Why doesn't Samsung offer body only options?

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions
chrisrabe
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Why doesn't Samsung offer body only options?
Apr 30, 2013

Especially as more and more people buy into the system, building a list of lenses they want.

It just adds unnecessary cost.

chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,107Gear list
Like?
Re: Why doesn't Samsung offer body only options?
In reply to chrisrabe, Apr 30, 2013

I think the price difference won't be so high. But you are right: I have two 20-50mm lens...fortunately the nx300 was bundled with the 18-55mm, which I didn't have

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chrisrabe
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Apr 30, 2013

I wish the NX300 I got was bundled with 18-55. Dunno why, but I don't like the 20-50mm.

For some reason, hardly anywhere in UK has it with the 18-55mm

I have the 18-200mm, but the 18-55 would be nice as a lighter weight option

Would much rather just have the camera for £500, then pick my own lenses.

chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,107Gear list
Like?

Yup, the 18-55mm can be nice also since it has the ois, which is so infrequent in the nx line.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
pcheywood
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?

chrisrabe wrote:

I wish the NX300 I got was bundled with 18-55. Dunno why, but I don't like the 20-50mm.

For some reason, hardly anywhere in UK has it with the 18-55mm

I have the 18-200mm, but the 18-55 would be nice as a lighter weight option

Would much rather just have the camera for £500, then pick my own lenses.

You could order one with the 18-55 from Very for £549.00, and if it's your first order get 10% off.

http://www.very.co.uk/samsung-nx300-20-megapixel-digital-camera---blacksilver/1248235998.prd?browseToken=%2fq%2fnx300

I think you could link this in with a further 7% discount with Quidco or Topcashback as a new customer (though you'd have to find this out for sure)

Timmbits
Contributing MemberPosts: 522Gear list
Like?
In reply to chrisrabe, May 1, 2013

I ordered my NX20 at the end of last year body only. I then got the 30mm to use with it.

But when it came out, it wasn't available without a lens. I think that is the case most of the time.

I'm thinking of getting a NX300, and have seen it on ebay with a 20-50 and with 18-55 and both seem very available right now.

Do any of you guys have a spare kit lens for sale at a bargain price, by any chance?

Timmbits's gear list:Timmbits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +4 more
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,379Gear list
Like?
In reply to chrisrabe, May 1, 2013

It is probably worth just storing the kit lens for when you want to resell. I am not sure a body only really will appeal to many people on ebay or suchlike who probably will want the original box with all its components. The fact that the manufacturers are reluctant to sell body only would imply this is the big market, possibly for those who never use anything but the kit lens.

If you do split the lens will probably return you more than it cost.

Body only would require a new box, different packaging and distribution and there are probably not enough NX lenses out there to make it worthwhile.

chrisrabe wrote:

Especially as more and more people buy into the system, building a list of lenses they want.

It just adds unnecessary cost.

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
Timmbits
Contributing MemberPosts: 522Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, May 2, 2013

Greynerd wrote:

It is probably worth just storing the kit lens for when you want to resell. I am not sure a body only really will appeal to many people on ebay or suchlike who probably will want the original box with all its components. The fact that the manufacturers are reluctant to sell body only would imply this is the big market, possibly for those who never use anything but the kit lens.

If you do split the lens will probably return you more than it cost.

Body only would require a new box, different packaging and distribution and there are probably not enough NX lenses out there to make it worthwhile.

I totally agree.  I had sold the kit lens that had come with my NX1000, and later couldn't sell the camera body on it's own.  I ended up bundling the 50-200mm with it (that I would have preferred to keep), and the camera sold relatively quickly.

But then again, we don't buy cameras with a mind to resell them... and some guys here seem to have lenses coming out of their ears already.

Timmbits's gear list:Timmbits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads