Accident

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions
Fox328
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Accident
Apr 29, 2013

Yesterday the first inline skate match of 2013 started. Unfortunately, not without some accidents. My daughter was involved in one just at the same time i was taking a picture of her.

As you can see, she was jumping full speed over another girl who had already touched the ground. They are fine except some torn clothing. One girl, the first who fell during the accident, was injured more and went to the hospital.

Hope she is doing fine also.

Aside from this the picture show some action and has put a smile on the face of my daughter and the girl who's laying down.

The picture is taken with my good old (?) E-620 and the 70-300 mm Olympus. Who said Olympus is not suitable for sports photography?

 Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Olympus E-620
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,796Gear list
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to Fox328, Apr 30, 2013

Fox328 wrote:

Yesterday the first inline skate match of 2013 started. Unfortunately, not without some accidents. My daughter was involved in one just at the same time i was taking a picture of her.

As you can see, she was jumping full speed over another girl who had already touched the ground. They are fine except some torn clothing. One girl, the first who fell during the accident, was injured more and went to the hospital.

Hope she is doing fine also.

Aside from this the picture show some action and has put a smile on the face of my daughter and the girl who's laying down.

The picture is taken with my good old (?) E-620 and the 70-300 mm Olympus. Who said Olympus is not suitable for sports photography?

People will always say one camera or another, or one lens or another, is not good for this or that type or setting of photography.  Those are opinions, no one more or less valid than another.  You caught the skater that is airborne quite well, and the scene as well.  Thank you for sharing. I have that same combination as well.

 Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photophile
Forum ProPosts: 12,887Gear list
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to Fox328, Apr 30, 2013

Glad to hear there were no serious injuries and that all ended well. But glad you clicked when you did - the girls will be looking and smiling over that pictures for years to come!

-- hide signature --

AH

 photophile's gear list:photophile's gear list
Olympus Stylus 840 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-750 UZ Olympus E-500 Olympus E-510 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to Fox328, Apr 30, 2013

Glad your daughter and the girl on the ground weren't hurt! That is a great capture and shows that it's more about the skill of the person taking the photo rather then the equiptment.

Thanks for sharing this great shot!

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

 Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fox328
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to Roger Engelken, Apr 30, 2013

Roger Engelken wrote:

People will always say one camera or another, or one lens or another, is not good for this or that type or setting of photography.  Those are opinions, no one more or less valid than another.  You caught the skater that is airborne quite well, and the scene as well.  Thank you for sharing. I have that same combination as well.

Thanks for your comment. I have to admit that i pre-focus because the 70-300 mm tends to hunt sometimes. But we're talking about a capable lens for just about € 280,--, so who's complaining?

 Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fox328
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to photophile, Apr 30, 2013

The skating association will write an article about better protective material. The girl who went to the hospital was unfortunately more badly injured and her wound had to be stiched, i've heard. Her knees were protected but with a material that seems to be less fitted. The skating association wants to use my picture for this story.

My daughter is still interested in this picture and wants to have it printed.

 Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fox328
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to Darrell500, Apr 30, 2013

Darrell500 wrote:

Glad your daughter and the girl on the ground weren't hurt! That is a great capture and shows that it's more about the skill of the person taking the photo rather then the equiptment.

Thanks for sharing this great shot!

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Thanks for you're kind reply. My daughter was back on the wheels the day after the accident, so  fortunately she's doing fine. Her jump prevented things from being worse.

 Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Geo Wharton
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to Fox328, May 1, 2013

Owwie!  Good photo.

Whoever said the 620 is not suitable for sports never shot in the 70s or 80s.  It's 50 times better anything we had then and we still shot sports.  Amazing.  I found the E-620 to focus well and fairly quickly and to track respectably when I kept the focus point on the target.  I think those who complain are the ones who can't keep the point on the target. (Not that it's easy.)

 Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fox328
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to Geo Wharton, May 1, 2013

Geo Wharton wrote:

Owwie!  Good photo.

Whoever said the 620 is not suitable for sports never shot in the 70s or 80s.  It's 50 times better anything we had then and we still shot sports.  Amazing.  I found the E-620 to focus well and fairly quickly and to track respectably when I kept the focus point on the target.  I think those who complain are the ones who can't keep the point on the target. (Not that it's easy.)

I can not agree with you more. I've been taking pictures since i was 9-10 years old in the 70's. Things have got a lot easier since then. I've been using an analog Pentax SLR until 2001 without an auto focus lens and have to admit that manual focussing with the 4/3 DSLR's is the only thing that has become more difficult instead of less.

Attached you find the same picture but differently cropped (i think it's a bit better).

 Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Stamm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,084
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to Fox328, May 1, 2013

I like the composition--something that's hard to do with people in motion.  That said, I have some questions.  Why shoot at ISO 200?  Also, why f8?  The shot works well for email or showing on your phone, but the larger image is blurry because the DOF and ISO prevented, I think, a faster shutter speed.  Were you shooting hand-held as well?  So the action isn't stopped.  The colors, of course, certainly are what we expect from Oly gear and the contrast is quite nice.  Regardless of my nits, you still end up with a nice shot of your daughter's acrobatic maneuver.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
carizi
carizi MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,167Gear list
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to Fox328, May 1, 2013

The 70300mm is an all around lens to have handy.......yeah, it is slow in certain situations but the output and versatility of the lens balances its shortcomings......

 carizi's gear list:carizi's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fox328
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to Henry Stamm, May 1, 2013

Henry Stamm wrote:

I like the composition--something that's hard to do with people in motion.  That said, I have some questions.  Why shoot at ISO 200?  Also, why f8?  The shot works well for email or showing on your phone, but the larger image is blurry because the DOF and ISO prevented, I think, a faster shutter speed.  Were you shooting hand-held as well?  So the action isn't stopped.  The colors, of course, certainly are what we expect from Oly gear and the contrast is quite nice.  Regardless of my nits, you still end up with a nice shot of your daughter's acrobatic maneuver.

-- hide signature --

Iso 200 is the base ISO of the E-620. Dynamic range is optimal in this setting. With a smaller aperture (higher f-value) there's a trade off between higher DOF and lesser sharpness of the 70-300 mm lens. I don't know exactly what's the optimum at which setting but have seen tests where you can see that the lens is optimal rond F6.3. So i'm limitting my settings at F8. The 70-300mm is also a bit soft at some ends.  The blur you see is also partly because i was following my daughter which gives some motion blur as you can see if you look at the letters behind my daughter. No tripod was used and settings were at IS 2. The light was changing every minute because of the clouded sky. This made getting the right settings at the right time even more difficult. I agree with a faster shutter speed results are a bit better but at pixel peeking level there is still some blur. The example below is taken with shutter speed 1/800 which is quite fast.

 Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Stamm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,084
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to Fox328, May 1, 2013

Thanks for the information.  I would still try to shoot wide open with that lens. With Oly gear, f5.6 provides plenty enough depth of field.  And it's probably worth experimenting a little.  I know when I used a sigma 100-400mm for a while, it, too, was soft at the long end wide open. But it was still sharper shooting open than stopped to f8 on the same scenes when motion was involved.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fox328
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Re: Accident
In reply to Henry Stamm, May 2, 2013

Henry Stamm wrote:

Thanks for the information.  I would still try to shoot wide open with that lens. With Oly gear, f5.6 provides plenty enough depth of field.  And it's probably worth experimenting a little.  I know when I used a sigma 100-400mm for a while, it, too, was soft at the long end wide open. But it was still sharper shooting open than stopped to f8 on the same scenes when motion was involved.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for your comments. You at least made me think. I will try a higher iso setting to get higher shutter speed. I've read that  1/2000 is probably the shutter speed i need to freeze the motion. An F 5.6 gives not enough DOF, i've tried that. Up front you don't know where they will skate (left or right of the track). At the time i have the kids in my view and press the button they've moved to much and most of the times are out the area which gives a sharp focus. Most of the kids skate with a speed round 40 km/hour and above. With a zoom lens they are out of your frame before you know it. Whatever camera or setting you use it is a game of compromises.

 Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads