Computer question

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Questions
Jim Beverlin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,054
Like?
Computer question
Apr 29, 2013

In the 6.5 years I have beem a member of DP Review I have started a total of 10 threads spread between the Pentax forum ( I have used Pentax for over 30 years), Sigma forum (I have a DP2X), Printers and Printing, PC quesitons so I am averaging about 1.5 threads per year.  Probably this question belongs in the "PC" forum but I am "0" for "2" in threads replied to in the PC forum ([probably due to my incredibly stupid questions) so I want to run this question by this forum.

I have used "XP" in several laptops and never had an issue responding to threads or starting the few that I have.  Switched to W7 laptop in December with IE 9 w/o any issues.  Then in January I started using a Microsoft Surface tablet running W8 RT for convenience not that I am a lover of tablets (still trying to figure out their purpose)  or W8 (NOT).  At first all was well.  Now, I can pull up DPR articles along with reading threads but cannot reply to threads.  Trying to reply results in the reply directed to the "Write a Reply" page but the thread or post is never opened for me to issue a reply.  Same situation happens if the page is ""Reply with Quote".

Any response to this queston would be appreciated including telling me to post this question on the "PC" forum and leave this forum to Pentax questions.

-- hide signature --

JRB

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sigma DP2x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DarylK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,555Gear list
Like?
Re: Computer question
In reply to Jim Beverlin, Apr 29, 2013

I don't know if this relates to your problem or not...I was having issues using MS Internet Explorer as a browser last year.  I switched to Google Chrome and the problems went away.  I'm not an advocate for Chrome (in fact from what I hear of how Google mines and uses info, I'm wondering if I should switch to something else), but maybe you should try going with a different  browser.  My other thought is that perhaps you have virus software or firewall interfering with your efforts?  I'm not a computer savvy person...hopefully somebody else will reply with some real constructive advise.

Best regards,

Daryl

-- hide signature --

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Great photography is largely a matter of perspective, both visually and mentally - Daryl Kottwitz (but probably said before )
My gallery: http://darylkottwitzphoto.smugmug.com

DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Beverlin
Like?
In reply to DarylK, Apr 29, 2013

Daryl - Thanks for the reply.  Good thought about Chrome.  I am going to give it a try.  Just noticed the IE version for W8 RT is IE 10 while I am using IE 9 for W7.  Both the tablet and the laptop have all the latest updates.  Not much you can do with security software for W8 RT since it comes from Microsoft with their security software and you cannot use 3rd party, i.e, Norton, antivirus software.

Hmmm.....................tried to load in Chrome and W8 RT will not let me.  My gut feeling is the problem is probably with an update to W8 RT.

My step daughter just got a Samsung laptop with W8.  Next time I stop by her home I am going to see what happens using W8 for a reply to a thread or a post.  I would be willing to bet the problem is W8 RT and the regular W8 works ok.

-- hide signature --

JRB

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,682Gear list
Like?

I would suspect your security settings.

Dpreview are probably doing a redirect when you click reply , Your browser probably has this type of activity switched off so you don't get redirected by 'man in the middle  attacks'.

Always an issue security Vs convenience.

Try lowering the security of dpreview in your browser.

PS

Microsoft would not 'stop' chrome installing given their legal loses in the 'browser wars', If you cannot install chrome or Fire fox then it is again more likely your security/AV settings than any conspiracy to confound you.

As i suspect your settings, installing Chrome would not help it merges you existing settings , try Firefox as this browser does its own thing rather than take system settings.

Failing that try one of the 'portable' versions as they sit outside the OS environment so negate anything you may have 'enabled'

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,300Gear list
Like?
Expecting to hear a whole lot more about Windows 8 ......

A colleague has just bought an Acer desktop with Win8 pre-loaded. His answer? He's installed a 256Gb SSD drive and a 2TB hard drive (for storage), installed Win 7 64 bit on the SSD drive and he's disconnected and "parked" the original Win8 hard drive just in case he ever wants to try Windows 8 in the future. Judging from the expletives he's used in describing Microsoft's flagship OS I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. I can see Microsoft going down the gurgler over this OS.

I've been using Win 7 for a while (but had to force myself). Windows 7 is a clever OS but the user interface and changes to Windows Explorer (after XP) are woeful. With every new OS they bring out, there's a new layer of complexity and the operator loses a little bit more control. The idiots have it b-ass ackwards!!

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,078Gear list
Like?
Re: Expecting to hear a whole lot more about Windows 8 ......
In reply to emem, Apr 29, 2013

emem wrote:

A colleague has just bought an Acer desktop with Win8 pre-loaded. His answer? He's installed a 256Gb SSD drive and a 2TB hard drive (for storage), installed Win 7 64 bit on the SSD drive and he's disconnected and "parked" the original Win8 hard drive just in case he ever wants to try Windows 8 in the future. Judging from the expletives he's used in describing Microsoft's flagship OS I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. I can see Microsoft going down the gurgler over this OS.

Agree. The consumer preview of Win 8 was enough to turn me off. The UI is a mess.  Finally went with Windows 7 64-bit for my new machine (Core i7 cpu, SSD and 2TB drive, plus Lightroom 4 and PS 5). Starts in seconds and RAW conversion with a 16MP sensor is quick.

To keep the PC in shape, I make sure I only install software if it's (a) 100% necessary and (b) known to be free of crapware like Java, unsolicited toolbars etc.

-- hide signature --
philzucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,930
Like?

Jim Beverlin wrote:

Then in January I started using a Microsoft Surface tablet running W8 RT for convenience not that I am a lover of tablets (still trying to figure out their purpose)  or W8 (NOT).  At first all was well.  Now, I can pull up DPR articles along with reading threads but cannot reply to threads.  Trying to reply results in the reply directed to the "Write a Reply" page but the thread or post is never opened for me to issue a reply.  Same situation happens if the page is ""Reply with Quote".

Jim,

I think your problem is based on the browser technology available for tablets running the RT version of W8 on an ARM processor. AFAIK only IE10 and the fairly new Chinese browser "UC Browser HD" can run on those kind of tablets. I don't have one, but even on a normal W8 PC the UC Browser app doesn't load the text editor of dpreview's forum, so that wouldn't be any help, I guess.

The solution could be to force your browser - either IE10 or the aforementioned UC Browser HD - to use the mobile version of dpreview's site. For this click on the link "Mobile site" visible at the bottom of the page at the left next to the dpreview logo. Then the websites changes to its mobile version which offers a simpler text editor that could & should work on your tablet. Give it a try!

Phil

-- hide signature --
T Evergreen
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
In reply to philzucker, Apr 29, 2013

My wife has a new Toshiba lap top without a touch screen.  Windows 8 was driving her up the wall, but she found software for adding a Windows 7 Start menu.  She's using ClassicShell.  It's free.  It bypasses the Windows 8 start screen and goes straight to the start menu.  There must be a lot of complaining because I see that Microsoft is bringing back the start menu later this year.

brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,817Gear list
Like?
It's not you it's the new and evolving site software

I'm stuck using Android and need to juggle 3 browsers and two different soft keyboards to post or edit posts.

My recommenddation is switch to the mobile site when wanting to post then back when you need full site functions.  I've found Opera Mobile, the native Android browser in Jelly Bean 4.2.1 and ICS 4.0.4 and Firefox when I need Flash support.

So see it's quite a juggling act for mobile OS'es.  I expect even Windows based devices running WinRT or even Win8 full may have probs because the site software, especially the WYSWIG editor on the desktop site is buggy as can be.

brecklundin's gear list:brecklundin's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
Jim Beverlin
Like?
In reply to emem, Apr 29, 2013

Thanks for the response.  W8 has shades of Vista in it.  Another OS that I passed on.

-- hide signature --

JRB

Jim Beverlin
Like?
In reply to philzucker, Apr 29, 2013

philzucker wrote:

Jim Beverlin wrote:

Then in January I started using a Microsoft Surface tablet running W8 RT for convenience not that I am a lover of tablets (still trying to figure out their purpose)  or W8 (NOT).  At first all was well.  Now, I can pull up DPR articles along with reading threads but cannot reply to threads.  Trying to reply results in the reply directed to the "Write a Reply" page but the thread or post is never opened for me to issue a reply.  Same situation happens if the page is ""Reply with Quote".

Jim,

I think your problem is based on the browser technology available for tablets running the RT version of W8 on an ARM processor. AFAIK only IE10 and the fairly new Chinese browser "UC Browser HD" can run on those kind of tablets. I don't have one, but even on a normal W8 PC the UC Browser app doesn't load the text editor of dpreview's forum, so that wouldn't be any help, I guess.

The solution could be to force your browser - either IE10 or the aforementioned UC Browser HD - to use the mobile version of dpreview's site. For this click on the link "Mobile site" visible at the bottom of the page at the left next to the dpreview logo. Then the websites changes to its mobile version which offers a simpler text editor that could & should work on your tablet. Give it a try!

Phil

-- hide signature --

Thanks Phil - I will give the mobile version a try.

-- hide signature --

JRB

Jim Beverlin
Like?
In reply to Model Mike, Apr 29, 2013

Model Mike wrote:

emem wrote:

Agree. The consumer preview of Win 8 was enough to turn me off. The UI is a mess.  Finally went with Windows 7 64-bit for my new machine (Core i7 cpu, SSD and 2TB drive, plus Lightroom 4 and PS 5). Starts in seconds and RAW conversion with a 16MP sensor is quick.

To keep the PC in shape, I make sure I only install software if it's (a) 100% necessary and (b) known to be free of crapware like Java, unsolicited toolbars etc.

-- hide signature --

I bought a Lenovo ThinkPad back in December and so far no issues.  Same set up speaking W7 64 bit, core i7 on a SSD along with Lightrooom 4.  Should have bought it with a drive in the optical bay but I can add that later on.  I have plenty of external drives to hold me over for quite a while.

-- hide signature --

JRB

Jim Beverlin
Like?

Thanks to everyone for their comments.  I agree that W8 RT is the main issue.   With the tablet version (RT) it appears, and I could be mistaken, that you have few options or control over the tablet.

-- hide signature --

JRB

sir_bazz
sir_bazz MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,041Gear list
Like?

Working fine here......typed this reply from our daughters Surface RT tablet.

-- hide signature --

Zooms? pfffft!

sir_bazz's gear list:sir_bazz's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +2 more
Jim Beverlin
Like?
In reply to sir_bazz, Apr 30, 2013

sir_bazz wrote:

Working fine here......typed this reply from our daughters Surface RT tablet.

-- hide signature --

Zooms? pfffft!

Thanks.  Tired again with no luck.  Going to review the responses to my thread and give them a try

-- hide signature --

JRB

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads