Some Irish Scenary with my new XZ-1

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Photos
dorgs
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Some Irish Scenary with my new XZ-1
Apr 29, 2013

Hi all,

i'm new to the photography scene, but have really enjoyed trying out the XZ1 over the past few weeks. Love to hear your views/criticisms.

Thanks

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SW Anderson
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Re: Some Irish Scenary with my new XZ-1
In reply to dorgs, Apr 30, 2013

I really like the monochrome image with the ducks, apparently during a gale. It has a dark moodiness about it that's familiar and compelling. That said, I'm a bit puzzled by that photo and some of the others because what I'm seeing in the EXIF data doesn't fit with my experience shooting in the kinds of conditions shown.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dorgs
Like?
In reply to SW Anderson, Apr 30, 2013

SW Anderson wrote:

I really like the monochrome image with the ducks, apparently during a gale. It has a dark moodiness about it that's familiar and compelling. That said, I'm a bit puzzled by that photo and some of the others because what I'm seeing in the EXIF data doesn't fit with my experience shooting in the kinds of conditions shown.

Hi, glad you liked it. I did play around with that and a couple of the others after I took them, so maybe that would explain the diff EXIF data.

mariomirabile
Senior MemberPosts: 1,279Gear list
Like?
In reply to dorgs, Apr 30, 2013

You've got some interesting compositions in what looks like less than ideal light. I'd be inclined to exercise restraint with the dramatic tone filter though. It's a little heavy handed for my taste and from what I've seen it tends to destroy fine detail in shots.

Mario

Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,803Gear list
Like?
In reply to mariomirabile, Apr 30, 2013

mariomirabile wrote:

You've got some interesting compositions in what looks like less than ideal light. I'd be inclined to exercise restraint with the dramatic tone filter though. It's a little heavy handed for my taste and from what I've seen it tends to destroy fine detail in shots.

Mario

Mario

We were in Ireland last year and though I was using the EM5 most of the time. (My XZ-1 was a backup) But I really liked the way the Dramatic Tone filter - and the XZ-2 and the EM5 also have implemented a Black & White version of the Dramatic Tone in addition to the Grainy B&W filter - did a great job of making the cloudy and relatively dreary looking weather we had look much more interesting. (Not saying we never saw the sun in the 9 days there, but considering that our tour guides generally referred to the sun as either "a UFO" or an "optical illusion" you can see how often it did make an appearance.

To the OP - I like the shots with the filter. The other "normal" ones probably could have used a bit of post processing to brighten them up a bit. But the compositions of some of them are very interesting.

Steve

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
dorgs
Like?
In reply to Steven Wandy, May 1, 2013

Steven Wandy wrote:

mariomirabile wrote:

Mario

Mario

We were in Ireland last year and though I was using the EM5 most of the time. (My XZ-1 was a backup) But I really liked the way the Dramatic Tone filter - and the XZ-2 and the EM5 also have implemented a Black & White version of the Dramatic Tone in addition to the Grainy B&W filter - did a great job of making the cloudy and relatively dreary looking weather we had look much more interesting. (Not saying we never saw the sun in the 9 days there, but considering that our tour guides generally referred to the sun as either "a UFO" or an "optical illusion" you can see how often it did make an appearance.

To the OP - I like the shots with the filter. The other "normal" ones probably could have used a bit of post processing to brighten them up a bit. But the compositions of some of them are very interesting.

Steve

Tks Mario & Steve for your feedback. I will try and restrain my use of dramatic tone, as I agree it does reduce the finer details. However, as Steve points out I feel it can enhance the cloudy weather we've had lately. Anyhow, hopefully our 'summer' will come soon

Camediadude
Regular MemberPosts: 330
Like?
In reply to dorgs, May 5, 2013

Dorgs, these are stunning, thank you very much for sharing them! I have been wanting to go to Ireland so bad for the longest time, but now even more so after seeing your images. Such a mood you set in them ...

dorgs
Like?
In reply to Camediadude, May 6, 2013

Tks Camediadude, glad you liked them. I'm sure you'd have a great time if you ever do visit. All of these were taken in Cork, my local area.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads