5D mk I AF points don't illuminate when focusing..

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Questions
ojobson
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
5D mk I AF points don't illuminate when focusing..
Apr 29, 2013

In anything other than full auto mode on my newly acquired 5D mk I, the chosen/in-use AF point does not illuminate to show which area of the image is in focus or to show which AF point is in use. On my old 400D, this behaviour was very useful.

When I press the AF-WB button I can select auto AF points or a particular point. The AF points clearly light up red in the view finder when I do this.

In full auto mode the AF points that the camera selects will be illuminated red.

Can anyone shed any light? I've read the manual several times and googled exhaustively, but I can't find an explanation for this. Is this normal for the 5D, is it broken, or am I missing something?

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 400D (EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS Kiss Digital X) Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,390Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D mk I AF points don't illuminate when focusing..
In reply to ojobson, Apr 29, 2013

Could you possibly have it on AI servo focusing mode?  Also check the programming of the * button. If set to lock focus, pressing the shutter button will have no effect.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ojobson
Like?
In reply to Jim Cassatt, Apr 29, 2013

I've tried all the AF modes, and the * isn't engaged. When I half press the shutter button the camera beeps and the cicle at the bottom of the view finder illuminates to indicate that AF has focused, but none of the AF points flash to let me know where (or to indicate my manually pre-selected AF point).

It's most odd.

Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,372Gear list
Like?

ojobson wrote:

I've tried all the AF modes, and the * isn't engaged. When I half press the shutter button the camera beeps and the cicle at the bottom of the view finder illuminates to indicate that AF has focused, but none of the AF points flash to let me know where (or to indicate my manually pre-selected AF point).

It's most odd.

Never mind

I've seen this, but I can't remember exactly why it happens, and what results when it happens. Need to check.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
JLim22
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?

You're probably in AI Servo mode.

You need to be in One Shot, or AI Focus to get the focus points to lit.

JLim22's gear list:JLim22's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +2 more
ojobson
Like?
In reply to JLim22, Apr 29, 2013

JLim22 wrote:

You're probably in AI Servo mode.

You need to be in One Shot, or AI Focus to get the focus points to lit.

Thanks but unfortunately I've tried them all with the same result. I understand the difference between the modes as it's similar with my 400d. Don't understand why this is happening on the 5.

In fact, even in AI Servo my 400d would still show a red dot in the appropriate spot when using a manually selected AF point. Granted, in auto AF it wouldn't. On the 5D I don't get any AF points illuminating on focus in any mode apart from when running the camera in full auto mode (the green square on the mode dial).

ojobson
Like?
In reply to Schwany, Apr 29, 2013

Thanks - I'd really appreciate that as I'm starting to question my sanity now...!

ojobson
Like?

Ok, here are the steps I tried:

Clear all settings. (did this a few times)

Take all the batteries out and leave the camera for a few hours. ('all' meaning the main battery and the backup lithium battery).

Finally, I restored the firmware (I was already on 1.1.1).

The final step did the trick. No idea what was up, but I now have my AF points!

Happy days.

Thanks for your responses, this seems to be a pretty active forum.. I may stick around!

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
nadley
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

You might have set the value of custom function 10 to 1. This will disable the red AF points.

Schwany
Like?
I am a failure to communicate

ojobson wrote:

Thanks - I'd really appreciate that as I'm starting to question my sanity now...!

Ha, I'm no bell weather for sanity. Furthermore, I think I'm wrong about it. What I noticed just now trying to duplicate it was that the AF point does not stay lit for more than a fraction of a second. Leaving me wondering if I am actually focused in the right part of the frame.

If you're getting the solid green light, you're probably focused. Maybe you missed the light firing looking somewhere else in the frame for overall composition. That must have been what I was experiencing, because I can't duplicate it any AF mode while paying strict attention to the selected AF point. It always blinks at least once, sometimes twice in AI Focus.

I often can't see the AF point light up shooting motorsports with a 1DMkIV, because I'm concentrating on framing and tracking more than I am concentrating on the AF point. Same with the 5DMkII the one time I used it for anything moving. I just don't notice the AF point lighting up. Excuse my confusion.

If your outer points are really not lighting up at all, either there is something wrong with the camera, you have the AF illumination turned off, or the 5D doesn't work like the 5DMkII.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
ojobson
Like?
In reply to nadley, Apr 29, 2013

Thanks - I only just acquired the camera so may have been something the previous owner did; however, having said that I did reset all the custom functions and this did not change anything.

ojobson
Like?
Re: I am a failure to communicate
In reply to Schwany, Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, it was odd - the AF points worked fine only in full auto - any other mode and it they didn't do anything. I ended up re-installing the firmware and the AF points are now working as they should be. I have no idea what was causing it to happen though...

ojobson
Like?

Since I couldn't originally find any info on this I just now performed a few searches (cleared browser cache) and managed to find this forum thread on a google search (1st position too) - so anyone else with the same issue should now be able to get resolution. That does make me happy.

Schwany
Like?
That's good news

You fixed it, and all is well again. Can't ask for more than that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads