Can more than one flash be controlled off-camera with a pair of Yongnuo YN-622C

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Questions
DVasquez
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Can more than one flash be controlled off-camera with a pair of Yongnuo YN-622C
Apr 29, 2013

I am either considering a pair of Yongnuo YN-622C Wireless TTL Flash Triggers or a  33'/10m Extra-long ETTL Cord for off camera flash. I have a canon 580exii and a 430ex. I know that with the10m ettl cord I would be able to use both off camera as the 580exii would control and trigger the 430ex. But would the same hold true for the Yongnuo YN-622C or would I need 3: one for the camera and one for each flash instead of just 2: one for the camera and one for the 580ex ii?

ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,693
Like?
Re: Can more than one flash be controlled off-camera with a pair of Yongnuo YN-622C
In reply to DVasquez, Apr 29, 2013

Hi, You would need 3 Yn 622Cs - one for cam body & 1 each for each Speedlite.

Bear in mind that 'II' series Canon Ex Speedlites acquire full remotely adjusted control & triggering (both ETTL & remotely adjusted M power), whereas 'non-II' Canon Ex Speedlites have ETTL via the Yn 622C but not remotely adjusted M power fractions - if that is important to you.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Can more than one flash be controlled off-camera with a pair of Yongnuo YN-622C
In reply to ScratchDisk, Apr 29, 2013

If your not using TTL, does the Yuong's have a built in slave? I got 3 nikon flashes and only one transmitter and one reciever (pocket wizards) I put the flash that is the most 'hidden' On the Pocket wizard and slave the other two from that one.

Example: If I have a softbox as main light and want to rim light on either side. The flash in the soft box gets the wizard and the other's slave sensors see the main and fire..

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
DVasquez
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, Apr 30, 2013

This then makes the ttl cord that much more cost effective. Thanks for the info.

Yan Duval
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, Apr 30, 2013

ScratchDisk wrote:

Hi, You would need 3 Yn 622Cs - one for cam body & 1 each for each Speedlite.

I was told otherwise.  I was told that the 622 replaces the wire, so one pair to control the 580 as a master.  I don't have 622s, so I cannot prove it.

-- hide signature --

Yan

Yan Duval's gear list:Yan Duval's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,105Gear list
Like?
In reply to DVasquez, May 1, 2013

Two triggers are sufficient IF one of the flash units is mounted on the RF trigger that is mounted on the camera.  This would be your fill light for the off-camera flash.

If you want to buy a cord just be aware that it will represent a tripping danger.  Tripping over a cord, or just moving too far away from the corded flash can result in you pulling over the light stand or pulling the camera out of your hand.

You will also be limited to optical triggering of the second flash, which doesn't work well outdoors or around corners.

I would recommend going with three YN-622s instead of a cord but if you must buy a cord then check out the one from Syl Arena, author of the Speedliter's Handbook.

Off-Camera Flash Gear | Canon ETTL Cord OC-E3 | Nikon ITTL Cord SC-29 | Syl Arena

Syl Arena - Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites (9780321711052)

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
DVasquez
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, May 2, 2013

So now I'm confused, yet it's what I was thinking also. if the YN-622c imitates a cord or fools the camera into think the flash is on the camera, I would also think I could get away with just two, one on my camera and one on the 580exii which would then in turn be set as a master and control the 430ex as it would be set as slave (the 580exii controlling the 430ex via optical). Also worthy of consideration is the tripping hazard the cord posses.

ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,693
Like?
In reply to DVasquez, May 2, 2013

Hi, I don't use Yn 622Cs, but I'd be extremely surprised if that worked, even for Canon Manual Wireless, let alone, ETTL. I accept the point, made above, that you could get away with only 2 622Cs  strictly if one of the Speedlites was 'on Trx-on cam'.

It is in fact possible to use a Canon Wireless Light/IR type link when the Master unit is being driven by a simple M only RF trigger - but - only with the Canon Wireless Light/IR link set to M - and - with a significant loss of top sync speed. I would never recommend such a setup - unless it was absolutely the only option to get the shot.

I would still advise 3 Trx 622C units as the way to go, if you are wedded to a Yn solution. If your 430 is the 'non II' version, my comment (1st reply) still holds. Cheers

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,105Gear list
Like?
In reply to DVasquez, May 3, 2013

DVasquez wrote:

So now I'm confused, yet it's what I was thinking also. if the YN-622c imitates a cord or fools the camera into think the flash is on the camera, I would also think I could get away with just two, one on my camera and one on the 580exii which would then in turn be set as a master and control the 430ex as it would be set as slave (the 580exii controlling the 430ex via optical). Also worthy of consideration is the tripping hazard the cord posses.

I don't have the YN-622s but:

If you put both flashes in full manual power control mode then you should be able to assign the on-camera flash, mounted on the YN-622 transmitter, to one group and the off-camera flash to the second group.  This way you should be able to adjust the power of each flash from the camera.

If you want to shoot in E-TTL then I have no idea what would happen.

Personally I don't recommend using E-TTL, or any other brand of TTL, if you don't have to. Every time the background or subject changes brightness or you change the ratio of subject to background in the image the TTL exposure will change.  Flash Exposure Compensation can help but you will still spend an enormous amount of time and energy fixing the exposures of each image in post processing.

About the only time TTL is really useful is if the subject to flash distance is constantly changing. TTL will get the exposures close as the distance changes but again, as the background or subject brightness changes or the subject/background ratio changes you will have to be guessing at FEC adjustments and still have to make exposure adjustments one-by-one on your images in post processing.

If the distance is fixed then you are better off using manual power control of the flash units.  If you get the exposure right then all the rest of the images will have the exact same exposure.  If you miss it a bit then you can fix it on one image and do a global correction for all the other images.  Much easier than fixing each one because you used TTL.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
SeedyBee
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
In reply to DVasquez, May 4, 2013

DVasquez wrote: I have a canon 580exii and a 430ex. I know that with the10m ettl cord I would be able to use both off camera as the 580exii would control and trigger the 430ex. But would the same hold true for the Yongnuo YN-622C or would I need 3?

Canon camera from 2007 on. Plus YN-622C.

Both flashes off-camera:
580EXII on a 622, fully controllable from camera;
430EX on a 622, E-TTL controllable from camera but Manual levels set on-flash.

One flash on-camera and one off-camera:
Say 430EX on-top. manual levels set on-flash;
580EXII on a 622, fully controllable from camera.

Hybrid triggering:
Not available - there must be only one Master working with the camera, and that is the 622 on-top. If you try to set the off-camera 580EXII to Master, it will switch back to the 622 transmitter settings. The 622s have a"Mix" mode which might make an off-camera Master able to be set up, but there would then be no control from the camera!

Canon did not build the necessary digital control lines into the hotfoot until the mark IIs were released. The 430EX can handle E-TTL, however.

You may find The Other YN-622C User Guide helpful:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

-- hide signature --

Clive

DVasquez
Like?
In reply to DVasquez, Jul 21, 2013

I finally decieded to get 3 YN-622c controllers and am very happy. Sure enought I bought a pair 1st and was able to verify that I needed 3 controllers for one body and 2 flashes. Here are a couple of self portraits:

Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,435
Like?
In reply to DVasquez, Jul 21, 2013

I'm glad the 622s worked for you. At $40 each, they're a bargain, so going ahead and getting three certainly was the easiest option.

Although I use 1D and 6D series bodies with the 622 transceivers quite a bit, I actually do also love the convenience of the newer Canon bodies with built in flashes that can wireless control off-camera flash either manual or ETTL exposure. There are the usual line-of-sight limitations, but in the right conditions, it's quite a difference in setup and cost. And the built-in flash, of course, can even be used as fill, if needed, or turned out of the final exposure altogether.

But I do think you will enjoy the 622s. We've had them in use now for about 25 weddings over the past 6 months or so and they havn't let us down a bit.

senorfuzion
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to SeedyBee, 7 months ago

SeedyBee wrote:

DVasquez wrote: I have a canon 580exii and a 430ex. I know that with the10m ettl cord I would be able to use both off camera as the 580exii would control and trigger the 430ex. But would the same hold true for the Yongnuo YN-622C or would I need 3?

Canon camera from 2007 on. Plus YN-622C.

Both flashes off-camera:
580EXII on a 622, fully controllable from camera;
430EX on a 622, E-TTL controllable from camera but Manual levels set on-flash.

One flash on-camera and one off-camera:
Say 430EX on-top. manual levels set on-flash;
580EXII on a 622, fully controllable from camera.

Hybrid triggering:
Not available - there must be only one Master working with the camera, and that is the 622 on-top. If you try to set the off-camera 580EXII to Master, it will switch back to the 622 transmitter settings. The 622s have a"Mix" mode which might make an off-camera Master able to be set up, but there would then be no control from the camera!

Canon did not build the necessary digital control lines into the hotfoot until the mark IIs were released. The 430EX can handle E-TTL, however.

You may find The Other YN-622C User Guide helpful:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

-- hide signature --

Clive

Hi,

Can the 430ex's Ettl work while using the YN622C? What else should I know. I like to make sure before I make a final purchase.

Thanks

Chris

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads