Anyone know how much cost to have new LCD screen cover put on 5N?

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions
ronfab1
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Anyone know how much cost to have new LCD screen cover put on 5N?
Apr 29, 2013

I'm assuming that the LCD and its protective surface are not all one piece.   Starting to see what looks like worn spots through the surface, though down to how far I don't know.  Usually it's always smudgy of course with the touch functions and handling, but I used a Zeiss Wipe on it yesterday and it really showed them off along the top edge and bottom.  I did have a protector on for a year or so and then took off.  Maybe it was from the adhesive along those edges pulling up small parts of the protective coating.

If it is all one piece with the LCD how much does that cost, if this ever gets to where it's really bothering me?

evoprox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone know how much cost to have new LCD screen cover put on 5N?
In reply to ronfab1, Apr 29, 2013

There's a relatively thick protective top-layer that you can peel off. I removed it from my two N5 without any problems and AFAIK the 5n has it too (my 7 has it) but on my 5n it didn't have any spots so I left it on. Take great care not to bend/flex the display, since it takes some force to remove it but it will come off. Just add a new screen protector right after the job and you should be fine.

Hope that helps ... good luck !

-- hide signature --

'Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.' Dali

evoprox's gear list:evoprox's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?
In reply to ronfab1, Apr 29, 2013

It's not.  Think of it as an uber factory screen protector.  The AR coating rubs off.  It does on all my Sony cameras.  Sony will fix it for free if your warranty is still valid.  It can be peeled off and something else be put in it's place.  You can get a protector made out of optical glass for it for a few dollars.

evoprox
Like?
In reply to lenshoarder, Apr 29, 2013

lenshoarder wrote:

It's not.  Think of it as an uber factory screen protector.  The AR coating rubs off.  It does on all my Sony cameras.  Sony will fix it for free if your warranty is still valid.  It can be peeled off and something else be put in it's place.

You can get a protector made out of optical glass for it for a few dollars.

Most if not all glass protectors will disable the touch ability of the 5n screen. I'd prefer a standard foil protector on that camera.

-- hide signature --

sasoph
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
In reply to evoprox, Apr 29, 2013

evoprox wrote:

Most if not all glass protectors will disable the touch ability of the 5n screen.

That's not been my experience, using a GGS glass protector.

sasoph's gear list:sasoph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +18 more
evoprox
Like?
In reply to sasoph, Apr 29, 2013

sasoph wrote:

evoprox wrote:

Most if not all glass protectors will disable the touch ability of the 5n screen.

Thanks for correcting this. I've tried two different types (no GGS) on my ex-5n and they didn't work as expected. Maybe the adhesive rim has been to thick.

-- hide signature --

MBlackburn
Contributing MemberPosts: 807
Like?

I used a glass screen protector on my 5n with no problems - tested first by holding a (empty!) wine glass to the screen and swiping around.

-- hide signature --

www.mikeblackburn.com

MBlackburn
Contributing MemberPosts: 807
Like?
In reply to MBlackburn, Apr 29, 2013

cgs, by the way

-- hide signature --

www.mikeblackburn.com

twald
Regular MemberPosts: 491Gear list
Like?

evoprox wrote:

sasoph wrote:

evoprox wrote:

Thanks for correcting this. I've tried two different types (no GGS) on my ex-5n and they didn't work as expected. Maybe the adhesive rim has been to thick.

-- hide signature --

I am using the GGS on the 5n as well. Touch does work on mine but it is difficult to use the functions on the right edge that are duplicated by the hardware buttons (no big deal). Touch to focus works fine.

I would definitely recommend it.

saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?

Do you notice more glare with an aftermarket screen protector vs. the factory anti-reflective/trublack screen protector? I'm debating if I should leave the blotchy factory protector for better glare protection, or just swap it.

saintz's gear list:saintz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
ronfab1
Like?
In reply to saintz, Apr 29, 2013

saintz wrote:

Do you notice more glare with an aftermarket screen protector vs. the factory anti-reflective/trublack screen protector? I'm debating if I should leave the blotchy factory protector for better glare protection, or just swap it.

I was just going to ask this same question?  (and thanks for the information to original question everyone)

It does seem to be "GGS"  (BF) if this is the one I believe on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/GGS-Optical-Screen-Protector-NEX-5N/dp/B007V5CD0W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Besides the glare question is there any less or more tendency to have fingerprints smudge up the screen than the factory film?

What do most use to get the the smudges off the factory protector?  The Zeiss Wipe did immediately (better than micro fiber cloth)  but that's when I first noticed all the little wear spots, maybe it speeds those, or not it's OK?

Amidst The Ruins
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to evoprox, Apr 30, 2013

evoprox wrote:

There's a relatively thick protective top-layer that you can peel off. I removed it from my two N5 without any problems and AFAIK the 5n has it too (my 7 has it) but on my 5n it didn't have any spots so I left it on. Take great care not to bend/flex the display, since it takes some force to remove it but it will come off. Just add a new screen protector right after the job and you should be fine.

Hope that helps ... good luck !

-- hide signature --

I didn't know that there was a factory-installed screen protector on the LCD display. I tried installing a screen protector on my 5N and upon peeling it off (as it didn't align with the screen), managed to peel off a section of the factory-installed screen protector. This bothered me some so I decided to take your advice and peel off the included screen protector entirely.  Admittedly, it looks quite cool as the edges of the screen light up white when the camera's powered on!

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,226
Like?
In reply to ronfab1, Apr 30, 2013

If all else fails, contact sony repair ... They would do the repair, so I assume they would know the price, should the camera be out of warrantee .....

ronfab1
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Apr 30, 2013

I have already pulled the factory one off and ordered the GGS one from Amazon, should have on Thursday the 2nd.  Should also be a whole lot easier to wipe off the smudges.  I picked up the attachable viewfinder last week so I will be covered out in bright sunlight, in case the glass cover is worse in that regard.  But I was outside earlier with the naked screen and didn't seem all that bad unless the sun at direct mirror angle.  Then yep, you squint..... 

DeloreanLights
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

Those glass protectors can be quite good, although they can feel significantly bulky thanks to the thick plastic shroud.

Let us know how you get on with it!

SandyKHo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,504Gear list
Like?

I see that you have already begun replacing the screen protector yourself, so it's a moot point, but I had the same issue and my camera was still within the one-year timeframe and Sony replaced it for free. When it was in the shop to have the LCD screen repaired the technician said he thought the shutter was making an odd sound so he replaced the shutter under warranty as well.

When the camera was returned from Sony I immediately put a Sony brand screen protector on it.  It probably won't be any better than any other screen protector, but It fits better and covers more completely than the screen protector I had on it when my damage began.

Sandy

God gave us an incredible world. See it, hear it, Touch it, taste it, smell it, PHOTOGRAPH IT!

SandyKHo's gear list:SandyKHo's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO +12 more
ronfab1
Like?
In reply to DeloreanLights, Apr 30, 2013

DeloreanLights wrote:

Those glass protectors can be quite good, although they can feel significantly bulky thanks to the thick plastic shroud.

Let us know how you get on with it!

Well Bleep!!  Amazingly the company that shipped it got it to me today already, as I just ordered it yesterday.  Props for that!!  GoShot Camera via Amazon.

This protector ROCKS.  Especially with the add on EVF for my 5N.  What a kick in the butt to shoot with now that I have bought another Sony SEL 18-200mm lens after making a huge mistake and selling my first one toward money for a needed GH3 rig with great glass.

This was before I had seriously looked at the still photos I had taken on a 3 hour beautiful but cold as hell shoot on a fast boat on Lake Mead 2 Novermbers ago, the purpose of the 3 hours was 1080 60P video footage.  I finally did in PS CS6 3 weeks ago.  Great Lens!  Bought it a second time last week.

Back to the protector, thanks for turning me on to it.  What's great about it?  Clear as a bell and you can use your T-shirt to wipe it off clean as a whistle.  No freaking smudging!!!!!!!!   No gaps for dust to get under either, and far as I can tell, no "touch" capability lost.  At first I thought there was in spite of everyone's reviews saying it still worked.  But then realized it (the NEX 5N) wasn't going to "spin its wheels" with me seriously since there was no "card" in the camera.  Hey they don't have "intelligent" in the menu instruction options for no reason.

I had read one review where the person said they lost the right side margin touch but still had the physical scroll wheel and manual buttons.  But my view of everything on the LCD is perfect and I still have the right side edge touch and swipe working.  Love the lens, new EVF and this great LCD protector!  What a fun rig with high performance and great low light capability now, with the original 16MP APS C chip!!!  DMF focus mode also ROCKS.

Just in case you want to get one, follow the instructions very carefully when lining it up before sticking it on.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads