Should I get the Oly 75mm?

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions
Rjansenbr2
Regular MemberPosts: 197Gear list
Like?
Should I get the Oly 75mm?
Apr 29, 2013

Probably there is someone in the same situation.

I have an OM-D and have been using the 45mm 1.8 as a portrait lens. I really like it, but now wonder if I should also get the Oly 75mm.

My concern is if it will really make a night and day difference in comparison with the 45mm, specially in terms of shallow DOF and overall quality for portraits (mainly of my newborn daughter, who is now the inevitable model of all my pics). Do you think the FOV is too awkward?

After all, the USD 900 price tag isn´t that cheap for family photos...

Anyone has experience with both lenses?

Regards

Rjansenbr2's gear list:Rjansenbr2's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Fred K
Regular MemberPosts: 227
Like?
Re: Should I get the Oly 75mm?
In reply to Rjansenbr2, Apr 29, 2013

The 45mm is a very good lens.  The 75mm is absolutely superb.  But it is the equivalent of 150mm, so you need a big room.

-- hide signature --

Dr Fred Kavalier
London UK and Wellfleet, MA
www.kavalier.org.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rjansenbr2
Like?
In reply to Fred K, Apr 29, 2013

Fred K wrote:

The 45mm is a very good lens.  The 75mm is absolutely superb.  But it is the equivalent of 150mm, so you need a big room.

-- hide signature --

Dr Fred Kavalier
London UK and Wellfleet, MA
www.kavalier.org.uk

The size of the room may be a problem... But I don´t have any camera with the same FOV to test here...

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
zabatman
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?

YES

zabatman's gear list:zabatman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +14 more
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,386Gear list
Like?

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

I have an OM-D and have been using the 45mm 1.8 as a portrait lens. I really like it, but now wonder if I should also get the Oly 75mm.

My concern is if it will really make a night and day difference in comparison with the 45mm, specially in terms of shallow DOF and overall quality for portraits (mainly of my newborn daughter, who is now the inevitable model of all my pics). Do you think the FOV is too awkward?

I have both and highly recommend both. But I didn't buy the 75 because it would give me noticeably better portraits than the 45. The 45 works better for head-and-shoulder portraits indoors in an ordinary room. The 75 is too long for that. You need a hall rather than a room or to be outdoors.

But whenever you need/want to shoot at such a distance that the 45 gives insufficient magnification, the 75 fits the bill, e.g., stage performances of any kind or stealthy street shooting. When you really want/need to maximize background blur, it is also superior to the 45. While DoF is roughly the same at the same magnification, the longer FoV means you magnify the background more, which in turn makes it appear more blurred.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,561Gear list
Like?

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Regards

I haven't used either lens but the initial advice would be to try some framing using the 40-150mm set at 75mm or the 14-42mm set at 37~38mm and 2x digital tele converter on. That way you would get a feel for how far back you need to be for the framing wanted. Try that on both your daughter and some adults.

Longer lenses tend to put you back "out of touch" with the subject, particularly if there's other people and distractions around.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Rjansenbr2
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 29, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

I have both and highly recommend both. But I didn't buy the 75 because it would give me noticeably better portraits than the 45. The 45 works better for head-and-shoulder portraits indoors in an ordinary room. The 75 is too long for that. You need a hall rather than a room or to be outdoors.

But whenever you need/want to shoot at such a distance that the 45 gives insufficient magnification, the 75 fits the bill, e.g., stage performances of any kind or stealthy street shooting. When you really want/need to maximize background blur, it is also superior to the 45. While DoF is roughly the same at the same magnification, the longer FoV means you magnify the background more, which in turn makes it appear more blurred.

Anders, thanks for the input. How far from the subject you have to be for a head and shoulds shot with the 75mm?

Rjansenbr2
Like?
In reply to Guy Parsons, Apr 29, 2013

Guy Parsons wrote:

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Regards

I haven't used either lens but the initial advice would be to try some framing using the 40-150mm set at 75mm or the 14-42mm set at 37~38mm and 2x digital tele converter on. That way you would get a feel for how far back you need to be for the framing wanted. Try that on both your daughter and some adults.

Longer lenses tend to put you back "out of touch" with the subject, particularly if there's other people and distractions around.

Regards.... Guy

Great idea! I'll test with the 2x digital zoom.

neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,899
Like?

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Regards

Hi

Is it something you think you NEED?   What about buying a cheap legacy lens...lots of 85mm 1.8 type lenses available and they are all pretty much good lenses.

That way you can see if it is something you really want.

i have neither the 45 or 75 but love my Canon FD 85 1.2.     This is almost as much as a 75 and manual focus but 1.5 stops faster and easily adapted to other formats.

Some 85mm 1.8/f2 manual focus lenses go for peanuts (if you are lucky)....adapters can be cheap.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26884588@N00/

BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?

I rented the 75mm for a recent trip.  It's an interesting focal length to work with.  You really do need some distance between you and your subject.  This is a WAG, but I'd say the best portraits were obtained from something like 20-30 feet away.  The lens is wonderfully sharp and gives nice subject isolation.  I don't have access to the original of this picture from this computer, so please excuse the crappy Facebook copy with all its compression and artifacts.  Nevertheless, you can see what the lens can do for candid portraits.  Good stuff.  If I had $900 to burn, I'd buy it.

EDIT: FWIW, I also own the PL25.  I love that lens.  One of my favorites.  But the 75mm is a lot sharper.  You can see that immediately once you start using it.  I don't find the 75's rendering to be particularly good or bad -- the PL25 frankly feels more special in that regard.  But the 75mm is razor sharp.

Rjansenbr2
Like?
In reply to neil holmes, Apr 29, 2013

neil holmes wrote:

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Regards

Hi

Is it something you think you NEED?   What about buying a cheap legacy lens...lots of 85mm 1.8 type lenses available and they are all pretty much good lenses.

i have neither the 45 or 75 but love my Canon FD 85 1.2.     This is almost as much as a 75 and manual focus but 1.5 stops faster and easily adapted to other formats.

Some 85mm 1.8/f2 manual focus lenses go for peanuts (if you are lucky)....adapters can be cheap.

I don´t really need it... I could do fine with the 45mm... But maybe I am loosing more than I know.

I wouldn´t mind using legacy lenses, but just don´t know where I can get a good one. I live in Brazil and the availability of used lenses is not so easy...

Anders W
Like?

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Anders, thanks for the input. How far from the subject you have to be for a head and shoulds shot with the 75mm?

We're talking three to four meters. With your newborn daughter, you'd be able to go closer but I think you would usually be better off with the 45 even for her. Once she starts to toddle around outdoors, the 75 will come in handy though.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Rjansenbr2
Like?
In reply to BingoCharlie, Apr 29, 2013

BingoCharlie wrote:

I rented the 75mm for a recent trip.  It's an interesting focal length to work with.  You really do need some distance between you and your subject.  This is a WAG, but I'd say the best portraits were obtained from something like 20-30 feet away.  The lens is wonderfully sharp and gives nice subject isolation.  I don't have access to the original of this picture from this computer, so please excuse the crappy Facebook copy with all its compression and artifacts.  Nevertheless, you can see what the lens can do for candid portraits.  Good stuff.  If I had $900 to burn, I'd buy it.

I can afford the USD 900, but want to make a conscious decision... Don´t want to buy it and leave it aside, using the 45mm instead (which I already have)...

Great pic, BTW!

Rjansenbr2
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 29, 2013

Guess I better wait a bit then!

shihhan
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Regards

Do you need the reach of 150mm (equiv.)? If not, stick to the 45mm.

Do you absolutely need a prime with f1.8 aperture? If not, get the 35-100/2.8.

For family photos, 45mm would be more than enough, for group shots, I'd go wider really.

Yohan Pamudji
Senior MemberPosts: 2,866
Like?

You need a lot of working space to use the 75mm indoors.  I think the 45mm will be a better bet for now.  Once she starts walking around and playing outside the 75mm will definitely come into play more.

Anders W
Like?

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Regards

Hi

I don´t really need it... I could do fine with the 45mm... But maybe I am loosing more than I know.

I wouldn´t mind using legacy lenses, but just don´t know where I can get a good one. I live in Brazil and the availability of used lenses is not so easy...

Legacy 85s aren't all that cheap, especially if they are of good optical quality and in good shape. Not all that many people bought 85s in the past (135 mm was far more popular) so the supply is hardly huge. I paid about USD 300 for the Minolta MD 85/2 I bought and used with MFT before the 75/1.8 became available. Perhaps you can get away with slightly less for a Canon FD 85/1.8 but not a whole lot less.

Many of the legacy 85s are indeed pretty good lenses. But time has moved on and these lenses are optimized for a bigger sensor (aka 35 mm film). At really wide apertures, their performance on MFT is nowhere close to that of the 75/1.8.

Where to get them if you are interested? Unless you get lucky with some local dealer, ebay is a good place to start. Just make sure you take the usual precautions.

Rjansenbr2
Like?
In reply to shihhan, Apr 29, 2013

shihhan wrote:

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Regards

Do you need the reach of 150mm (equiv.)? If not, stick to the 45mm.

Do you absolutely need a prime with f1.8 aperture? If not, get the 35-100/2.8.

For family photos, 45mm would be more than enough, for group shots, I'd go wider really.

The 35-100 is 600 dollars more expensive... and I really like the f.1.8 aperture. Both lenses would be nice

drawbridge
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
If you have the money get the 75!

The 75mm is the best lens I've ever used.  I also have the 45mm and I like it but the 75mm is going to give you some advantages well worth considering...

First, it's just so incredibly sharp that images taken with it really stand out.  The 45 is sharp but there's a difference and you don't need to study test shots to see it.

Second, the added focal length gives you the option of selecting a much shallower depth of field.  So many images from this lens end up with a great sense of depth due to the relationships between the in and out of focus objects in the picture.

Third, the 75mm doubles as a solid sports lens.  Remember M43 75mm is 150mm equivalent in full frame.  Combined with it's 1.8 aperture, it can take some quality sports shots, even indoors.  (Now if only these M43 cameras will get better at focus tracking.)

Finally, you can take more candid portrait shots of people because you get the right framing from a greater distance.  It's great for street photography but I also find it especially useful with small children as they are easily distracted by a grownup holding a camera in their face.  You can shoot intimate portraits from across the yard or the room.  Move in closer and you can get amazing images where the subject covers the entire frame.  Imagine closeups of faces, fingers, etc.

The 45mm will still serve you well at times when the 75mm can't get the full subject in view because you're too close and there's a wall or something behind you.  But the 75mm is my go-to lens, and I actually think the pair complement one another nicely.

-Drawbridge

drawbridge's gear list:drawbridge's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Rjansenbr2
Like?
In reply to Yohan Pamudji, Apr 29, 2013

Yohan Pamudji wrote:

You need a lot of working space to use the 75mm indoors.  I think the 45mm will be a better bet for now.  Once she starts walking around and playing outside the 75mm will definitely come into play more.

Yeah, I'll probably wait!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads