Camera System?

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions
NC_grouch
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Camera System?
Apr 29, 2013

Which is the better camera system to go with? Canon or Nikon? Does one or the other have better lenses ? We all know that they try to out do each other in technology. Although I think Nikon is winning right now. Canon or Nikon which is better to build a system on? I've actually thought about going over to the other side.

Bruce Miller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,342
Like?
Re: Camera System?
In reply to NC_grouch, Apr 29, 2013

Each company sells millions of cameras a year. So, there are millions of folks who think Nikon is the best and millions of folks who think Canon is the best. This is probably the most honest answer you will get...

-- hide signature --

Bruce

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?

Also consider the Sonys. The Sony A57 in particular, because it is being sold at discounts all over, and is jam packed with features not found on any of the others. The lens collection is pretty decent. http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp Click on search without filling anything in. Close to 400 lenses to pick from. One would have to cherry pick real hard to fool one into thinking there is anything wrong with its lens collection. People try all the time.

Are you interested in taking any video and doing any fast shooting?

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,057Gear list
Like?

NC_grouch wrote:

Which is the better camera system to go with? Canon or Nikon? Does one or the other have better lenses ? We all know that they try to out do each other in technology. Although I think Nikon is winning right now. Canon or Nikon which is better to build a system on? I've actually thought about going over to the other side.

These are the two top brands.  Which is "best" depends on what you want and what you prefer.  Both companies sell close to the same amount of cameras and lenses.   Neither company puts a "bad" product out there or they would not be able to maintain anything close to the marketshare they have.  You can build a system with confidence using either brand.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +11 more
Virginia Bill
Contributing MemberPosts: 775Gear list
Like?

Neither is clearly better than the other for all customers. Their product lines are more alike than different, though each has strengths highlighted in reviews of their cameras; that's why some people use Canons, some use Nikons, and some of us even use other brands entirely. Your question is a reductive ploy which will do nothing more than provoke the fanboys (probably all of them).

Virginia Bill's gear list:Virginia Bill's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Leica X Vario Leica M8 Pentax K-5 +9 more
baloo_buc
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,916Gear list
Like?
 baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +12 more
123Mike
Like?
In reply to Bjorn_L, Apr 29, 2013

Bjorn_L wrote:

NC_grouch wrote:

These are the two top brands

No they're not. Sony is just as formidable a brand of cameras. In fact, they offer features that the others don't. We've covered this.

Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,614Gear list
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, Apr 29, 2013

123Mike wrote:

No they're not. Sony is just as formidable a brand of cameras. In fact, they offer features that the others don't. We've covered this.

OK, to adapt Bruce's original post:

"Each company sells millions of cameras a year. So, there are millions of folks who think Nikon is the best and millions of folks who think Canon is the best and somewhat fewer millions who think that Sony is the best and fewer millions still who think that Pentax is the best and several tens of thousands who KNOW that Leica is the best. This is probably the most honest answer you will get..."

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
123Mike
Like?
In reply to Chris R-UK, Apr 29, 2013

Chris R-UK wrote:

123Mike wrote:

OK, to adapt Bruce's original post:

"Each company sells millions of cameras a year. So, there are millions of folks who think Nikon is the best and millions of folks who think Canon is the best and somewhat fewer millions who think that Sony is the best and fewer millions still who think that Pentax is the best and several tens of thousands who KNOW that Leica is the best. This is probably the most honest answer you will get..."

Sure, but the facts that some or the cameras are capable of doing things that the others are not capable of, remains. For instance, the SLTs remain the only ones that handle auto focus during video properly. They also are the only ones that shoot at 10+ fps for under $1k, and do in-camera panorama stitching. No amount of opinions is going to change these facts.

Bjorn_L
Like?

123Mike wrote:

Bjorn_L wrote:

NC_grouch wrote:

These are the two top brands

Don't start this childish nonsense of yours in yet another thread.  Nikon and Canon are the top two brands both because they sell more stuff (by ALOT) but also because their systems are the largest and most complete.  Nikon and Canon both sell around 4 DSLRs for every similar camera Sony sells.

You are not just filling the thread with nonsense but are off-topic (trolling/flamebaiting) as well.

The question was a basic one.  Is X or Y better.  How did you answer his question?  You never did.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +11 more
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,614Gear list
Like?

Mike,

Don't go overboard.

You don't have to defend Sony at all costs.  We know that Sony makes good cameras.

The OP asked which was the best system, Canon or Nikon.  He got the answer that they both have good systems.  If you to throw in Sony, fine.  I don't have any objection.  Just don't behave like a fanboy.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,200Gear list
Like?

Basicly I don't think it will matter much both are good brands.

Go from your type of photography and compare lenses from both brands and find a body that mounts them.

If you have heavily invested in lenses you need to know if it's worth jumping ship.

IMO Canon has a better menu structure and ergonomics, Nikon has better performance with the crop sensors. Not sure if this applies to the FF body's as well.

Handling and lenses are for me the key factors.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
123Mike
Like?

Don't start this childish nonsense of yours in yet another thread.  Nikon and Canon are the top two brands both because they sell more stuff (by ALOT) but also because their systems are the largest and most complete.  Nikon and Canon both sell around 4 DSLRs for every similar camera Sony sells.

It's funny that every time you hear the word Sony, that you start a temper tantrum and so desperately try to project your superiority complex.

Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,357Gear list
Like?

NC_grouch wrote:

Both brands have a huge system of lenses and accessories to choose from which is a serious advantage over time. They take a tiered approach to this that no other manufacturer can afford to do yet. I know Nikon way better than Canon, but they are similar in this. For example, Nikon offers as brand new boxed glass:

• tier of professional f/2.8 zooms from 14 to 200mm
  • tier of f/4 professional zoom lenses from 16 to 400mm
  • tier of variable aperture consumer zooms from 18 to 400mm
  • tier of f/1.4 prime lenses from 24mm to 85mm
  • tier of f/1.8 - f/2 prime lenses from 28mm to 200mm (probably not yet complete)
  • tier of f/2.8 prime lenses from 14mm to 400mm
  • tier of macro lenses from 40mm to 200mm
  • tier of exotic super telephotos from 200mm to 800mm
  • tier of tilt shift perspective primes from 24mm to 85mm

Plus a lot of additional offerings in between for over 80 choices just from Nikon and not considering thrid party or no longer made choices. One can create a complete kit of quality lenses along whichever tier you can afford or which meets your needs.

Just looking at crop camera kit type zoom lenses alone over the past few years, we see several choices starting at 18mm.

• 18-55
  • 18-55 VR
  • 18-70
  • 18-105 VR
  • 18-135
  • 18-200 VR

Add to this a huge variety of accessories for various specialized applications and the fact that many third party providers only make for Nikon or Canon and you can begin to see what a real systems camera means and is the reason I switched from the excellent Pentax lineup in 1968 to Nikon. I still have an use Nikon glass I purchased back in those early days.

A lot of people don't know this but Nikon still makes a line of brand new manual focus AIS glass for their 35mm film and digital SLR cameras.

Then if you decide to go professional, only Nikon and Canon offer professional services worldwide with NPS and CPS where you can get expedited repair or a loaner if needed. Again, all part of an extensive systems level array.

Much of this might not be needed by the average novice just starting out, but if one considers the future, one might wish to consider this huge level of compatibility within the brand and without as well as legacy and brand new.

This isn't an insult to Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax, but is a description of what I consider to really mean a full system type provider and is one reason Nikon and Canon are more often considered for professional use. It doesn't mean these others are not good cameras. It just shows an upgrade path unparalleled by anyone else if and only if a person really needs or wants this. That's the key. You've got to want and/or need this level of system choice.

Take care and have fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +25 more
trekkeruss
Senior MemberPosts: 3,725
Like?

123Mike wrote:

It's funny that every time you hear the word Sony, that you start a temper tantrum and so desperately try to project your superiority complex.

As a third party, I'd say that's calling the pot kettle black.

Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,200Gear list
Like?

123Mike wrote:

The very opposite is true.

If Sony isn't mentioned you act up.

Sony and Pentax are more or less are in the same position, they make good body's but future upgrades can get iffy.

At this moment I own a Canon,Nikon, Fuji and Pentax (SLR). I must be a fanboy

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

Canon and Nikon are both better than each other.

So toss  a coin.

Or take a look at the excellent cameras made by other companies, such as Sony and Pentax.

Bjorn_L
Like?

123Mike wrote:

Really Mike?  I'd bet I recommend Sony just about as often as you.  I own more sony lenses then you.  I have shot the sony mount longer then you by over a decade.

Consider trying to remain topical.

-- hide signature --

jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 2,041Gear list
Like?
It doesn't matter

Not at all.  Not even slightly.  Go to the store and play around with various Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Oly, Panny or whomever's bodies.  Choose the one that is the most intuitive to you.  All of them take excellent photos. The differences among the brands are generally so small that only serious nitpicking can discern the difference, and that nitpicking is at such a high unrealistic level that the differences verge on irrelevant.

System wise the same is also true.  All camera manufacturers currently have a system more than capable of fulfilling the needs of well over 99% of all customers.  So unless your system needs involve shooting wildlife from a blind on a regular basis, or a tilt shift lens is necessary due to your specific needs, or whatever, any of these systems will fit your needs as well.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +11 more
123Mike
Like?

The problem I have with you Bjorn, is that you repeatedly use personal attacks. You very quickly start making claims that you are superior, better, having done it longer. You very readily claim that the person you are talking to knows less, has things to learn that you already know. You are trying to make yourself seem superior by trying belittling. So, I have a personal beef with you, because of this arrogance. The bullying is also not very becoming. I'm still scratching my head how people can be this way, because where I'm from, people don't do that sort of thing.

The only thing that I've been contributing, and this is making people very nervous it seems, is that the Sonys do things that the other cameras don't. We know that there are many people that think that Canon and Nikon are the only worthy cameras to consider. People should consider the other brands as well, including Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, heck what else, Samsung (nah). So, don't be offended if I drop in. I'm not going to bullied away.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads