The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
Apr 30, 2013

...is that I cant look at my Bayer images the same way anymore.   I took my X100 with me to Suzhou because I wanted to have a wide angle lens available.   Images off that camera, which I used to love, just dont do it for me anymore.  Not even close.

Sigh.........

-- hide signature --

9 years of Fujifilm camera usage, ended by rampant fanboyism.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
neoro_blitz
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
Re: The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
In reply to rattymouse, Apr 30, 2013

rattymouse wrote:

...is that I cant look at my Bayer images the same way anymore.   I took my X100 with me to Suzhou because I wanted to have a wide angle lens available.   Images off that camera, which I used to love, just dont do it for me anymore.  Not even close.

Sigh.........

-- hide signature --

I took my Nikon D800E out for a spin, and it never felt the same again after the DP2m came ....

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jennyrae
Senior MemberPosts: 2,169Gear list
Like?

that is big problem. laugh.

pixel_peeper
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
In reply to neoro_blitz, Apr 30, 2013

neoro_blitz wrote:

I took my Nikon D800E out for a spin, and it never felt the same again after the DP2m came ....
-- hide signature --

Try resizing the D800E shots down to about 20 Mpx, and they'll probably look as good on a monitor as your DP2M shots.

Tiger1
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?

I thought you were going to say that you need a truck to carry the spare batteries when going on vacation!

Tiger1's gear list:Tiger1's gear list
Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sigma SD14 Sigma SD1 Merrill +8 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Tiger1, Apr 30, 2013

Tiger1 wrote:

I thought you were going to say that you need a truck to carry the spare batteries when going on vacation!

Actually, I just got back from 4 days in Suzhou China.  Never once did I extinguish a battery while out shooting!  I was VERY surprised at that.  I was able to keep it under 100 shots at a time.  I had 3 batteries with me but never needed the two spares.

One helping factor was that I shoot a LOT of film still and so spend time with my medium format camera.  I shot about 15 rolls of film over 3 days or so.  That helped keep my DP2M going.

I have no problems with the battery life of my Sigma camera.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Laurence Matson
Forum ProPosts: 11,248Gear list
Like?
Do I hear the sound of an old squeezebox?
In reply to pixel_peeper, Apr 30, 2013

pixel_peeper wrote:

Try resizing the D800E shots down to about 20 Mpx, and they'll probably look as good on a monitor as your DP2M shots.

This statement has been flying around here for as long as Foveon changed the technology game plan for imagers. Your operative words of "try" and "probably" say it all. The answer is they won't. But keep trying for a probable result.

-- hide signature --

Laurence
laurence at appledore-farm dot com
"I thought: I read something in a book, I dream, I imagine, and it comes true. And it is exactly like this in life.
"You can dream, and it comes true, as long as you can get out of the certitudes. As long as you can get a pioneering spirit, as long as you can explore, as long as you can think off the grid. So much time we spend in our education, in our lives is spent learning certitudes, learning habits, trying to fight against the unknown, to avoid the doubts and question marks. As soon as you start to love the unknown, to love the doubts, to love the question marks, life becomes an absolutely fabulous adventure."
Bertrand Piccard, a Swiss person
http://www.pbase.com/lmatson
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr
http://www.howardmyerslaw.com

fongg
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?

Tiger1 wrote:

Actually, I just got back from 4 days in Suzhou China.  Never once did I extinguish a battery while out shooting!  I was VERY surprised at that.  I was able to keep it under 100 shots at a time.  I had 3 batteries with me but never needed the two spares.

One helping factor was that I shoot a LOT of film still and so spend time with my medium format camera.  I shot about 15 rolls of film over 3 days or so.  That helped keep my DP2M going.

-- hide signature --

Sorry, can't get you exactly ... How did you manage to take 100 shots with 1 battery? Please explain a bit more ... Did you have the screen off and use a viewfinder? How did you set your auto screen off? ... I can only manage to take 40 shots with 1 battery ...

fongg's gear list:fongg's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS 7D Leica M9-P Fujifilm X-T1
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to fongg, Apr 30, 2013

fongg wrote:

Tiger1 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Sorry, can't get you exactly ... How did you manage to take 100 shots with 1 battery? Please explain a bit more ... Did you have the screen off and use a viewfinder? How did you set your auto screen off? ... I can only manage to take 40 shots with 1 battery ...

Wow....only 40?  That's amazing.  My screen was on although I dont have image review turned on.  I am careful not to leave the camera on when not shooting.  I dont chimp much.

I am guessing at the total number of images.  It might be as low as 75 but it was surely not over 100.

My batteries are pretty new, only a few months old.

-- hide signature --

Oliver_B
Contributing MemberPosts: 813Gear list
Like?

I just started a thread on the topic

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51382725

Oliver_B's gear list:Oliver_B's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP3 Merrill
fongg
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?

fongg wrote:

Tiger1 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Wow....only 40?  That's amazing.  My screen was on although I dont have image review turned on.  I am careful not to leave the camera on when not shooting.  I dont chimp much.

I am guessing at the total number of images.  It might be as low as 75 but it was surely not over 100.

My batteries are pretty new, only a few months old.

-- hide signature --

Seems like the same setting as I have ... I have preview off and auto screen set to the minimum time. My battery is even newer. Maybe it is because I preview shots I take right after each shot, even I have preview off. Anyway, I've got an external battery with a "fake battery" connector. That should resolve the issue.

fongg's gear list:fongg's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS 7D Leica M9-P Fujifilm X-T1
Oliver_B
Contributing MemberPosts: 813Gear list
Like?

Ah well, welcome to the club

Look at the bright side: You will save oodles of money. In the future, every time you are tempted by a new Bayer cam for its frills, bells and whistles, speed, high-iso goodness and whatnot, just find a sample picture. View it at 50% and be sceptical for its generall liflessness. View it at 100% – and be safe. The mush, the mush…

Oliver_B's gear list:Oliver_B's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP3 Merrill
Boris Moscow
Contributing MemberPosts: 784
Like?
Same "problem" here my friend!

Though I own currently the SD15 and DP1x and planning to get DP3M soon, my used to be loved Panasonic three cameras are no longer in use (and two of them have been sold already), nor I enjoy pictures from any, let me repeat any, Bayer cameras the way it used to be.

Buying a Foveon camera, "just to try it out" and "as a second camera only", turned my life around.

-- hide signature --

'Life is something that happens to you while you're making other plans'.
M. Millar

SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oliver_B, Apr 30, 2013

Oliver_B wrote:

Ah well, welcome to the club

Look at the bright side: You will save oodles of money. In the future, every time you are tempted by a new Bayer cam for its frills, bells and whistles, speed, high-iso goodness and whatnot, just find a sample picture. View it at 50% and be sceptical for its generall liflessness. View it at 100% – and be safe. The mush, the mush…

My current situation: I've been shooting with a SD15 a lot for the past months, trying to decide which lenses to take for it on a May-June trip. Hadn't been using the DP2Merrill much. SD15 is nice in color, output from the camera needs little editing in SPP. SD15 will be my DSLR, I'm leaving the Canon 5DII at home.

I also just bought a "16MP" Nikon Coolpix AW100, little orange point & shoot which is waterproof... and thus for my intended usages, sand, dirt and moisture proof. Talk about bells and whistles.... "modes" "scenes" no RAW, no aperture priority control which is annoying... and often funky colors. But it will serve its purpose, in conditions where I wouldn't use the DP2Merrill or DSLR.

Bottom line on image quality: look at some of my examples on flickr. Nikon seems to have good leaf, blades of grass, foliage capture, but surfaces are plastic looking when you examine side by side with similar Sigma shots. No 'depth' or sense of roundness for example on subjects such as tulips.. flat. I showed husband on-screen views of in-cam DP2Merrill vs Nikon AW100 JPEGs yesterday and he picked out the Sigma every time.
I'm back to being pleasantly shocked by the sharpness and detail and apparent "depth" of the DP2Merrill... though I've had it since last August. I'm shooting it as a starting point at ISO100, +.3EV, spot or center area metering usually, sometimes evaluative. I process only in SPP, and I start off with standard colormode and often change to landscape on my... landscapes and florals.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current, new DP2Merrill photos)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Jim Funston
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?

rattymouse.......that is a very common complaint with Merrill users!

I truly feel if Sigma had a slr with a merrill sensor that could give excellent results at iso's up to  1600 and some excellent glass to pair with it (at the same level as the DP2m's glass to sensor pairing) Sigma would jump far up the photographic food chain to become one of the top sellers. I know I would sell every other camera I own and go "all in with Sigma" IF that SLR system existed. Right, now sadly it doesn't but I feel it soon may. One can see Sigma is "getting it" and wants to become a major player in the IQ department.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,631Gear list
Like?

rattymouse wrote:

Sigh.........

-- hide signature --

Well, that's why they make a DP-1M!

And when you need a longer lens, well....  

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
brittonx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,387Gear list
Like?

rattymouse wrote:

Sigh.........

-- hide signature --

Thank you for sharing this.

While not everyone experiences what you describe, several do... including myself.

I am willing to put up with all the challenges shooting with Sigma brings in order to get the images I get.  There is no turning back for me :^)

-- hide signature --
 brittonx's gear list:brittonx's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
One River
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?

Ha ha! Yep I know the feeling.

I've been tempted recently to pick up a used X-100, although more for the handling and shooting experience. But from what is on flickr, it doesn't do color as well at base ISO.

The ultimate camera would be a foveon sensor in the body of an X-100, even with base ISO implications.

Boris Moscow
Contributing MemberPosts: 784
Like?
In reply to One River, Apr 30, 2013

One River wrote:

Ha ha! Yep I know the feeling.

The ultimate camera would be a foveon sensor in the body of an X-100,

It certainly wouldn't look like this

-- hide signature --

'Life is something that happens to you while you're making other plans'.
M. Millar

Hardy Steiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959
Like?
In reply to Jim Funston, Apr 30, 2013

If one sticks with recent Sigma prime lenses the results are very good with the SD1. All the macro prime lenses are excellent, and the Sigma 50mm and 85mm 1.4 are very good as well. On the wide end, the 20mm f1.8 is a solid performer (and so is the 28mm), but these ones could do with an update (especially to AF).

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads