Fuji X20 review posted

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,434Gear list
Like?
Re: Comments section of X20 review - X20 out-resolves everything
In reply to SHood, Apr 30, 2013

SHood wrote:

The LX7 and other Bayer sensor compact will show much better results using RAW and ACR.  The DPR studio comarision clearly shows this.  Comparing the X20/Silkypix with LX7(etc)/ACR would be a better comparison.

What makes you think that?

But I do find the LX7 sensor to be noisier than the X20 sensor, even at base ISO.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Trevor G
Like?
In reply to DS21, Apr 30, 2013

DS21 wrote:

In a wider photographic community Silkypix will never become a mainstream player, or even anything more then anecdotal in numbers, so its eventual excellence with X20 files is a moot point for most advanced users. They will NOT develop a second workflow just because of X20, or switch their "serious" APS-C, 4/3 or FF cameras they certainly have (as most likely buyers of enthusiast X20) to Silkypix.

Then they will lose, won't they?

I changed to Silkypix for all my cameras.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Trevor G
Like?
Re: Fuji X20 review posted and it out-resolves everything
In reply to AdamT, Apr 30, 2013

AdamT wrote:

I`ll leave you to your deliberately biased results Trevor - you`re famous for it , you even skew Fuji vs Fuji tests

That's worth a yawn, Adam T.

Funny how you cannot actually show bias, because all images have been processed at default settings in the same tool.

That eliminates bias and error.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Trevor G
Like?
In reply to AdamT, Apr 30, 2013

AdamT wrote:

- comparing your heavily skewed silkypix developments is pointless, you do it so often that no one takes your tests seriouly anymore

Ho ho - skewed in what way, Adam T?

Baseless allegations with no substance...

Even DPR show a remarkable difference in IQ between the X10 and the X20.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,603Gear list
Like?
In reply to Trevor G, Apr 30, 2013

Trevor G wrote:

DS21 wrote:

In a wider photographic community Silkypix will never become a mainstream player, or even anything more then anecdotal in numbers, so its eventual excellence with X20 files is a moot point for most advanced users. They will NOT develop a second workflow just because of X20, or switch their "serious" APS-C, 4/3 or FF cameras they certainly have (as most likely buyers of enthusiast X20) to Silkypix.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Fuji X20 market acceptance among RAW shooting enthusiasts is the one to lose in this case. The company must be much bigger and better then Fuji to successfully swim against the tide (or even try to reverse it). X10 soldiered good enough with decent JPEG's (so more people were content with just Fuji colors and JPEG), what will the X20 JPEG's do for the X20?

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,281
Like?
F200EXR vs Fuji X20, studio scene
In reply to Jeff Keller, Apr 30, 2013

Here is an easy way to compare the X20 with the great old F200EXR. Most of the items in the studio scene are the same, except the glob changed. Resolution is similar.

F200EXR at ISO 100

X20 at ISO 100, the whole scene

CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,281
Like?
X-Trans advantage at high ISO only

Trevor G wrote:

Even on APS-C, the advantages of X-Trans are only visible at high ISO, and when I look at most of my good images, they are mostly taken at low ISO.

Do you really think so?

Both images are RAW ISO100 processed at default settings in Silkypix 5.  What do you think?

I was comparing JPEG. I think I would never use Silkypix, and am even resistant to using Corel Aftershot, which is the only commercial Raw processor that runs on Linux. (I am hoping to avoid Windows for the rest of my life.)

This thread is full of people who have an X20 and like it, so I am happy for them, but in some ways it does not really seem like a big improvement over the F200EXR.

SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,915Gear list
Like?

Trevor G wrote:

SHood wrote:

The LX7 and other Bayer sensor compact will show much better results using RAW and ACR.  The DPR studio comarision clearly shows this.  Comparing the X20/Silkypix with LX7(etc)/ACR would be a better comparison.

What makes you think that?

I prefer to compare best against best.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,915Gear list
Like?

Trevor G wrote:

DS21 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Based on the the SilkyPix Raw conversions you have provided today from various small sensor compacts, ACR/LR does a much better job converting these RAW files.  Just compare your SilkyPix RAW conversions from any of the Bayer small sensors to the RAW output in the DPR studio that comes from ACR.  The DPR studio results shows a lot more detail from these sensors.

It looks like SilkyPix was been customized for Fuji sensors where as ACR has been fine tuned for the Bayer sensor.  Unfortunately, the vast majority of cameras still use a Bayer sensor so switching to SilkyPix for all our own cameras is not a good proposition.  And switching between software doesn't help with workflow.  Some people might be able to compromise but others will stick with the majority of cameras that have a similar work flow.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
DebraR
Contributing MemberPosts: 858
Like?
Re: Fuji X20 has inherent too many..
currently available for no more than $499, maybe less.

Where have you seen the X20 for $499?  I haven't seen the price go down at all since release.

-- hide signature --

Debra
Nikon D700, D300, Hexar AF, D70, N90 Oly C-5050 and an UZI!

tazmac
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mr Sincere, Apr 30, 2013

Mr Sincere wrote:

Just echoing what DS21 said so well:

Hurray for you and Silkypix, but back here in the real world we have thousands of photos and years of experience invested in an established workflow, which more often than not uses ACR as the RAW converter.  A comparison using Silkypix might be informative at an academic level, but has zero real world application to many, if not most of us.

So, thanks for doing these comparisons (they really are interesting), but please don't act like those comparing the ACR output are somehow unfarily shortchanging the x20 sensor.  We're comparing using the tools that we'll be using to process the RAW files, which is the most practical way to make the comparison.

Back to he debate at hand, using Lightroom 4.4 (and all sorts of sharpening/NR combos), I just can't convince myself that the x20 output is better than the lx7, at any ISO.  Which is honestly a bummer for me, as I'm completely infatuated with the x20, but can't justify spending $300 more on something that probably has lesser image quality once you factor in the stop faster lens of the lx7 (on the wide end).

See you in the panasonic cc talk...

tazmac
Like?
Thank you Jeff!
In reply to Jeff Keller, Apr 30, 2013
No text.
tazmac
Like?
Re: Fuji X20 has inherent too many..
In reply to ttan98, Apr 30, 2013

ttan98 wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

ttan98 wrote:

Don't regret not buying it, at retail price of $599, it is not cheap,

currently available for no more than $499, maybe less.

I think potential buyers should either wait for the next firmware upgrade that will fix all if not majority of these quirks OR the next model, X30?

Quirks?

Quirks come from the Cons reviewed by DPreview, I will NOT accepts quirks such as smearing of Jpeg(serious one), Noise at low ISO if NR=0(serious), Jpeg is not really up to standard, others are minor quirks most can be fixed via firmware upgrade. I will not pay $499 or $599 with these quirks.

Recently I bought a run out model, EP-3 for $345(retail when new for $999), absent of major/serious quirks. All the earlier models EP-1, EP2 and EPL-1 have far too major serious quirks.

If you are happy with the quirks that's fine too. It's your money after all.

I love it.

But then, I also loved the X10, until the X20 came along.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Enjoy your camera!

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X20 review posted

Looks significantly better than what Adobe produced. Crazy.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
giuseppe pepperoni
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
In reply to Viramati, Apr 30, 2013

I think much more of my x20 when I'm out using it instead of reading others' opinions.

It's hard to take a picture when you're in front of a keyboard.

Sir Corey of Deane
Contributing MemberPosts: 679Gear list
Like?
In reply to giuseppe pepperoni, Apr 30, 2013

+1.

Robert.

Sir Corey of Deane's gear list:Sir Corey of Deane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Kodak EasyShare CX7300 Kodak EasyShare CX7430 Kodak EasyShare P880 +8 more
Danielepaolo
Senior MemberPosts: 4,253
Like?

Trevor G wrote:

AdamT wrote:

I`ll leave you to your deliberately biased results Trevor - you`re famous for it , you even skew Fuji vs Fuji tests

That's worth a yawn, Adam T.

Funny how you cannot actually show bias, because all images have been processed at default settings in the same tool.

That eliminates bias and error.

It most likely does exactly the opposite, there are posts in this thread that show you are incorrect. You are using default settings which is lazy and defeats the purpose of processing RAW files. You are better off just comparing JPG files because you make no attempt to get the best out of the file, i.e. what someone attempts to do when they work in RAW.

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

Danielepaolo
Senior MemberPosts: 4,253
Like?
Re: Fuji X20 has inherent too many fine details for some

Trevor G wrote:

ttan98 wrote:

Quirks come from the Cons reviewed by DPreview, I will NOT accepts quirks such as smearing of Jpeg(serious one),

Lol.

You turn NR back to -2.  That works well for JPEGs.  It's not perfect, but the detail should still be better, far better than the X10, for example.

Noise at low ISO if NR=0(serious),

Noise at ISO100 is awful (I love hyperbole) but I don't mind it when I see all the detail the other cameras miss.

If you are happy with the quirks that's fine too. It's your money after all.

I guess English is your second language, so I am not critcising you when I say that "quirk" is not the correct word for these two things. We would normally use the word "flaw."

Flaw he is most likely reserving for describing your tests, quirks is perfectly acceptable for what he is describing in comparison to your tests. His English is fine.

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

xchert
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
Re: Fuji X20 review
In reply to Danielepaolo, Apr 30, 2013

Thanks for the very good review.  The only part I don't follow is the comment about being able to keep the NR set high without drawbacks.  I've set mine to NR -2 and I think the JPEG output is improved.

Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,705Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X20 review
In reply to xchert, Apr 30, 2013

Great review.   Excellent detailed images in samples, I pixel peeped at 100% and they are in line with the sharp and excellent images I am getting.   Up to ISO800 excellent results, ISO1600 if necessary.  The best point-and-shoot on the market Today.    I used to own Sony RX100 last year.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads