I've finally caved and bought an XZ-1 - can I come back now?

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions
mariomirabile
Senior MemberPosts: 1,276Gear list
Like?
I've finally caved and bought an XZ-1 - can I come back now?
Apr 29, 2013

For a couple of years, I've felt a bit left out here as I didn't own (or aspire to owning) and XZ-1. Not even my C-8080 made me feel comfortable among the hip gen-X(Z-1) crowd. I just hung over in the SLR forum with the big boys.

But recently, the thought of a fast and sleek take everywhere camera to replace the C-8080 kept coming back to haunt me. I love the C-8080, but it's drawbacks (bulk, slow focus, slow write speed) meant I just wasn't using it as much as it deserved, so I kept my eyes open for a good price on a used XZ-1.

The opportunity came and I've had one for about a week now. I like almost everything about it, and while I'n not over the moon with the lack of a viewfinder and am temped to get a VF-2 to go with it, that would just defeat the purpose of having something I can slip in my pocket. My only real gripe so far is how easily the mode dial shifts when it's in my bag or as I'm taking it out.

The C-8080 will have to go to a new home, I suppose. I'd like to keep it, but the reality is it won't see any use (BTW, this is not an ad, but if you're in Australia and are interested, message me).

Here's a few early efforts from one of my lunchtime walks around the western end of Melbourne.

Mario

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SW Anderson
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
Re: I've finally caved and bought an XZ-1 - can I come back now?
In reply to mariomirabile, Apr 30, 2013

Nice shots. You and the XZ-1 are obviously getting on well together.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photophile
Forum ProPosts: 12,891Gear list
Like?
Re: I've finally caved and bought an XZ-1 - can I come back now?
In reply to mariomirabile, Apr 30, 2013

As you know Mario, every dog has its day. The 8080 was - and in some ways still is - a pretty special beasty. But it was never really that compact, nor particularly quick at anything. So the progression towards the XZ-1 will give you the compactness and a bit more speed, and a bit more sensitivity - and the knowledge that you can use RAW when needed   So its not surprising that your happy with your purchase. Definitely the sort of camera you can easily carry around with you in your coat/jacket pocket without worrying where the mobile phone and the wallet will go!:-D

-- hide signature --

AH

photophile's gear list:photophile's gear list
Olympus Stylus 840 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-750 UZ Olympus E-500 Olympus E-510 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads