Speedy photo browsing on Win 7

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions
philmcgee
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Speedy photo browsing on Win 7
Apr 29, 2013

I regularly browse folders containing several thousand JPEGs of typical resolutions of 800x1200 pixels. My PC runs Windows 7 on an Intel i7 with 8GB RAM and an Intel 520 series SSD, and my monitor is a Dell U2711 at 2560x1440. Graphics card is an AMD HD4650.

I was wondering if getting a faster graphics card would speed up browsing the thumbnails on full-screen at 'Extra Large Icons' settings? Is the time that it takes to repaint the thumbnails after a page-down more dependent on W7's reading the files in from disc on each page-down (rather than reading ahead and caching), or is the graphics card the bottleneck?

Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
glasswave
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,156Gear list
Like?
Re: Use image browsing software....
In reply to philmcgee, Apr 29, 2013

philmcgee wrote:

I regularly browse folders containing several thousand JPEGs of typical resolutions of 800x1200 pixels. My PC runs Windows 7 on an Intel i7 with 8GB RAM and an Intel 520 series SSD, and my monitor is a Dell U2711 at 2560x1440. Graphics card is an AMD HD4650.

I was wondering if getting a faster graphics card would speed up browsing the thumbnails on full-screen at 'Extra Large Icons' settings? Is the time that it takes to repaint the thumbnails after a page-down more dependent on W7's reading the files in from disc on each page-down (rather than reading ahead and caching), or is the graphics card the bottleneck?

I assume you are using my cptr/explorer instead of a special browsing SW.

I use Faststone (freeware) portable, which makes this process exponentially faster. It also offers some basic editing.

Some recommend fast picture viewer, but I thought it was terrible.

-- hide signature --

There is simply too much beauty in the world to photograph it all, but I'm trying.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shalom2006
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Re: Use image browsing software....
In reply to glasswave, Apr 29, 2013

I think you meant Faststone Image Viewer 1.8. (Found at http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm)

I also highly recommend it - very good at viewing images for pixel peeping!

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Steven
Chigwell, UK

Shalom2006's gear list:Shalom2006's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,805
Like?
Re: Speedy photo browsing on Win 7
In reply to philmcgee, Apr 29, 2013

Faststone is a very nice viewer but it is not fully color managed. If you have a calibrated display, Faststone will ignore your calibration profile. That's a showstopper for me.

I like FastPictureViewer which is fully color managed.

In fact, if you need color management it's probably the only game in town.

hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,757
Like?
In reply to malch, Apr 29, 2013

I use the FastPictureViewer codec on all my computers and also have Faststone and IrfanView on my desktop (I keep fooling around with them). They are all pretty good, but frankly, the fastest, low resource jpeg viewing program I've EVER seen is the old ACDSee v3.1 (yes, 3.1!). It even blazed on my old, old XP machine with a 1 gig processor and 1 gig of RAM. I still use it today.

PhotoMechanic is also pretty good, but higher resource use.

Michael Firstlight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,935Gear list
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, Apr 29, 2013

The fastest was CompUPic, but its defunct.  I run it anyhow on my Win7 64-bit rig with only occasional rendering issues, but I also run Faststone PictureViewer-  almost as simple and fast but not quite. CompUPic was very simple and I could never outrun it with my scroll wheel - it was that good.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +12 more
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,531
Like?
In reply to philmcgee, Apr 30, 2013

It sounds like you have thumbnail caching turned off.   If so, a faster graphics card won't help.   Instead - see this article about changing the setting of thumbnail caching on your system.

The article describes how to turn thumbnail caching OFF - you want to turn it ON, so instead of changing the setting described in the article to "ENABLED" you should set it to "DISABLED".

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,805
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, Apr 30, 2013

hotdog321 wrote:

PhotoMechanic is also pretty good, but higher resource use.

Not too shabby but kinda pricey for a viewer, at $150. Ouch!

hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,757
Like?
In reply to malch, Apr 30, 2013

Agree completely. But PhotoMechanic is very popular with editorial photographers to quickly do captions, editing, IDs and whatnot for publications. I've always had mixed feelings about it, but it is pretty standard in my industry.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads