Hi all, just letting you know that our Fujifilm X20 review is now online at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x20/

Enjoy,
Jeff

-- hide signature --

Jeff Keller
Senior Editor, DPReview.com

Jeff Keller's gear list:Jeff Keller's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
udris
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: Fuji X20 review posted
In reply to Jeff Keller, Apr 30, 2013

I was hoping that it would give the sony RX100 but image  results are somewhat mediocre. The no frills image samples on dpr are a good indicator if there is  something special with a camera's sensor lens combination alas there is none. I am sure it will handle better have some of that soul that people rabbit on about but image is important so my sony stays as a P&S camera, damn I was hoping to get rid of the clunky little begger

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KimberlyC
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,095Gear list
Like?

Thanks Jeff, a good review.  

KimberlyC's gear list:KimberlyC's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P2 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-P3 Samsung NX210 Samsung NX30 +6 more
wexie
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
In reply to KimberlyC, Apr 30, 2013

+1

ttan98
Senior MemberPosts: 1,053
Like?
Re: Fuji X20 has inherent too many..

quirks as reported by DPreview reviewer and many users/owners.

Don't regret not buying it, at retail price of $599, it is not cheap, I think potential buyers should either wait for the next firmware upgrade that will fix all if not majority of these quirks OR the next model, X30?

JagK
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?

Great review BTW, makes things crystal clear.

I have the xz-1, the little wonder keeps on delivering image after image.

Always look at new cameras to see if it is worth doing an upgrade. Will pass on this one, the difference is not worth it from my perspective and use case.

For new buyers it may be a good buy.

ttan98
Like?
In reply to JagK, Apr 30, 2013

JagK wrote:

Great review BTW, makes things crystal clear.

I have the xz-1, the little wonder keeps on delivering image after image.

When ISO exceeds 400 XZ-1's images fall apart.

Always look at new cameras to see if it is worth doing an upgrade. Will pass on this one, the difference is not worth it from my perspective and use case.

For new buyers it may be a good buy.

Wait for 6-12 months when Fuji fixes  most of the quirks with firmware upgrade, the retail would have fallen by then it may be attractive to buy in.

JagK
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to ttan98, Apr 30, 2013

On the xz-1 ISO 400 images are fine when viewed at full size, if you zoom down or enlarge it is probably true. To be frank the fast lens gets you out of most sticky situations.

It comes down to the use case but for most generic situations it works fine. For well lit shots you can keep zooming in the image, excellent IQ.

Hoping for a fast and high quality lens, large sensor with DSLR like quick auto focus and image capture in the future.

Really miss the sub second switch on and fire off a shot before the subject can blink DSLR capability on compacts. You see a smile you want and you can capture it, most compacts are too slow today to allow that.

Gaze
Contributing MemberPosts: 627
Like?
In reply to ttan98, Apr 30, 2013

If/When Fuji has a firmware upgrade for the X20 will there be another DPreview review?

And what version does the X20 have now?  Where is it to be found in the menu?

CAcreeks
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,848
Like?
what about dynamic range?

jeffkeller wrote:

No dynamic range testing. Unless I missed it or editors added it later, just a remark in the conclusion about highlight clipping.

Compared to the Canon G15, the X20 seems not quite as good at base ISO, but shows increasing advantage at higher ISO, especially in Raw conversions.

Seems to me that Fuji needs to work on the JPEG engine above ISO 1600, where is looks somewhat worse than the G15, contrary to the Raw conversions.

My bottom line assessment is that I might as well get M43 - it is about the same price and performs better. Optical viewfinders are useless to me.

Luc de Schepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?

A good review Jeff, thanks. I concur with the conclusion. As I've noticed earlier the X20 excels in close and mid-range shooting. The smudging of (distant) fine details is a real annoyance, Fuji should adress this issue asap.

ttan98
Like?
Re: what about dynamic range?
In reply to CAcreeks, Apr 30, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

jeffkeller wrote:

No dynamic range testing. Unless I missed it or editors added it later, just a remark in the conclusion about highlight clipping.

Compared to the Canon G15, the X20 seems not quite as good at base ISO, but shows increasing advantage at higher ISO, especially in Raw conversions.

Seems to me that Fuji needs to work on the JPEG engine above ISO 1600, where is looks somewhat worse than the G15, contrary to the Raw conversions.

My bottom line assessment is that I might as well get M43 - it is about the same price and performs better. Optical viewfinders are useless to me.

I bought an EP-3 instead very good value now, ISO800 Jpeg images are very acceptable. The EP-3 costs me only $345 incl kit lens, retail price when it was released was $999.

More impt. EP-3 has NO MAJOR/SERIOUS quirks.

Luc de Schepper
Like?
Re: what about dynamic range?

CAcreeks wrote:

jeffkeller wrote:

The benefit of the M43's greater sensor is however lost with the slow, lower quality and less focal range M43 kit lenses.

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,828Gear list
Like?

JPGs are smear city and RAW in ACR Doesn`t looks very soft at low ISOs compared to the G15 and The Oly XZ2 - the 10Mp CCD cams like the G11 and the incredibly sharp Samsung EX1 will eat this thing for breakfast for resolution in current RAW converters .......

Maybe they should have fixed the X10 after all and kept EXR because X-Trans doesn`t seem to work in sensors smaller than APS-C (and I`m not convinced about the X100 vs X100S comparison either especially in JPG) Fuji need to stop mucking about, Nikon managed to remove AA fiters without wrecking the images afterwards (especially with the D7100) the tiny pixel pitch of even a 24Mp APS-C let alone a 2/3" reduces Moire issues in itself.

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
CAcreeks
Like?
Re: what are you, a shill?
In reply to Luc de Schepper, Apr 30, 2013

Luc de Schepper wrote:

The benefit of the M43's greater sensor is however lost with the slow, lower quality and less focal range M43 kit lenses.

A Lumix 28-70/2.8 (crop equivalent) lens is available, and many M43 primes are faster than that, so why are you being so disingenuous? The primes are available cheap cheap CHEAP on craigslist and e*bay. Some of the Lumix primes are to die for.

I think the Japanese camera industry is really messed up because every vendor comes up with a new lens mount, for no apparent reason, except the M43 consortium. The world does not need XF mount.

CAcreeks
Like?
In reply to AdamT, Apr 30, 2013

AdamT wrote:

Maybe they should have fixed the X10 after all and kept EXR because X-Trans doesn`t seem to work in sensors smaller than APS-C...

I agree.

Even on APS-C, the advantages of X-Trans are only visible at high ISO, and when I look at most of my good images, they are mostly taken at low ISO.

But maybe that is because I do not have an X-Trans sensor!

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,828Gear list
Like?

Even on APS-C, the advantages of X-Trans are only visible at high ISO

And that`s nothing to do with X-Trans, that`s the actual base sensor used - in the case of the X pro, X100S etc, it`s the excellent D7000/K5 sensor which is low noise to start with - I bet the X20 with a standard bayer map and no AA would be sharper than anything we`ve seen from the X-Trans as it is ..

I`ve seen Trevor-G`s Muso comparison and the X20 and X10 and I bet a G15 or P7700 would beat them easily, the X20 may be sharper than His  X10 shot and development but in the big scheme of things, it`s softer than the G11/12, P7000/7700 and than even my crappyold S6500 is in JPG

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Fred Hilger
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?

Hi there,

why did the Fuji X20 get a Silver Award with 77 %. and the Canon G15 a Gold Award with 76 % in the dpreview rating system?

best regards

Fred

Fred Hilger's gear list:Fred Hilger's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Luc de Schepper
Like?
Re: what are you, a shill?

CAcreeks wrote:

Luc de Schepper wrote:

A Lumix 28-70/2.8 (crop equivalent) lens is available, and many M43 primes are faster than that, so why are you being so disingenuous? The primes are available cheap cheap CHEAP on craigslist and e*bay. Some of the Lumix primes are to die for.

I think the Japanese camera industry is really messed up because every vendor comes up with a new lens mount, for no apparent reason, except the M43 consortium. The world does not need XF mount.

I know about the Lumix 24-70 (not 28-70), I've shot with one. It's nice but expensive and adds to the overall form factor. About the primes, I like them especially the Oly 12mm, 45mm and 75mm. But again, it adds to the overall price and swithching primes can be inconvenient at times. I like the fact the X20 is a good (not perfect) light travel camera. Comparing a M43 system (camera plus lenses) with the X20 is like comparing apples and oranges. There's nothing wrong with the M43 standard though, although I prefer shooting in 3:2 and 16:9 ratio. If I want higher quality than the X20 I use my X100 or Nikon full frame. To each his own.

Viramati
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?

Good review

he does talk about the DR system on page 6 under features and recommends not going above 200%. I agree about the jpegs but I find the RAW files to be very good and not bad  at high iso. Luckily I am a RAW only shooter and with a few presets in Lr4 I feel that I am getting some very good results. Overall I am very happy with the camera, I love the OVF which for me is essential and there is no other compact that can match it in this department. The shutter is silent and auto-focus is really very fast. Allin all a fantastic little street camera.

-- hide signature --

David
www.dpsampson.zenfolio.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viramati/

Viramati's gear list:Viramati's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Sony Alpha 7 II Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads