7-14mm Struggles

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?
7-14mm Struggles
Apr 29, 2013

I visited Calaveras Big Trees State Park today with the 7-14mm lens I picked up a couple of months ago.  Lens flare everywhere.  I never had any trouble out here with the 8mm nor the 11-22mm but the 7-14mm is another story.

Any suggestions of how to overcome my limited skills to get the most out of this lens?

bofo777
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?
Re: 7-14mm Struggles
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Apr 29, 2013

Whenever your shooting into or close to the sun you may get the flare because of the convex front surface of the 7-14 lens.  You can easily see the flare in the view finder and then you can change your position or angle.  Also if you change to wider aperture instead of stopping down that also helps.  I've really enjoyed my 7-14-- keep shooting and hopefully you will too....

Took this pic at the Berkeley Marina yesterday..

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,929Gear list
Like?

Craig from Nevada wrote:

I visited Calaveras Big Trees State Park today with the 7-14mm lens I picked up a couple of months ago.  Lens flare everywhere.  I never had any trouble out here with the 8mm nor the 11-22mm but the 7-14mm is another story.

Any suggestions of how to overcome my limited skills to get the most out of this lens?

As another owner of the ZD 7-14 lens, I have found that the extra 2 mm on the wide end does make all the difference when it comes to the presence and frequency of flares.  There is an angle arc from the sun where this is present, and that depends on the angle of the sun.  I just play with it until it no longer shows in the viewfinder and then move just a bit more to take my shot.  Sometimes the flare adds to the photo, other times it looks like orbs.  In any case, I find trial and error and continued education through using the lens to be the fix.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Stefan Kaben
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,683Gear list
Like?

I have found that, if you are in the position you really want and can see flare in the viewfinder, there is a little trick (er, call it a technique) you can try. While looking through the viewfinder at the flare, extend a hand (or a hat or a card or ... ) up above the lens then gradually move it forward until -- with luck -- the flare disappears as the lens gets shaded. Move it too far forward and it'll show in the viewfinder. If there's still flare at that point, try changing its elevation above the lens and move it back and forth again. If you still can't get rid of the flare, then you just can't.

-- hide signature --
 Stefan Kaben's gear list:Stefan Kaben's gear list
Olympus E-M1
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Re: 7-14mm lens flare

This lens is prone to flare. If you point it towards the sun you'll get flare. It's more likely to occur when the sun is up at the corner of the frame at the short part of the hood where the cut-out is.

Stephans advice has worked for me many times. You're trying to shade the sun. I use my hand a lot but you can do this easily with a paper fan on a stick or a small reflector disc that comes on a spring ring. They fold up small and they're somewhat flexible so they're easy to carry. Anything that you can hold out there to create shade will work.

If you can't shade the sun without getting your hand in the frame, then you can't avoid the flare. You'll have to change your point of view. In your straight up tree shot, if you move to block the direct sunlight with one of the trees the flare would dissappear.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,796Gear list
Like?

Gidday Craig

I also have the 7~14. Exquisite lens ...

Agree with the others about shading with hand/hat etc. Sometimes someone can hold the shade for you with even better effect.

Ditto with slight changes of position.

Sometimes lens flare can work for you as well. I took some pics at an air show. In at least one of them I have the jet moving at around 1,000 feet per second at around 2,000~3,000 feet distance. I caught it coming out of the full orb of the sun, which is in the left/bottom corner of the frame.

What I didn't expect to get was the wonderful line of flare circles across the frame, such that the jet appears to be heading for a huge "eye" in the upper right corner of the frame! Pure serendipity ...

What really amazed me was that the camera didn't die with the full sun in the frame!
AND that I could still see after swinging the 50~200 at 200 across the sun with the OVF to my eye.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,650
Like?
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Apr 30, 2013

It comes with the territory. The lens is complex, the front element huge and protruding and the angle of view is enormous. All considered, the lens manages flare well but can't eliminate it. As noted, if you can shade the lens. If not, plan on getting some flare in the image. It's usually not disastrous.

As an aside, there are flare issues with the Panny 7-14 on the E-M5 that don't seem to be present with the ZD 7-14. Truly an amazing lens.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Rich Z
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,670Gear list
Like?
A few examples
In reply to Craig from Nevada, May 2, 2013

You've got to tame the beast, Craig. Excellent suggestions by the previous posters, all of which I use. Also, you can hone your post processing skills removing flare. The ZD 7-14 was the first really expensive lens I bought, around eight years ago. My learning curve with it was long and arduous and still continues, but nothing really good comes easy. I'd buy it all over again. The flare at the base of the sequoia in your shot is not hard to clone out. Nothing wraps a sky over your head in two dimensions like an ultra wide angle lens.  And, boy, can it stretch a Buick. Good luck with yours.  Rich

http://photobucket.com/dfr49_pix

Roger Engelken
Like?
Re: A few examples
In reply to Rich Z, May 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing those shots.  Te ZD 7-14 is definitely coming to Redwood Country in August.

Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Rich Z
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,670Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, May 2, 2013

You're welcome.  The Ferris Wheel is from the Redwood Acres Fair, last June.  Rich

http://photobucket.com/dfr49_pix

Roger Engelken
Like?
7-14mm Struggles - A few with this lens from today
In reply to Craig from Nevada, May 4, 2013

Teller Farm Trail, Boulder County, Colorado

Irrigation ditch along the trail

Crossing the irrigation ditch, and the cottonwoods have budded for Spring

Irrigation ditch with the Rocky Mountain Front Range in the distance

Crossing the irrigation ditch and looking to the Front Range

Here are a few from today at the harshest time of the day with the ZD 7-14 lens.  With all of our recent snowstorms, everything is green, and that is not that common, yet a good thing.  The time of day may have helped, but no flares.

Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to Rich Z, May 4, 2013

Thanks for the photos.  I had heard the 7-14 was a tough lens to work with and required some experience.   I have to hang in there with it.

Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, May 4, 2013

Roger:

Take the 8mm fisheye.  It is a lot of fun to use amongst the Redwoods.

Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to Craig from Nevada, May 4, 2013

Craig from Nevada wrote:

Roger:

Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, May 4, 2013

Thank you everyone for all the advice.  I have some work to do with this lens to be sure.  We are off to Zion and Grand Canyon next month.  I had always thought that these places would be ideal for this lens.

I better get out and work with it between now and then.

Roger Engelken
Like?
In reply to Craig from Nevada, May 5, 2013

Craig from Nevada wrote:

Roger:

Hmmm.  I have seventeen of the Zuiko lenses for the 4/3rds system.  You would identify one of the four I do not have.    Thank you for the recommendation.  

Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, May 5, 2013

Roger Engelken wrote:

Craig from Nevada wrote:

Roger:

Hmmm.  I have seventeen of the Zuiko lenses for the 4/3rds system.  You would identify one of the four I do not have.    Thank you for the recommendation.  

The 8mm fisheye can be found used for about $450 or so. Might as well  add your collection of HG glass.

Roger Engelken
Like?
In reply to Craig from Nevada, May 5, 2013

Craig from Nevada wrote:

Roger Engelken wrote:

Craig from Nevada wrote:

Roger:

The 8mm fisheye can be found used for about $450 or so. Might as well  add your collection of HG glass.

Pro Photo Rental in Boulder (less than ten miles from me) has the lens for rent at $81 for the time period I would use it, twelve days.  I may just go that option.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads