Why doesn't Samsung offer body only options?

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
chrisrabe Contributing Member • Posts: 734
Why doesn't Samsung offer body only options?
1

Especially as more and more people buy into the system, building a list of lenses they want.

It just adds unnecessary cost.

 chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 6,775
Re: Why doesn't Samsung offer body only options?

I think the price difference won't be so high. But you are right: I have two 20-50mm lens...fortunately the nx300 was bundled with the 18-55mm, which I didn't have

 tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
chrisrabe OP Contributing Member • Posts: 734
Re: Why doesn't Samsung offer body only options?

I wish the NX300 I got was bundled with 18-55. Dunno why, but I don't like the 20-50mm.

For some reason, hardly anywhere in UK has it with the 18-55mm

I have the 18-200mm, but the 18-55 would be nice as a lighter weight option

Would much rather just have the camera for £500, then pick my own lenses.

 chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 6,775
Re: Why doesn't Samsung offer body only options?

Yup, the 18-55mm can be nice also since it has the ois, which is so infrequent in the nx line.

 tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
pcheywood Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: Why doesn't Samsung offer body only options?

chrisrabe wrote:

I wish the NX300 I got was bundled with 18-55. Dunno why, but I don't like the 20-50mm.

For some reason, hardly anywhere in UK has it with the 18-55mm

I have the 18-200mm, but the 18-55 would be nice as a lighter weight option

Would much rather just have the camera for £500, then pick my own lenses.

You could order one with the 18-55 from Very for £549.00, and if it's your first order get 10% off.

http://www.very.co.uk/samsung-nx300-20-megapixel-digital-camera---blacksilver/1248235998.prd?browseToken=%2fq%2fnx300

I think you could link this in with a further 7% discount with Quidco or Topcashback as a new customer (though you'd have to find this out for sure)

Timmbits
Timmbits Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Re: Why doesn't Samsung offer body only options?

I ordered my NX20 at the end of last year body only. I then got the 30mm to use with it.

But when it came out, it wasn't available without a lens. I think that is the case most of the time.

I'm thinking of getting a NX300, and have seen it on ebay with a 20-50 and with 18-55 and both seem very available right now.

Do any of you guys have a spare kit lens for sale at a bargain price, by any chance?

 Timmbits's gear list:Timmbits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Greynerd Senior Member • Posts: 5,647
Re: Why doesn't Samsung offer body only options?
1

It is probably worth just storing the kit lens for when you want to resell. I am not sure a body only really will appeal to many people on ebay or suchlike who probably will want the original box with all its components. The fact that the manufacturers are reluctant to sell body only would imply this is the big market, possibly for those who never use anything but the kit lens.

If you do split the lens will probably return you more than it cost.

Body only would require a new box, different packaging and distribution and there are probably not enough NX lenses out there to make it worthwhile.

chrisrabe wrote:

Especially as more and more people buy into the system, building a list of lenses they want.

It just adds unnecessary cost.

 Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus TG-310 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +7 more
Timmbits
Timmbits Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Re: Why doesn't Samsung offer body only options?
1

Greynerd wrote:

It is probably worth just storing the kit lens for when you want to resell. I am not sure a body only really will appeal to many people on ebay or suchlike who probably will want the original box with all its components. The fact that the manufacturers are reluctant to sell body only would imply this is the big market, possibly for those who never use anything but the kit lens.

If you do split the lens will probably return you more than it cost.

Body only would require a new box, different packaging and distribution and there are probably not enough NX lenses out there to make it worthwhile.

I totally agree.  I had sold the kit lens that had come with my NX1000, and later couldn't sell the camera body on it's own.  I ended up bundling the 50-200mm with it (that I would have preferred to keep), and the camera sold relatively quickly.

But then again, we don't buy cameras with a mind to resell them... and some guys here seem to have lenses coming out of their ears already.

 Timmbits's gear list:Timmbits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads