14 Days and 4 Cameras.

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
14 Days and 4 Cameras.
Apr 29, 2013

I Though I would give my impressions on the use of 4 camera for 14 days in some fairly hostile conditions.

Well I normally do a SA game park most years this time I went to Namibia for 2 weeks.  It was a great trip in sometimes tough conditions.  I took my Olympus DSLR's and a Canon PS.

The Equipment was E-5/30/620 and a Canon 220SX . The lenses where50-200 / 12-60 / 50-500/ 18-180 / 105 Macro and Rikonon 8mm FE and a lot of other junk.

I used the E-5 a lot with the 12-60 and the E-30 with bigma for long shoots for a lot of the general pictures. In the park I intended to swap the roles but that did not happen as I expected. The E-620 was used by my wife in auto mode which she enjoyed using ( I think goodbye E-620 )  I will be claiming all the good ones though as I did use it once or twice.  

As to equipment performance well It all went very well except for the E-5. The E-30/620 did their  normal Stirling work  but I had hassles with the E-5. Half way through the trip the view finder display and top plate display stopped working and then worked intermittently (I think its a ribbon cable issue) . I the lost the EP-6 (Twice) , I am going to replace it with a EP-9 which fits far better.  I also put the E-5 strap on the E-30 (Looks better) so that I could hang it over my shoulder and hold the E-5 with grip in hand. One of those cheap rubbish plastic strip fasteners broke (Yea I know there have been complaints about them but who listens. ) the camera fell from shoulder high  and I  bounced the E-30 and 12-60 amongst  some rock. Fortunately no damage. OK I will verify don't use the E-5 strap.

I then had to use the E-5 blind with no displays other than the back LCD. This has got me thinking about future equipment. I did not realise how important a decent optical viewfinder/viewfinder  is especially in these conditions and if you  don't have one on your main line camera. You don't realise it but you seem to automatically  gather info from the viewfinder without really looking at it. Due to the changing harsh light it was imperative to see what you where shooting and what the light and light colour is. This same light made the back panel virtually  useless so I was shooting blind a lot of the time,  just using the viewfinder as a focus confirmation and a framing device.  So no viewfinder no go. I tried  someone's new fuji camera with EVF and in those conditions it was bloody terrible and lied the whole time as to brightness and colour it seemed to lose the contrast in the bright condition. It  was difficult to read so again the need for the optical viewfinder as even the E-620 was brilliant compared to it.  I eventually used the good old E-30 as the main camera and the E-5 as an AUX camera.

I did have fun with the PS camera. I put it in program mode and banged away. Again the display was useless , the zooming very slow and stepped , the shoot rate terrible, bad framing  , the pop up flash that keeps on wanting to pop up (I put gaffer tape on it) but it did what I wanted for the arb shoots ( slowly.) and when I did not want to carry a camera or bag.  Exposure and WB quite good although I did dial in some neg exposure.

I have come to the conclusion that this thing about smaller camera and less weight etc as a crock of @#%$#@#.  I will use 2 cameras a big one that is comfortable in my hands as it was carried around 12hrs a day , the other is a decent PS with a decent zoom which is fairly fast and it must fit into my pocket ( Preferably my top pocket as the SX220 does)  it's no good being small if I can't fit it into my pocket otherwise  I want something I can hang onto and it must be comfortable with  easy access to buttons and controls without having to look at the camera.

And now to the technical side.

I found the E-5/30 underexposing a lot in the bright light and had to dial in + compensation. As to white balance well I did not take a grey card with me and tried to used the white paper thing but that was a disaster.  I think the presets are set for northern hemisphere as they don't work that accurately in our harsh light. I think it would have been better to use Auto/WB. Strangely in the E-620 which was set to full auto the WB was much more accurate. I do shoot jpg/raw so I can recover.  I did use Auto ISO a lot and the camera was always trying to use lowest  ISO. When people recon 1/4000s is sufficient they have not shoot in our conditions.  On occasion  I was shooting at  ISO100 1/8000s and had to stop the lens down.

As to camera 's other where using  generally . There are a lot of German tourists in Namibia as  German is the third language a lot of the tourists were of the older generation so maybe this is a trend on camera purchases in Germany .  There were a lot of PS camera's . There were quite a few  bridge type camera's. DSLR where carried by the younger generation or more agile or the more serious   photographers  . There was even a Sigmonster about.  As to mirror less and specifically m4/3 I did see a few but they were mainly Panasonics ( Olympus she was not big   total = 0) . I saw very few Cell phone cameras being used other than for the happy snappy around the pool etc . So as much as others would like us to believe nothing has changed over the years the cell phone camera has not taken over from the PS in this environment and mirror less has  not taken over from the DSLR.  What was interesting  was number  the SLR type Bridge camera like the fujis with super zooms.  Actually it makes sense these people want a camera they can hold with a single lens.  So when the chips are down and you are taking pictures that you really want and can't afford to screw up the Cell Phone camera becomes a Cell Phone / face book / MPS Players / social media device again.

I will be posting a lot of the pictures naturally but it's going to take a while as I have my laptop stolen through my study window which had all the semi organized pictures on it. ( I hope the thief gets haemorrhoids and his arm pits are infested by the fleas of a thousand camels , I won't wish some social  disease  on him as he probably has it any way. ). I also had all the gps data on it. I had fortunately uploaded all my picture to the portable drive (100gb , Less GPS data)  but it's a mess and it going to take awhile . I will also have to reprocess the raws for underexposure and WB.

Anyway long winded as usual but that's it.

Some Quick Pics

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,447Gear list
Like?
Re: 14 Days and 4 Cameras.
In reply to CollBaxter, Apr 29, 2013

Nice set Collin.  Don't know what you did processing wise to the second but it is quite striking.  A friend of mine loves orange and would really like this one!

Andrew

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,107
Like?

Boy, sorry about your laptop and troubles. Images look great, and looking forward to more. My E5 eyecup disappeared long ago and I got used to using the camera without it, scratching my glasses a bit, but just found it again while cleaning my wife's car.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,720Gear list
Like?

I always look forward to your adventures Collin.  Sounds like you had a few you could do without on this trip!  Sorry to hear about the problems with the E-5...not expected for a "pro" camera.  The E-30 isn't built to pro standards, but mine keeps on ticking without complaint, and the IQ is almost as good as the E-5 so it always goes along too.

I eagerly await your images.

-- hide signature --

BJM

CollBaxter
Like?
In reply to 19andrew47, Apr 29, 2013

Howzit Andrew in the second one there is no special processing. The Place is called Sossuvlei the dunes are naturally that colour from the iron oxide. This dune system  runs for 300km up the coast and is 65km wide. It is an amazing place we spent an evening and a morning there.

See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sossusvlei

-- hide signature --

Collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
CollBaxter
Like?
In reply to jkrumm, Apr 29, 2013

Thanks for the reply. I have found tha the EP-9 is a far better cap. It clicks in place. it feels a bit lose but does not fall off. It also has more padding than the EP-6.

I used the E-5 without the Eyepiece after the viewfinder display failed.

-- hide signature --

Collin

CollBaxter
Like?
In reply to Bobby J, Apr 29, 2013

Thanks Bobby. The trip was relevantly hassle free. I could still use the camera but I do like to see what I am doing. I think the Problem with the display is a ribbon cable that's lose. When I banged the camera on the desk the display came back for a while. I had the shutter replaced last year so maybe it just needs to be reseated.

-- hide signature --

Collin

dab1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225Gear list
Like?

Colin

I love the colours and expanse on 1 & 4, good composition also.

Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,720Gear list
Like?

Gee, I hope you don't have to take your desk along to get it to work!!

-- hide signature --

BJM

dharma108
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,560Gear list
Like?

A really nice set--second one is a stand-out for me. Beautiful colors and composition. Look forward to seeing some more. Not good about the E5--do you have to send it back to Europe for repairs?

Dharma

dharma108's gear list:dharma108's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +26 more
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,542Gear list
Like?

Very nice photos!  I like all of them.  I live where the sky is frequently intense blue and clear, and always have to add exposure compensation with any camera to avoid underexposure.  And I always use AWB because the presets are too 'midday', when I rarely ever shoot.  Sorry about your troubles, but your photos look wonderful - please show us more.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Brad Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916
Like?
#2, my favorite,,,
In reply to CollBaxter, Apr 30, 2013

...great image, would make a great image enlargement, , but when are the animal pics arriving?,,(not putting any pressure on you or anything),,  :),,

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,880Gear list
Like?

beautiful stark images  Collin.

Funny I live on a continent that's 80% desert and I've never seen it up close like that.
Look fwd to seeing more of your pics

Re: the E-5 failure, did you bounce it in checked luggage  or in the back of a 4x4 on a bumpy road?  If not it seems strange that it failed. Maybe a loose internal connector as a result of the service/repairs you had done when the shutter died . . .

re: "I found the E-5/30 underexposing a lot in the bright light and had to dial in + compensation"

I've never noticed this with my E-30s and I've taken lots of pics in summer on our Aussie beaches.  But I almost always use Spot metering.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +23 more
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,994Gear list
Like?

Always enjoy reading about your road trips and experiences on them, sorry to hear about the E-5. The photos look like something I would see in a gallery and the first three would look really good hanging in my home, number 3 is is my favorite, it's just beautiful!

You gotta be careful about putting cameras in the hands of wives  that's how I lost my 520. Anyway just glad you made it back safe and have some beautiful pictures to show for the trip, thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Denjw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?

Love to hear your stories and travel escapades Collin.

Great series of shots, No 2 is the stand out for me.

Sorry to hear about your E-5 issue, hopefully it can be fixed easily. Bummer about the laptop too, but good job in backing up images. I bet you didn't have any dust problems though.

Was the travel conditions tough or just the shooting conditions?

Love to see more photos and hear more about your trip when you have things organised.

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
aja2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?

Looks like #2 is a real winner amongst us all. Sorry to hear of your camera woes, though. Hope it gets repaired in short time. Glad you made it back in one piece, too! I'm looking forward to your photos of the journey.

Harri Fin H5
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371Gear list
Like?

Hi Collin ,,,nice to hear from you

Sorry to hear about your E-5 issue

nice report and great pictures !

-- hide signature --

Harri

Harri Fin H5's gear list:Harri Fin H5's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +3 more
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,795Gear list
Like?

Nice, Collin. As usual

Bugger about your E-5 trying to go AWOL.
I expect better of a camera at this level; and I am sure you do too!

I think the second and third are my favourites.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 2,031Gear list
Like?

Well, it sounds like you had quite a few trials and tribulations.  Stuff happens, I guess, especially when using gear in rough conditions.  You did manage to get a fine set of images there, however.  I like the minimalist compositions.  With each of them having a strong "theme" color, it seems like they would come together to make a nice grouped wall display.

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
rovingtim
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,014
Like?
Nice shots, Coll

Glad you had more cameras than you needed. I really like your style in these shots. My favourite would depend on my mood, I think.

While ergonomics are important, I am among the group of people who want a lighter camera bag. For me, the E1 had the best ergos for a camera held in the hand all day and it was smaller than the E3/E5, so I'd prefer it. Still, I think a good designer can get similar ergos even smaller.

However, the weight of the lenses far outweigh that of the camera anyway. Small, high quality lenses are essential for a light camera bag.

Very wise of you to take credit for your wife's shots. How else is a man to get ahead?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads