middle range camera.

Cheers, geoff

And how did this become a Panasonic vs Olympus thread? Both companies produce similar cameras with different feature sets that stand on their own merits.

DjarumBlack
Like?

Hen3ry wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

As the E-P5 specs are clarified we have a much better sense of the E-M5 successor. Along with the apparently improved IBIS, AF and engine, we'll get the 1/8000 shutter (hooray!)

and high-rez EVF. All are welcome enhancements to current E-M5 shooters, but is it enough to trigger a round of upgrading? For myself, I'd also want a new sensor as part of the deal and if it has PDAF, all the better.

The O-MD series needs to be Oly's technology leader and not merely mirror what's already available in the Pen lineup.

In my view, an E-series camera would have to mimic the OMD specs. If it exceeded them it would turn the OMD into a second rate camera in the eyes of the market; if it did not match them it would make the E-series cam second rate.

Why not just bring out a high quality adapter for E-series lenses to run on the OMD? Oly ran itself into a blind alley with the E-series; it should back out of there and cut its losses.

Cheers, geoff

If Olympus put an EVF in their PEN line, they'd be shunning customers like me who don't need or want the EVF. What would make more sense is a new rangefinder line with a built in EVF.

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,920Gear list
Like?
Re: This is the perfect camera...
In reply to SirSeth, May 1, 2013

SirSeth wrote:

My E-P3 is "out for delivery" so I'm pretty excited. I'll be curious to see how much better this camera is than the E-PL2 and GH1 (which I use at school).  Have you used the E-PL2 and do you find the E-Px series to be much better? I suppose the sensor might be better than my E-3, but we'll see.

No I have never had an E-Pl, I first got an E-P1, a G1, a G3 and an E-P3. The E-P1 wasn't really a good camera to use : it was rather slow to focus, had a bad LCD and lacked the plug fr the E-VF. It was very nice to handle, but not to use. So I got an end of life G1 because it was a good deal; the camera was much better : I liked the rticulated LCD, appreciated the E-VF and above all the improved reactivity of the camera. I got a G3, hoping improvements in IQ, but was rather disappointed by the marginal improvement over the old sensor. I ended getting an E-P3 and liked the camera very much. I liked the white color (like my E-P1) and the reactivity is even better than that of the G1/G3. the reactivity IMO is the main improvement over the first and second generation Pens. It really make a difference. The IQ is more or less the same as what you have on the E-Pl2, since it s similar to what I had on the E-P1.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,513
Like?

Hen3ry wrote:

Cheers, geoff

Hi Geoff, I'll address point by point.

-1/8000 shutter is a creative tool, adding to the ability to freeze motion, to shoot fast lenses wide open in sunlight (preferably paired with base ISO of 100 or 50), to synch with flash at a higher speed. Generally they also have less lag time and a higher lifecycle, being more robust. Compare, for instance, an E-620 and an E-5--the difference is huge.

-New sensor would mean improvements in dynamic range and ISO ceiling, capabilities I'll insist on in an E-M5 replacement. Perhaps they'll increase the bit count as well (at last). CDAF incorporation would be welcome, too.

-I believe Oly has signaled their paths for Pen and O-MD and are reserving built-in EVFs for the latter. The E-P5 can be taken as the strongest signal to date that is the plan. I'll be surprised to see Pens with EVFs, and it's also the biggest reason I don't own a Pen.

At some point there will be a crossover but if CDAF could be handled by an adapter of some soirt it would sell (presuming it wasn't a grand). I think we're headed for a µ4/3 in-body solution along with a new straight E-series, in reverse order.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

—Mark Twain

Krich13
Regular MemberPosts: 439
Like?
Re: E-P5 images leaked

No hand grip again? When will they learn?

ppotka
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?
In reply to DjarumBlack, May 1, 2013

You are mixing up things. The "hump" in E-M5 contains EVF and gyros. While EVF is not needed for IBIS, gyros are.

-p-

-- hide signature --

pekkapotka.com

Pedagydusz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,368Gear list
Like?
Two wheels? I don't see them!

Looking at the second set of pictures, I don't see the two-wheel arrangement! I mean, there are two wheels, but one is for choosing mode, only one for exposure. Or not?

Also, at first sight, it does not seem to offer many buttons for customization...

If these two observations are correct... bummer!

-- hide signature --
 Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Adobe Photoshop CS6
Hen3ry
Like?
In reply to DjarumBlack, May 1, 2013

DjarumBlack wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Cheers, geoff

And how did this become a Panasonic vs Olympus thread? Both companies produce similar cameras with different feature sets that stand on their own merits.

You are right, Djarum. In my headspace this is the continuation of a stream of posts Sergey has made on threads about the G6 and the G5 before that, just mindlessly chanting his hyperbole about the Oly 16 MPX sensor while ignoring all other attributes (or the lack of them) on both sides and damning Panasonic for not putting the GH3 (or better, in his view, the EM5) sensor in those cameras which would result in Panny's early demise.

But there is a connection and it ought to be discussed. Neither the E-P5 nor the Olympus line up stands alone. They compete directly with Panny in the m43 field so there should be comparison (for example, I am now pretty firmly headed for a G6 to move up from my E-PL3; if the E-P5 had turned out to have a built-in EVF in addition to the built-in flash, I certainly would have given it serious consideration. As it is, it is not in the race.)

Further, for a more general market, the E-P5 is competing with other CSCs with both larger and smaller formats. A couple of them have built-in EVFs either not in a hump or in a very small hump. They need to be taken into account too in a discussion about the E-P5 and its merits.

Cheers, geoff

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads